Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 07:24 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,229,962 times

Advertisements

Remember

"Some people did something"

Ilhan Omar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 12:51 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,927,901 times
Just a reminder that the History Channel runs a full day of programming about 9/11 every year on the day. I always make sure to watch one or two. It's my small way of honoring those who lost their lives to those butchers. It also helps me to stay pissed off.

Old 09-09-2020, 01:11 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
I was at my family's home in Brooklyn, which is approximately 3.5 miles from Ground Zero. On impact of the first plane hitting the north tower, items in the house vibrated that made us think we were experiencing a small earthquake. At the time we didn't have a television (long story), but my father--who worked in Manhattan--called home to let us know what was happening. At the time, we were able to see the Twin Towers from the corner of our block (this was pre-taller building boom in our area), so walked to the corner and just watched.

When the second tower was hit, I was grabbing coffee for an elderly neighbor at the Dominican restaurant down the block. I didn't feel that one, but I heard the explosions associated with the impact.

I later saw one of the towers implode . . . it wasn't clear to us what was happening, but a neighbor came outside and said "the World Trade Center is no more." There was so much smoke as a result of the collapse that it wasn't clear to me that the tower had fallen.

The smell of burning metal and paper lingered for a while and I don't think I ever got used to the figher jets patrolling the skies of NYC.

Still remember that day as it if was yesterday. Incredibly sad.

Old 09-09-2020, 01:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
remember the incredibly massive amounts of death and destruction that the US brought to countless innocent people for the actions of a few dozen people.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:00 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
I remember but......I do not feel as "the rest of the country".

That day, I did not feel shock but more of, "Now you finally understand what is out in the world, now you can join the fight the rest of us have known, been doing for decades.". And I will leave it there.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:53 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
I can’t believe it will be 19 years on Friday. I flew over the towers that sunny Tuesday morning at around 6:30am. Couldn’t go back to my office a couple of blocks away for many months due to debris and unsafe conditions.

Still feel it today.

My wife visited the memorial a year ago and mentioned one of the exhibits to her father. He knew the guy that was referred to.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:57 PM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I grew up in North Jersey, not far from NYC. I was living in South Jersey near Fort Dix. I was on my way to a neuro appointment when it started going down. I had to wait until I could drive to leave. I 1st got my daughter from school, then my son. Both schools were near the base. We were all worried Fort Dix would be a target.

I personally don't know anyone that was there, I know of people thru people.

Life totally changed by the base. We weren't allowed to drive near it and had to drive 10 miles out of our way to get to main highways and a lot of other places I used to shop. Businesses closed due to it.

I got married November after the attacks. My stepson wasn't allowed to fly to Florida because his wife was freaked out. He was the only family invited to our wedding.
You know me, Jersey girl!

One World Trade Center, on the 43rd Floor at 8:46 a.m.

Old 09-10-2020, 01:31 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

MightyQueen, Your story took my breath away and left tears the day I read it. If anyone here hasn't had the opportunity to know of your ordeal, Let it be said here.

You are remembered and your Life story is linked to that Horrid Day and weeks that followed.

There are near'y few Life Touchstone Moments that set folks in a different direction. 9/11 was one of them.

Flight 93 was the one that echoed in our area....

Old 09-10-2020, 03:41 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I'm not sure if I've ever read your story. You should add it to your profile in a blog. I can't even imagine being there and finally being able to get out of the building. It was total chaos from what I saw. So many people trying to get out, add smoke, dust, debris... I hope you don't have any health issues due to it like I know some people had. Big hugs

Growing up in Union County only 20 minutes from the city, plus I worked in Watchung, lots of people worked in the city, I don't recall if I've ever looked at the list of names for those that didn't make it out.

Most parents in my town picked their kids up from the school that day. They were in lock down; the schools in Jersey were forever changed that day. You could no longer just walk in to get your kid out of school. After getting my kids home, we had the TV on, of course it was playing on all of the stations. We couldn't stop watching everything going down. It was so surreal.

My hub drives a car carrier and was working out of Port Jersey. Thankfully he rarely went into NYC to deliver cars, so I was 90% sure he wasn't there, but trying to get a hold of him didn't happen. I had to wait until he finally got home to hear if he was in the port and where his loads went.

I hope that nothing like that ever happens in the US again, but you never know, especially with technology getting smaller all of the time and the invention of drones.

Old 09-10-2020, 03:47 AM

9 posts, read 1,565 times
Thank you...... We must not ever forget this aweful day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History