Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 11:08 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times

Advertisements

While it's not necessarily wrong to say that the Civil War was about slavery/states' rights, this narrative reflects the Confederacy's perspective to the exclusion of the larger issue of the United States' developing economic power in an increasingly global economy. Lincoln was playing the long game in preserving the Union. Mass = power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 11:08 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Second, lets clarify the exclusion law of the northern states ...
What the hell does that have to do with this debate?
Typical response "The North was racist, too"

Nobody has said that people in the North were not racist or whatever
we are talking about why the South seceded, which ended up starting the civil war

Old 09-22-2017, 11:09 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
High school education is never meant to be the whole story about anything. Every field has a great deal more to learn for those who care to pursue it. The truth is often fairly complex and nuanced. Have fun in your studies!

Old 09-22-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
While it's not necessarily wrong to say that the Civil War was about slavery/states' rights, this narrative reflects the Confederacy's perspective to the exclusion of the larger issue of the United States' developing economic power in an increasingly global economy. Lincoln was playing the long game in preserving the Union. Mass = power.
It wasn't about state rights.... I'll write it again

South = Pushed federal government to protect the institution of slavery (Federal fugive slave laws) = Pro-Big government
North = Passed state laws to protect the free citizens of their states (Personal freedom laws) = Pro-State rights

Old 09-22-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It wasn't about state rights.... I'll write it again

South = Pushed federal government to protect the institution of slavery (Federal fugive slave laws) = Pro-Big government
North = Passed state laws to protect the free citizens of their states (Personal freedom laws) = Pro-State rights
One of the issues we have as Americans is that we forget that our country does not exist in a vacuum. We both act and are acted upon by global issues well beyond our borders. We should not overlook what Bismarck was doing in Europe around the same time and how that may have affected Lincoln's actions. To say that it was simply about slavery is allowing one side to control the narrative.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
One of the issues we have as Americans is that we forget that our country does not exist in a vacuum. We both act and are acted upon by global issues well beyond our borders. We should not overlook what Bismarck was doing in Europe around the same time and how that may have affected Lincoln's actions. To say that it was simply about slavery is allowing one side to control the narrative.
Go ahead and tell us what that is.... make your point

Old 09-22-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Go ahead and tell us what that is.... make your point
My point has been made. In Europe, Bismarck was busily unifying Germany. Why? Because mass = power. Secession of southern states made the United States vulnerable. Lincoln was playing a long game. It's not the whole story to say that the war was simply about slavery.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
My point has been made. In Europe, Bismarck was busily unifying Germany. Why? Because mass = power. Secession of southern states made the United States vulnerable. Lincoln was playing a long game. It's not the whole story to say that the war was simply about slavery.
Of course the war was to "preserve the union"
What brought that about? The South seceding
Why did they secede? Because Northern States weren't complying with Federal pro-slavery laws

Put it all together = Slavery caused the civil war

Old 09-22-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Of course the war was to "preserve the union"
What brought that about? The South seceding
Why did they secede? Because Northern States weren't complying with Federal pro-slavery laws

Put it all together = Slavery caused the civil war
I'm not arguing with you about slavery being the event that kicked off the secessionist cause. I'm not arguing with you at all. My point referred to the motives for Lincoln fighting to preserve the Union in the face of secession.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I'm not arguing with you about slavery being the event that kicked off the secessionist cause. I'm not arguing with you at all. My point referred to the motives for Lincoln fighting to preserve the Union in the face of secession.
Agree,
exact same reason Simon Bolivar tried to make South America into one nation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History