Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2021, 09:34 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times

Advertisements

We all know about the secessions, or attempted secessions, that involved lots of fighting. The American Civil War and Yugoslavia are among the better known examples. But have there been any cases where a part of a country broke off and became its own country without any fighting? If so, how did they do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 11:06 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
We all know about the secessions, or attempted secessions, that involved lots of fighting. The American Civil War and Yugoslavia are among the better known examples. But have there been any cases where a part of a country broke off and became its own country without any fighting? If so, how did they do it?
The Czech and Slovak republics. I believe it was through mutual negotiation. Vaclav Havel, playwright and essayist, was president at the time.

He once spoke at a joint session of Congress, I believe.

His plays and essays are worth reading, at least in my experience.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...bing_the_Peace

All the best!

Old 03-11-2021, 12:14 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,514,758 times
I have friends in the Czech Republic dating back to times when we had "pen pals." One was a student at the Medical College of VA (MCV) at the time and another was visiting at the time staying with me. My friend at MCV was from Slovakia. He chose Czech citizenship, his brother chose Slovak. I recall the ambassador on TV in an interview saying that they were certainly not going to fight each other and then she pointed out that they didn't fight the Germans from coming in. As I recall, the Czechs immediately issued new currency so the Slovaks were on their own economically.

Of course, the biggest modern example is the USSR which devolved into many nations.

For a time there was a sovereign state called the United Arab Republic which consisted of the union of Egypt and Syria. It only lasted about 15 years.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:34 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,710,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
For a time there was a sovereign state called the United Arab Republic which consisted of the union of Egypt and Syria. It only lasted about 15 years.
The union lasted three years, from 1958 until Syria left in 1961. Egypt continued to call itself the United Arab Republic for another ten years, but not long after Nasser died and Sadat became President he ended the pretense.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:37 PM

197 posts, read 125,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
We all know about the secessions, or attempted secessions, that involved lots of fighting.* The American Civil War and Yugoslavia are among the better known examples.* But have there been any cases where a part of a country broke off and became its own country without any fighting?* If so, how did they do it?
Macedonia declared independence from Yugoslavia in 1991. The federal Yugoslav government did not resist this move for a variety of reasons, the most significant being that Macedonia had only a small Serbian minority (the Belgrade government being Serb-dominated), and Belgrade rather had its hands full fighting in Croatia and Bosnia. Later, Montenegro seceded peacefully in 2006. While Yugoslavia opposed the move, by that time it was in no position to contest it either militarily (given the likely Western intervention that would have resulted) or politically. Thus, there was no bloodshed.

There are a few other examples.

Of course, there's the so-called Velvet Divorce between the Czech and Slovak portions of Czechoslovakia in 1993.

Finland from the embryonic USSR (or whatever the Bolshevik government called itself then - I forget), in part because Lenin and company were in no position to resist it, but also for political/ideological reasons. I believe the breaking away of the Baltics from the Russian orbit at the same time was also accomplished without resistance, for much the same reasons. In the Finland and the Baltic states, however, there was civil conflict. Fighting, yes, but concerned the natures of the new states, not to establish the new states.

The breakup of the USSR. While there was some fighting revolving around independence movements around this time, when the collapse came it largely happened uneventfully. And not all of the 14 republics which separated the the successor state Russia experienced violence. Again, this was partially because of a weakened Moscow that hadn't the political will to oppose the breakup.

Not only did Malaysia not oppose Singapore's independence, they expelled Singapore from the city from the country, whereupon it became a sovereign city-state.

Also, didn't Norway and Sweden peacefully split at one point?

Old 03-18-2021, 11:37 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
U.S. examples:
  1. Maine from Massachusetts
  2. Vermont from New York State
  3. West Virginia from Virginia
Scandinavian examples:
  1. Norway from Sweden.
  2. Iceland from Denmark.
Also, Panama from Colombia.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:01 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,514,758 times
The WV / VA separation should be remembered that it took place during the Civil War. It was not peaceful. An estimated 30,000 fought for the Union, an estimated 12,000 for the CSA. https://encyclopediavirginia.org/ent...ntion-of-1861/

Panama separating from Columbia was part of the bloody Thousand Days' War.

If we are going to look at US examples, then a closer look at VA is in order. Putting aside the Second Virginia Charter (1609) which granted to VA lands from sea to sea (they of course had no idea there was an entire continent), Virginia granted to the newly formed US, though the Northwest Ordinance in 1787 lands which would become OH, MI, IN, IL WI and some of MN. https://www.mountvernon.org/library/...est-ordinance/

Old 03-18-2021, 01:35 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
The WV / VA separation should be remembered that it took place during the Civil War. It was not peaceful. An estimated 30,000 fought for the Union, an estimated 12,000 for the CSA. https://encyclopediavirginia.org/ent...ntion-of-1861/
I don't know that there was any bloodshed in the secession from Virginia, or the remaining of loyalty to the Union, of those western counties of VA.
Quote:
That I did not know. Thanks.
Quote:
If we are going to look at US examples, then a closer look at VA is in order. Putting aside the Second Virginia Charter (1609) which granted to VA lands from sea to sea (they of course had no idea there was an entire continent), Virginia granted to the newly formed US, though the Northwest Ordinance in 1787 lands which would become OH, MI, IN, IL WI and some of MN. https://www.mountvernon.org/library/...est-ordinance/
I should have given Kentucky's secession from VA as an example.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:35 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,051 times
Quote:

I'm actually a bit surprised that *West Virginians that fought in the Confederate Army in various Virginia regiments and guerilla outfits are not covered all that often. Many southern WV counties that make up modern West Virginia voted for secession in 1861.

*Virginians that were made into West Virginians by Unionist separatists by force of the Federal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History