Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 11:11 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

Arthurian question! Sort of.

I realize this is going to come off as extremely oversimplified BUT...I am working on a short story. And this is something I've never really been able to figure out.

After the withdrawal of Rome in Britain, when the British were getting their bearings and "chieftanships" were popping back up - or being recognized - what did people call their rulers?

They obviously couldn't have called them kings, at the time. That's an Anglo-Saxon word...I think. Only the Saxons and Jutes and so on would have used their word for king. In retrospect we call them kings...King Vortigern and so on. But that's based on writings that were put down many centuries after the fact, and on our own understanding looking back.

But what would they have called them then? As a form of address (i.e. "lord") and when speaking OF them "the X of Dumnonia"?

Anybody know? Google isn't my friend on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 11:17 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
A completely sideways answer, but if you look into "king/pharaoh" usage in the various languages (on up to English, as in "Carter") you might find some useful parallels.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
A completely sideways answer, but if you look into "king/pharaoh" usage in the various languages (on up to English, as in "Carter") you might find some useful parallels.
Okay...this is the thing...when I try to look up, for example, "Celtic king," "celtic language king," "celtic term for king," etc. I'm coming up with just...a list of celtic kings in retrospect, LOL.

I'll keep digging though.

I guess it's possible nobody knows. Who knows...maybe I can just use the word anyway...obviously if we tried to stay true to a language when writing a book in a different language, well...the whole book would be in the first language.

I just thought they must have called their chieftains SOMETHING...you know? I may just roll with My Lord and the Lord.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:44 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%AD

Maybe this will help!

Old 04-24-2018, 12:54 PM

Thank you, Shiloh!!!!

Old 04-24-2018, 01:08 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Thank you, Shiloh!!!!

Here is something else:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Recon...ltic/r%C4%ABxs

Old 04-25-2018, 06:36 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
þæt wæs god cyning

That was a good king. Cyning (pronoucned like koening, or König in German) is the Old English word for King.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
þæt wæs god cyning

That was a good king. Cyning (pronoucned like koening, or König in German) is the Old English word for King.
Thank you! Yes, I didn't want to use "king" as I was looking for a Celtic root word.

But I may roll with Ri - which although it seems specifically gaelic, also has formats in other languages - or I may actually just wind up using "king." I may be being silly about this as all the REST of the story is written in English, LOL. I mean I'm not writing the thing in p-Celtic...I may be overthinking this.

But I LOVE all this information. I'm a history nerd and I love words as well so I can't thank everyone enough. This is awesome.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:52 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Thank you! Yes, I didn't want to use "king" as I was looking for a Celtic root word.

But I may roll with Ri - which although it seems specifically gaelic, also has formats in other languages - or I may actually just wind up using "king." I may be being silly about this as all the REST of the story is written in English, LOL. I mean I'm not writing the thing in p-Celtic...I may be overthinking this.

But I LOVE all this information. I'm a history nerd and I love words as well so I can't thank everyone enough. This is awesome.
It's your story. Call him whatever you want, and use context to explain the title's function. If you were writing sci-fi and had a character say "Take me to your leader" and that character was then introduced to a person who makes decisions called a "Zigwa", most readers will interpret "Zigwa" as "leader" at the very least.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:00 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Call him an "enya."

<runs away very fast>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History