Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 08:45 PM

825 posts, read 2,819,925 times

Advertisements

Frank Miller is writing a follow up graphic novel/comic book to his interpretation of the Battle of Thermopylae in 300. There's a possibility Warner will pick it up and turn it into a prequel/sequel.

What are your ideas on what a plot for this might look like? Remember, Gerard Butler can't play a role in a sequel because his character dies. Since I posted this here, I'm interested in how you would use the Greek history to craft such a story.

I'm posting this in the Movie forum too which should provide a different, but equally interesting, discussion.

Let's hear your story ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 09:14 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Well if he wants to stick with the Spartans he can do Platea and the rise and fall of Pausanias.

Or he could do Gylippus at Syracuse.

I'd like to see the Spartans look real----dreadlocks and Amish farmer beards with shaved upper lip. Put Pausanias in real gear too---bronze cuirass and Cornithian helmet. Or do Gylippus in the Spartan gear of his time----a simple sleeveless tunic and no armor save a simple pot helmet. But we gotta have the dreadlocks and Amish beards.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:45 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
I have complete faith in the storytelling ability of Frank Miller.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:56 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,909 times
I wonder if most people realise 300 is very twisted, and that Sparta was fascist (as opposed to Athens) whereas the Persians under Cyrus declared the first charter of human rights. It's a most serious issue for everyone who has watched or is planning to watch 300. I'm aware it's a comic based fantasy version. It's just unfortunate how some without knowledge in history believe it's an actual depiction which I find difficult to understand. It's very sad. It's amazing how fiction can have such power over people.

Important read: Dr. Kaveh Farrokh-The 300 Movie: Separating Fact from Fiction

Old 08-01-2008, 01:24 AM

956 posts, read 3,002,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
What are your ideas on what a plot for this might look like?
Rome.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:47 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
I wonder if most people realise 300 is very twisted, and that Sparta was fascist (as opposed to Athens) whereas the Persians under Cyrus declared the first charter of human rights. It's a most serious issue for everyone who has watched or is planning to watch 300. I'm aware it's a comic based fantasy version. It's just unfortunate how some without knowledge in history believe it's an actual depiction which I find difficult to understand. It's very sad. It's amazing how fiction can have such power over people.

Important read: Dr. Kaveh Farrokh-The 300 Movie: Separating Fact from Fiction

The Spartans believed in freedom---for the Spartiates. And slavery or subjection for the Helots and Dwellers About.

The reason the Spartans had a militaristic society was not so they could venture forth and do war with outsiders, no. The reason was so they could control the Helots at home. Which is why the Spartans were generally loath to leave their homeland and fight away from it---they feared a slave rebellion if they were gone.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:56 PM

26 posts, read 75,609 times
All of the main characters are dead now! What's next, a sequel to the Departed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History