Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 09:28 AM

543 posts, read 945,297 times

Advertisements

Here is a statement i have read so many times and in so many places it has to be true:
Bonaparte has had more books written about him than any other individual, with the sole exception of Jesus Christ.

Why do you think this is? He is in the same mold as Ceaser or Alexander(albeit slightly more famous and better known) as far as great rulers go. He was defeated by the Duke of Wellington who was born in the same year as he was. He was even quite short- not by his days standards I should point out but at 5'7 he'd be a midget in Paris today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 01:42 PM

7,303 posts, read 5,185,498 times
Average French male is 5'7.5" at present. Study: French are getting taller and fatter - Health - Fitness | NBC News

The French have never gotten over the fact that their greatest historic figure was Italian.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:21 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,091,610 times
A grenade thrown into a kitchen in France, would result in linoleum blown apart !

Old 09-07-2018, 05:42 PM

2,488 posts, read 1,565,950 times
IMHO Bonaparte’s story is so incredible it is hard to believe. He was one of history’s great conquerors, and he lived in relatively recent times (which may be the reason he is yet so popular a figure). I actually visited his tomb at the Dome des Invalides, Paris. Wow.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:11 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,186,205 times
Napoleon was one of the most brilliant generals in history, if not the most. He was also quite talented as ruler. So, yes, no wonder so many books were written on him.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:46 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,931,340 times
I've heard that and although he was a dynamic and important figure I have some doubts if these book were all about Napoleon or just related to that time in history. That entire era spanning some 20 or 30 years, and anything associated with it is essentially called "Napoleonic". So we have the Napoleonic wars, the Napoleonic code, the Napolenonic era, we even have napoleon ice cream.
Maybe some guy did some search on the titles of books with "napolean"in it and got some atronomical number of hits that had that term in the title. I am sure just as many books have been written about Hitler or Ceasar or Lincoln, but WW2 was not called the Hitlerean Wars. He also never got a flavor of ice cream named after him.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:20 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,000,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Here is a statement i have read so many times and in so many places it has to be true:
Bonaparte has had more books written about him than any other individual, with the sole exception of Jesus Christ.

Why do you think this is? He is in the same mold as Ceaser or Alexander(albeit slightly more famous and better known) as far as great rulers go. He was defeated by the Duke of Wellington who was born in the same year as he was. He was even quite short- not by his days standards I should point out but at 5'7 he'd be a midget in Paris today.
I wouldnt say he be a midget today. He is a manlet nowadays sure, but not a midget.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:41 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,177,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
we even have napoleon ice cream.
I've never encountered that. Neapolitan ice cream was the name given to Spumone when Italy exported it to the US, it's the one with the three flavors side by side. What is napoleon ice cream?

Old 09-09-2018, 10:19 PM

543 posts, read 945,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I've heard that and although he was a dynamic and important figure I have some doubts if these book were all about Napoleon or just related to that time in history. That entire era spanning some 20 or 30 years, and anything associated with it is essentially called "Napoleonic". So we have the Napoleonic wars, the Napoleonic code, the Napolenonic era, we even have napoleon ice cream.
Maybe some guy did some search on the titles of books with "napolean"in it and got some atronomical number of hits that had that term in the title. I am sure just as many books have been written about Hitler or Ceasar or Lincoln, but WW2 was not called the Hitlerean Wars. He also never got a flavor of ice cream named after him.
I bought one quite well reviewed one released two years ago called Napoleon: A life and many reviews mention the fact that he is perhaps the most biographed human being alive. And there are a ton of books on him and I mean proper biographies. Heck I have 5 I got online from various eras on freaking torrentbay. There are three on his horse Marengo which are free online.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:33 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,931,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I've never encountered that. Neapolitan ice cream was the name given to Spumone when Italy exported it to the US, it's the one with the three flavors side by side. What is napoleon ice cream?
I have no idea what I was trying to say, that's embarrassing. I blame bad jet lag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History