Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 12:32 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,056,984 times

Advertisements

Maybe because the welfare system was still new & blue compared to nowadays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 01:54 PM

8,513 posts, read 6,933,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think it was the My Lai Massacre that turned our hearts against the Vietnam vets. Obviously, not all soldiers participated in the massacre, but the coverage of it painted American soldiers pretty badly.
The My Lai Massacre as bad as it was was in one no way typical of the conduct of the majority of Americans in Vietnam. Sadly there have been a few bad actors in just about every war this country has fought. It was played up in the press and insinuated to be typical conduct by our troops.

From my own experience for instance in the Marine Corps there was a program where corpsmen regularly visited villages and hamlets in their zone of operations and gave routine health care to any Vietnamese civilian that had a health problem.

Old 10-12-2019, 02:26 PM

30,694 posts, read 18,331,919 times
You have quite a few who tried their best to treat Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans as trash (similar to how many treated Vietnamese veterans), but I think the left realized how unwise (politically) that was.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:55 PM

16,728 posts, read 15,734,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
You have quite a few who tried their best to treat Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans as trash (similar to how many treated Vietnamese veterans), but I think the left realized how unwise (politically) that was.
That's one of the strangest things I've seen somebody post about this subject. Many people saw no reason for the US to be in Vietnam. Since the war was so divisive, and so many of the soldiers were forced to participate, there weren't any public celebrations when they came home.

We were told the Afganistan and Iraq wars were responses to the attacks on America on September 11, 2001. Therefore, there wasn't a problem with knowing why our soldiers were there. Everyone in the military is now a voluntary participant.

This is not about left/right. The differences between today's circumstances and Vietnam are abundantly clear without trying to turn this into a political discussion.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:45 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,029,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That's one of the strangest things I've seen somebody post about this subject. Many people saw no reason for the US to be in Vietnam. Since the war was so divisive, and so many of the soldiers were forced to participate, there weren't any public celebrations when they came home.

We were told the Afganistan and Iraq wars were responses to the attacks on America on September 11, 2001. Therefore, there wasn't a problem with knowing why our soldiers were there. Everyone in the military is now a voluntary participant.

This is not about left/right. The differences between today's circumstances and Vietnam are abundantly clear without trying to turn this into a political discussion.
you do know that 2/3 of the soldiers who served in Vietnam enlisted/volunteered

Old 10-12-2019, 11:48 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,987,245 times
I can't begin to tell you how many people thank my husband for service. No one has ever been anything but kind.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-14-2019, 09:49 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,173,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I can't begin to tell you how many people thank my husband for service. No one has ever been anything but kind.
My DH has the same experience. It sorta embarrasses him. I asked him if he ever experienced anything bad upon his return, but he just left that all behind and got on with his life. He never walked around in a uniform, etc. except when he was still working on base...

It was a different time. Lots of people were checking out of American life, free love and drugs and all that...so the military and any establishment rules etc. was not a good thing for many. These days there is much more respect for those who serve.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:48 PM

16,133 posts, read 10,811,231 times
We have a better understanding of PTSD and other war related residual issues than we did 50 years ago. I don't think there was a conscious effort to treat recent vets better. The whole situation was different. Vietnam was very unpopular -- mostly unpopular. Opposition to Iraq pales by comparison. Vietnam had no clear purpose, no apparent plan, and thousands were drafted into service to fight there. My experience was that some vets went out of their way to oppose or even threaten those protesting the war so that may have prompted some broader ill treatment or animosity toward vets, especially on campus. The supposed bad treatment claims have been somewhat inflated over the decades to the point where it almost seems every Vietnam vet was treated poorly. I never saw it and none of my friends experienced it but apparently some did but much fewer than commonly perceived.

Old 10-15-2019, 04:11 AM

17,657 posts, read 17,782,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
No one ever yelled, spit or discriminated against me when I came back. This whole treatment issue I think was mostly a myth and an invention of Hollywood anti war films. I don’t doubt some vets may have been treated poorly but I think they were in the minority.

I received a generous Vietnam War bonus check from the state I lived in at the time. The federal government paid thousands of dollars to send me through university where I obtained a BA degree. I got a decent well paying job in the insurance industry.
Kind of hard to document actual incidents in a era before cell phone cameras.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:54 AM

8,513 posts, read 6,933,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Kind of hard to document actual incidents in a era before cell phone cameras.
Oh it’s well documented by news cameras using old fashioned film. But in my case I just didn’t experience such a situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History