Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 04:27 PM

294 posts, read 699,374 times

Advertisements

I've just finished reading a book about Cromwell.

When i put the book down, i thought what a in-humane man he was.

His ''sacking'' of Drogheda must have been the lowest point for him and his new model army.

No wonder the name Cromwell still sends shudders down the backs of Irish men and women.

I never knew that his corpse was dug up and hung drawn and quartered by royalist in 1660
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 04:30 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,465,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter67 View Post
I never knew that his corpse was dug up and hung drawn and quartered by royalist in 1660
Yeah, you might say they had a long memory about that.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:56 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter67 View Post
I've just finished reading a book about Cromwell.

When i put the book down, i thought what a in-humane man he was.

His ''sacking'' of Drogheda must have been the lowest point for him and his new model army.

No wonder the name Cromwell still sends shudders down the backs of Irish men and women.

I'm no fan of his. Particularly that he presided over the massacre of millions of Catholics

But........ he was the bridge which took Britain to democracy, eventually. The Walpole guy and his successors to this day owe a lot to Cromwell. He made it possible.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:03 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
I'm no fan of his. Particularly that he presided over the massacre of millions of Catholics

But........ he was the bridge which took Britain to democracy, eventually. The Walpole guy and his successors to this day owe a lot to Cromwell. He made it possible.

Well I kind'a doubt it was millions, c'mon, I don't like the bastard either but millions?

But you're certainly right about his effect, as history goes I gotta put him with the progressives.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:34 PM

294 posts, read 699,374 times
Quote:
the massacre of millions of Catholics

I think you are being a little over the top with that comment.

Tom, was on the verge of not going through with this topic.

Hope it does not cause any ill feeling.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:31 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Guys, the Israelites wandered for 40 years in the wilderness. So, you really think it's 40?

'massacring millions' is more of an idiom alluding towards mass murder.

There's nothing harmful about gravitating towards the catholics when it comes to Cromwell. This age of history was deeply dyed with the religious affiliations of Europe.

Let's not secularize history

Old 07-18-2009, 09:39 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,465,316 times
Quote:
'massacring millions' is more of an idiom alluding towards mass murder.
Yeah, but this is the history forum. If it ain't millions, and one says millions, one is apt to have one's statement questioned or clarified.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:08 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,993,815 times
Quote:

Lord and Protector Oliver Cromwell ended Royal power and replaced it with the Parliament being supreme going forward. Cromwell also cracked down on religious noncomformists which lead to groups like the Purtians, Pilgrims, Anabaptists and Quakers heading to the American colonies to get away from Cromwell's Commomwealth. Cromwell was viewed as committing regicide (Killing of a King) and like revolutionary France was shunned by the Kings of Europe.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:04 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,359,172 times
The Puritans in general were sanctimonious and intolerant prigs. They disapproved of drinking alcohol and playing games - many traditional games and sports were banned by them in England. They also banned Christmas for over 20 years in Boston MA.

That Oliver Cromwell comes across as a very unattractive man may be in part due to his religious conversion to Puritanism after he had turned 40 years of age. Religious converts are often more zealous than those raised in a religion (imho).

Old 07-19-2009, 12:40 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,435,450 times
Cromwell was a necessary evil for Great Britain. He carried out a revolution not against royalists, but against "Chevaliers" with absolutist leanings inspired by the Bourbons. As all revolutionaries fighting against tyrants, he became a tyrant.

He put everything into a pot and tried to create a "Anticatholic League", but he failed because he needed the French. His revolution, just as many in Germany and in Spain (1515) was predemocratic and bourgeois, but he vanquished.

A Republic in those years was next to impossible, even less a religious republic penned against Royalists (all Europe), Catholics...

But I think he was a necessary evil. At that time, Europe was being torn apart by religious wars, he couldn't act differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History