Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 04:34 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,511 times

Advertisements

I recorded the first 2 episodes yesterday afternoon and the wife and I watched them both last night. We enjoyed both of them and was wanting more. I find that HBOs release of this mini series a good move, especiallly when a lot folks in the USA are not content with the way things are presently. I would like to think that this series will be a breath of fresh air and something that will help instill pride in this country. It's sad that alot of folks today are plain lazy and just want things handed to them. Looking back on that time when our ancestores had to face so many difficulties and made such sacrifices to better themselves and fellow countrymen (and women) ... well it just makes me proud to be from this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 01:05 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,519 times
This mini series has not been a disappointment in any respect. I'm planning on tears for the rest of the episodes. Drat the emotions!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:25 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
I am only on episode 2 (watching it on HBO-on-demand at about an episode a night).

VERY enjoyable, well acted and produced, almost in a documentary style (hand held camera effects, etc), and from my understanding of the subject, historically accurate (I've read Sharaa's 2 volume novelzation of the American Independence and it follow's very closely his accounting of Adams and the events).

I'm also impressed that HBO did not cloud this under some modernization feel-good political correctness spell or fall into the revisionist history garbage. They touch on the slavery aspect, without any guilty sentiment. They also understand the unpopular fact that, without any cloudy seintimental judgement except political influences being portrayed, in some cases war and force of arms is the only answer in the face of tyranny.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:08 PM

438 posts, read 965,165 times
if you think some of what you've seen so far must've been rough to go through (tooth ache, skin cancer) imagine John's daughter Nabby and the breast cancer surgery she went through. By the way, the series kicks a**, the book does too and John Adams (till recently) is VASTLY underrated in his place for American History.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History