Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 02:15 AM

853 posts, read 648,644 times

Advertisements

Where to post this? In entertainment/arts or history?... I know this is not maybe the correct place to ask this question, but I need the opinion of people with knowledge in history and maybe you can orientate me better than in the other section of the forum.

The question is fairly simple: I am looking for a TV show, purely historical from time period: could be from Roman Empire, even before to 19th century. This question is because I started watching Versailles, I really like this time period, 17th century, but I am sorry to say I am disgusted (sorry I am not still good with english) or maybe is better to say disappointed with this TV show since I put my expectations too high. I need a TV show to forget Versailles as fast as possible. The more episodes I watch, the worse I feel. Seriously, neither Louis XIV and the royalty is well represented here. Big brother in Versailles Palace? Too modern for my taste, religion is a joke in this TV show in a period where religion was the center of any single human. Where is the passion for the music in Le Roi Soleil? where is Lully? I don't want to talk any further about it... The more I speak, the worse I feel...

Features I would like to see in a TV show: religion, architecture, military (huge battles ), uniforms, accurate speaking, historical accuracy. Not sexual orgies that seem that is the key in any historical TV show today. We know sex is not a thing of today, we know that every civilization loves to have sex, is neccesary to include sexual content in historical TV shows? Well, I need a good historical TV show from ancient times to 19th century. Favourite periods but not neccesarily a decisive factor to watch a TV show: Roman Empire, Medieval, 15th century, 16th century, 17th century, 18th century, 19th century.

Can't wait for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 07:06 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Current shows I can think of right now:

Turn: Washington Spies - on AMC, on the American Revolution, pretty good show, on it's last season
Mercy Street - on PBS set in the Civil War, also pretty good, not sure if it will return next year however.
The Last Kingdom - on Netflix/BBC. Based on Bernard Cromwell's Saxon Stories, set in old Britian. Also good. Interesting time period.

Note that none of these really have epic battles as those require budgets that go beyond the realm of TV. The Last Kingdom did have a few impressive shield wall battles. The three shows above are fairly accurate and are based on actual events and people, of course you will have some anachronisms and mistakes and most importantly "dramatic license".

Last edited by Dd714; 06-16-2017 at 07:18 AM..

Old 06-16-2017, 10:09 AM

608 posts, read 516,379 times
I would also recommend the last kingdom. I really liked the series Rome too. I don't know how close to history it is, but I liked enough to watch for a second time a few years later. I would recommend staying far away from the Bastard Executioner. I made it through about two episodes before I couldn't take it anymore. Katey Sagal as some shaman type? got sick of her in Sons Of Anarchy. I also liked Vikings quite a bit.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:43 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
I would also recommend the last kingdom. I really liked the series Rome too. I don't know how close to history it is, but I liked enough to watch for a second time a few years later. I would recommend staying far away from the Bastard Executioner. I made it through about two episodes before I couldn't take it anymore. Katey Sagal as some shaman type? got sick of her in Sons Of Anarchy. I also liked Vikings quite a bit.
Yeah, Bastard Executioner...I think I made it through 3 episodes. Disapointing. Later cancelled. Katey S. of course is married to the creator of both Bastard and SOA.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:26 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Drunk history
Drunk History - Series | Comedy Central Official Site | CC.com

Old 06-17-2017, 02:18 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Peaky Blinders (Netflix) and The Americans (Amazon Prime) give pretty excellent portrayals of historical/cultural eras (post-WWI UK and post-WWII/Cold War America).

Others: The Time In Between, Strange Empire, Dancing on the Edge, Versailles, Frontier, The Assets, Spies of Warsaw, The Same Sky, Rebellion, Magnificent Century, Magic City, Velvet, Romanzo Criminale, Empresses in the Palace, Lines of Wellington, The Paradise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History