Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 05:05 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I think it was the March, 1801 day when John Adams climbed into a carriage and peacefully headed back to Boston the morning that Thomas Jefferson took the oath of office as the new president. This was the first true affirmation of the American experiment, the first hard test of the viability of the new Constitution.

Unlike the Washington to Adams change, this was the opposition coming into power, this was a political group that promised to undo much of what the Federalists had done and considered critical. This was the party in power surrendering without protest, to a replacement party ...and all because it was the expressed wish of the majority of the people.

This had never happened before and there was never a guarantee that when the time came for such a thing, the folks in power would accept it. That they did was what makes it possible to say that government .."of the people, by the people, for the people" wasn't just a hollow idea, wasn't just a theory on paper, wasn't just lip service.
...it is hard to take , hard to understand, but when the opposition gets in.......it is a good day......because someone has to stand up and start changing things......THE SHIP OF STATE IS A SAILING VESSEL, AND IT MUST TACT LEFT AND RIGHT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 05:15 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Each of the past ten presidents (and now the 11th) could have, with the stroke of a pen, done something that would mave made it one of the greatest days in American history, and none did. They could have normalized relations with Cuba.
Cuba will free her self and we will help , communications will do it, but there are those in USSR that wish for the old way.............Just like Here in the USA

Old 02-09-2009, 11:09 PM

463 posts, read 1,565,350 times
The day I was born!!! Just kidding, just kidding.

I'm going to suggest a day that I don't think has been mentioned yet: the day the Confederacy surrendered to the Union. We regained our wayward territory and our country became stronger for the re-unification!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:56 AM

142 posts, read 358,321 times
Bob,

I did mention that day (see my post dated 2/5/09).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
I'm going to suggest a day that I don't think has been mentioned yet: the day the Confederacy surrendered to the Union. We regained our wayward territory and our country became stronger for the re-unification!

Old 02-15-2009, 06:32 AM

285 posts, read 927,595 times
This thread should go on forever because there are so many "What was the best day..." As history is being made right now, this very moment! Memory brings me to a favorite that came straight to mind, The Birthday of the US Marine Corps. Nov. 10, 1775.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:38 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
11/4/2008

The Day America elected its First Black President
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History