Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 05:54 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times

Advertisements

My mom was telling me about the moors a couple of days ago..and i wanted to ask..

For how long did the north african moors conquered Spain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 PM

594 posts, read 1,778,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute Force View Post
My mom was telling me about the moors a couple of days ago..and i wanted to ask..

For how long did the north african moors conquered Spain?
The Moors occupied parts of Spain for nearly 800 years, starting in the year 711 when the Berbers invaded from North Africa. Spain, under the rule of Ferdinand and Isabella, finally forced the remaining Moors to leave Spain in 1492. During their occupation, the Moors emphasized and developed a highly educated society. A good book on the subject is "The Ornament of the World" by Maria Rosa Menocal. I hope this helps!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:59 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
Oh, here I thought this was a geography question about England.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:00 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
The Spanish fight against the Moors (Moros in Spanish) was a very bitter one, mainly because the Roman Catholic church was determined to "ethnically cleanse" Muslim religion and influence from the Iberian peninsula. Many of the incredible grand mosques in Southern Spain were converted to Catholic cathedrals. Many muslims that have immigrated to Spain in recent decades now want their mosques back, and I have even read about radical islamic groups in Spain that want to re-establish Spain as a muslim nation!

Just south of Brownsville, Texas is the city of Matamoros, Tamaulipas (Mexico). Matamoros is a city named in honor of the "Moor Killers", so that gives you a rough idea of how the leaders of Spain felt about the Moors a few centuries ago.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the replies guys ! .

I did some research on the moors in spain and i found out they lived mostly in the southern region (cordoba being full muslim during that time), here are some pictures of cordoba...

http://www.goabbeyroad.com/images/WebPhotos_Andalusia/CordobaStreet.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-09-2008, 12:06 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
You mean the Moops, right???

Old 09-09-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
The Spanish fight against the Moors (Moros in Spanish) was a very bitter one, mainly because the Roman Catholic church was determined to "ethnically cleanse" Muslim religion and influence from the Iberian peninsula. Many of the incredible grand mosques in Southern Spain were converted to Catholic cathedrals. Many muslims that have immigrated to Spain in recent decades now want their mosques back, and I have even read about radical islamic groups in Spain that want to re-establish Spain as a muslim nation!

Just south of Brownsville, Texas is the city of Matamoros, Tamaulipas (Mexico). Matamoros is a city named in honor of the "Moor Killers", so that gives you a rough idea of how the leaders of Spain felt about the Moors a few centuries ago.
Such a tragedy.

Do you think the leaders of spain had any moorish blood in them?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:09 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

Well it might be that the Spanish themselves, regardless of the Church, wanted to rid Spain of an alien culture, alien religion and alien overlords. Invaders.

And if people choose to have a Catholic culture, if Catholocism lights some fire in their breasts then good for them.

Something tells me the Spaniards aren't gonna put up with too much crap from modern Moslems.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:39 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,715 times
How Spain finally expelled the Moors is a very interesting fact also..
Reconquista - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-10-2008, 07:47 AM

594 posts, read 1,778,139 times
According to Spanish scholar Joseph Perez and author of "The Spanish Inquisition" at least 38,000 Muslims, Jews and minorities were put to death during the Inquisition, often in a most hideous manner. That is probably a very conservative figure. The church-appointed chief Inquisitor, Torquemada, did his work thoroughly and effectively. Interestingly, his grandmother had been a Jew, but as author James Reston jr, points out, it only seemed "to drive his passion against Jews and Christians of Jewish heritage into a determined and permanent rage."

The long-term impact on Spainish society was profound. Like the religious-driven persecution and expulsion of the Huguenots from France. thousands of the intelligentsia fled and few men of letters and science were to be found. Economic development slowed, books were banned or censored and few activities escaped the watchful eye of the inquisitors.

The Inquisition set Spain back hundreds of years, and as late as 1876 Manuel de la Revilla wrote, "It is intolerance, even more than despotism, that has ruined the culture of our land." Indeed, the repercussions of the Inquisition have lasted almost to the present day. In Antony Beevor's excellent book on the Spanish Civil War of the 1930s, he reported that many Spanish tenant farmers were so reduced by poverty they had never even tasted meat!

A book that I would like to recommend that gives a comprehensive overview of this period is James Reston, jr's, "Dogs of God: Columbus, the Inquisition and the Defeat of the Moors." By the way, Reston is also the author of "Warriors of God," an excellent chronicle of the Crusades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History