Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 07:58 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I have always felt Germany should have ceased to exist at the end of WWII, as the price of its depravity. It should have been parceled out at end of war, with German non Jewish citizens 16 or older at start of atrocities (I'd place start as Kristallnacht) , forbidden to ever vote again, no matter where they lived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If it weren't for the imperative (presumed or otherwise) to contain Stalin, Russia and communism
things likely would have been much worse for Germany post WWII.

Morgenthau (one of the few Jews in Roosevelt's administration or cabinet) wanted to see Germany suffer on same level or worse than Treaty of Versailles. Calmer heads soon prevailed in realizing the errors of those actions and believed if (west) Germans were treated so badly by allies they'd welcome Stalin/Russia like conquering heroes. Then Russia would have her hooks into Europe up to border with France and so forth. That just couldn't be allowed to happen.

If you believe Germans and Austrians for that matter, then and still now they believe have suffered and paid their dues.

On an actual score of those committing heinous war crimes actually being punished, not a bit of it.

Yes, both in Nuremberg, Russia and maybe some other places trials were held, and yes good number were either executed or imprisoned for their crimes, in reality those numbers were a drop in bucket.

Some German military involved with Babyn Yar massacre were tried, convicted and either executed or imprisoned by Russia, but again actual numbers pale in comparison to those involved. You can see some recorded footage of trails in links above.

By late 1950's into 1960's France, Germany and other countries in Europe were passing general amnesty or otherwise letting what small numbers of those imprisoned for war crimes set free. Russia IIRC wasn't so willing to forgive and forget, so German POWs or those otherwise being held didn't often have such lucky escapes.
Opposing the Soviets was an imperative at the end of the war, but so was rebuilding Europe. What many do not understand is the degree to which the economies of the European countries were connected. Tearing Germany apart or preventing its resurgence as an industrial power not only would have dragged Germany down it would have severely hurt neighboring countries as well. Germany was a modern industrialized country that produced steel, automobiles, and machines. The destruction of its industrial plant during the war was harmful to all of Europe, not just Germany. Rebuilding that industrial plant was a critical factor in restoring the entire European economy.

The Morgenthau Plan was devised by a justifiably angry man who was more interested in punishing Germany for its sins than he was in getting Europe back on its feet. It simply wasn't practical if we wanted to keep Europe from drifting towards the communists.

I think history has played out in a way that demonstrated that we made the right decision in helping Germany get back on its feet by burying the Morgenthau Plan and instead developing the Marshall Plan. By the mid-1950's Germany had made great strides and the other European countries were coming back too. Perhaps, more importantly though, the German people on their own have demonstrated their rejection of nazism through the creation of one of the most strongest democratic governments on earth. Totalitarianism has no future in Germany because the German people learned a lesson as a result of their defeat and the postwar administration of their country by the allies. Also, the division of Germany into two zones (one Soviet controlled) may have ultimately been positive as well in the sense it showed the German people what the "fruits of war" were.

Tradeoffs had to be made. However, the correct decisions were made at the end of the war.

The American people through their actions following the war demonstrated we were perhaps the most generous victors in a war that have ever existed. I think sometimes what we Americans overlook is the power of our own example. I think our occupation of parts of Germany gave the German people an opportunity to closely observe us. While we were not perfect I think many Germans realized through our example that emulating Americans in many respects would produce a better society that the one they had. Our example was far more effective in reforming Germany than punishing Germans would have been.

Last edited by markg91359; 10-03-2021 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 01:46 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
First or not, still disgustingly horrible.

Probably the best ( and the most terrifying) book on this event ( and may be on the whole WWII) that I've ever read was the book written by Anatoly Kuznetsov. He was a Ukrainians teenager back then, so he witnessed step by step everything what was going there - everything surrounding the events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babi_Y...orm_of_a_Novel

https://www.amazon.com/Babi-Yar-Docu.../dp/0374528179

I've read it back in my childhood ( unknowingly and unprepared for what I was getting into.)

Don't want to touch it ever again.

Last edited by erasure; 10-04-2021 at 02:18 PM..

Old 10-07-2021, 12:01 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,665 times
so many were buried in these early killings that the bodies had to be dug up and burned for fear of poisoning the ground water....(the ground moved from bloated decaying bodies)...it was found that women having more fat then men were placed on the bottom to aid burning...

the ww2 Russo-german war contained no good guys and researching it as i have almost destroys belief in the overall goodness of humanity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History