Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 02:45 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,223,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOzarkLady View Post
All African Americans had to go around the side of the building, up outdoor stairs and sit in the balcony. White children, the boys would throw popcorn boxes up in the air and get it on the people in the balcony and if they complained, they were kicked out without a ticket refund.

I do not remember any issue with Mexican, or Latino people.
Nobody who grew up during segregation remembers Mexicans or "Spanish/Latin" people ever being segregated. It's a mystery why so many people, even mainstream sources, today are claiming that they were. There's a new wave of revisionism that's trying to rewrite American history pretending that segregation had something to do with "Latinos".

If Mexicans were segregated surely somebody in Texas would have known that before now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2021, 02:55 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No. Dark-skinned Mexicans were considered white for all purposes of Jim Crow segregation. If you watched the first hand accounts, they were obviously "brown" Mexicans and were honest that they could use white public accommodations.

Doubtful. Puerto Ricans were overwhelmingly considered white and only affected by segregation if they were very obviously of African descent - think Roberto Clemente. Otherwise they were "Spanish" and that was white.

Was your father every considered black? No? Then he was not a minority.
Nope.

You aren't familiar with PR. I've had PRs ask me if I was "white" or "Puerto Rican". One even decided for me. She said I was "white".

You are unaware that before Truman desegregated the military, PRs were often put in their own units. Google the 65th Infantry.

My Dad was considered a "minority" when he lived on the Mainland. Did you miss the story about my uncle? He had to go to another state to get married due to miscegenation laws. BTW, when their sister got a DL back in the day, they listed her race as "negro". She made a stink about it and got it changed.

Black in PR didn't suffer from segregation in PR. On the Mainland, it was another story. Did you miss where I said interracial marriage was widely accepted in PR?

Old 10-24-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You are unaware that before Truman desegregated the military, PRs were often put in their own units. Google the 65th Infantry.
The 65th Infantry was part of the white units.

Quote:
My Dad was considered a "minority" when he lived on the Mainland. Did you miss the story about my uncle? He had to go to another state to get married due to miscegenation laws. BTW, when their sister got a DL back in the day, they listed her race as "negro". She made a stink about it and got it changed.
There were some Puerto Ricans who were considered black - if they were obviously of African descent. I mentioned Roberto Clemente. But that was few of them. PRs were normally considered white.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:06 PM

270 posts, read 193,459 times
Quote:
Nobody who grew up during segregation remembers Mexicans or "Spanish/Latin" people ever being segregated. It's a mystery why so many people, even mainstream sources, today are claiming that they were. There's a new wave of revisionism that's trying to rewrite American history pretending that segregation had something to do with "Latinos".

If Mexicans were segregated surely somebody in Texas would have known that before now.
Your point?
I would not say nobody remembers Mexicans or Porto Ricans being segregated, I cannot speak for that, but I do know African Americans were segregated and so were some folks who looked "colored" at that time. Basically, anyone who did not fit the standard white image might be segregated if someone who was white complained.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:17 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Nope.

You aren't familiar with PR. I've had PRs ask me if I was "white" or "Puerto Rican". One even decided for me. She said I was "white".

Black in PR didn't suffer from segregation in PR. On the Mainland, it was another story. Did you miss where I said interracial marriage was widely accepted in PR?
Well if almost all who were known to have Puerto Rican heritage were sent to to the 65th Infantry like those designated as Colored until 1947 and those as Japanese American from 1942 to 1946 were then you might have a point about discrimination. It was more of a language based augmentation to essentially a local full time National Guard unit since other regular army regiments were not raised with a link to a local area as was done with Civil War units..

A similar segregation would have been the early WWII drafts of Chinese Americans were prioritized to the engineering and support units earmarked for the China Burma India Theatre during WWII but before during WWI and later in the WWII Chinese Americans went into the general replacement pool and could be assigned anywhere like other soldiers. Except those who were determined Black because of the single drop rule of a known Black ancestor or the induction center used a crud paper bag test and decided anyone dark enough had to be black.

In effect Latinos were not segregated by the US government for being Latino, but rather some were assumed to be Black Latinos and segregated for being Black.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Did you miss the story about my uncle? He had to go to another state to get married due to miscegenation laws.
Well rock and roll star Buddy Holly got married to a Puerto Rican in Lubbock Texas, 1958 - when interracial marriage was very illegal. They never had a problem and were never considered to be a mixed race couple

If you notice she doesn't look completely European and probably has some "smokey" ancestry. But she, like nearly all Puerto Ricans at the time, was considered white.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:53 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
People today just refuse to believe this.

I tell people all the the time, "In the South, the Chinese were white".

There's a new wave of historical revisionism that's trying to write other ethnic groups into the history of legal segregation in the United States. They're rewriting the whole history of Texas pretending that Mexicans were minorities like black people, and they were riding on the back of the bus with blacks. It simply isn't true.
There was discrimination against Mexicans in Texas during that period. Certainly not to the extent that it was for Blacks. But they had what they called "Juan Crow" laws. The segregation was most notable in housing.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
But they had what they called "Juan Crow" laws. The segregation was most notable in housing.
They're making this up! There was no such thing as "Juan Crow" laws. This is like people who made up "Jane Crow" for women.

A reporter Robert Lovato in 2007 coined the term "Juan Crow" to criticize immigration enforcement making an analogy to Jim Crow laws. And people are pretending that that's a real thing, and projecting that onto history.

There have never been any laws in Texas history that discriminated against or excluded Mexicans, people with Spanish surnames, people of Spanish origin, or whatever it means to be a "hispanic". That did not exist. There is no such "Juan Crow" legislation on the books.

The only laws on the books that pertain to Mexicans were those that legally defined them as white.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:14 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
They're making this up! There was no such thing as "Juan Crow" laws. This is like people who made up "Jane Crow" for women.

A reporter Robert Lovato in 2007 coined the term "Juan Crow" to criticize immigration enforcement making an analogy to Jim Crow laws. And people are pretending that that's a real thing, and projecting that onto history.

There have never been any laws in Texas history that discriminated against or excluded Mexicans, people with Spanish surnames, people of Spanish origin, or whatever it means to be a "hispanic". That did not exist. There is no such "Juan Crow" legislation on the books.

The only laws on the books that pertain to Mexicans were those that legally defined them as white.
Agreed that the "Juan Crow" laws were euphamistic for sure. But they existed in terms of the social mores and customs of those times.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:17 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
That was special education for Spanish speakers - ESL education. That had nothing to do with racial segregation.
Sorry, not entirely true. There were some ESL schools but not all were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History