Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:18 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,094 times

Advertisements

I'm very much interested in the history of the ancient Iberians. Iberians was the name the ancient greco-romans gave to the indigenous population of the southern and eastern peninsula. I have an encyclopedia that claims they were from North Africa and spoke a Hamitic language. This source is dated. Can anyone recommend any books (in English) that are more up to date by reputable historians and archeologists.

Oh and I'm also interested in Moorish Spain, particularly how the various ethnic and religious groups interacted with each other. Any suggestions would be welcome and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 01:02 PM

594 posts, read 1,778,204 times
I've read Rosa Maria Menocal's book "The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain." This was an interesting period, when Jews were appointed to key administration positions in Moorish-dominated Spain, and when the three religions lived in comparative peace. It was the zenith of Muslim scholarship, as Moorish Spain became the learning center of Europe, and many classical ancient texts were translated by Muslim and Jewish scholars.

A couple books highly recommended by reviewers on Amaazon books are Richard Fletcher's "Moorish Spain" and "Islamic Spain 1250-1500." by L. P. Harvey.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:15 PM

294 posts, read 698,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
I've read Rosa Maria Menocal's book "The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain." This was an interesting period, when Jews were appointed to key administration positions in Moorish-dominated Spain, and when the three religions lived in comparative peace. It was the zenith of Muslim scholarship, as Moorish Spain became the learning center of Europe, and many classical ancient texts were translated by Muslim and Jewish scholars.

A couple books highly recommended by reviewers on Amaazon books are Richard Fletcher's "Moorish Spain" and "Islamic Spain 1250-1500." by L. P. Harvey.
Excellent post john.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the info. Any more suggestions, particularly on works related to the ancient Iberians, their origins, religions, political structures, achievements?

Old 07-13-2009, 03:27 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,694 times
Kovert

Iberians were the inhabitants of Iberia. Iberia was the entire Iberian Peninsula, also called Hispania by Phoenicians and later by Romans. The name Iberia comes from river Everus (Ebro). Greeks we baffled by Ebro's delta and the great river.

Iberians originated from the wide array of populations living in Spain during the last 35.000 that came from Europe. Iberians did not come from Africa. Iberians are related to the original inhabitants of Britain and Hibernia. In fact, it was just the other way around, a branch of Iberians settled in North Africa during Neolotic.

Iberia, just like the rest of Western Europe, was invaded by Indoeuropeans from Maykop (Caucasus). Basque language in Spain and France is believed to be the one existing in parts Spain and France, some believe that Basque and Iberian are related.

The origin of Iberian is uncertain. Iberian language has not been "cracked" yet. They used the alphabet imported from Greeks. The "Rosetta stone" has not been found yet.

They only thing we know about Iberians and Celtic-Iberians is what Greek and Romans wrote about them. As to Religions, I believe they were quite mimetic as Romans, and they adopted Greek deities. They worshipped places and made animal sacrifices.

Iberians were very individualistic and were divided in many tribes. They were very fierce in battle. Romans fought during more than two centuries to conquer Spain. There was a very misterios civilization near the strait, near Seville, mentioned by Greeks whose origins are uncertain, Tartessos.

As to books about Iberians, unfortunately, since there are so many obscure areas there are many "esoterical" writers writing a lot of crap about Iberians and Tartessos.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 07-13-2009 at 03:57 AM..

Old 07-13-2009, 04:00 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Iberians were the inhabitants of Iberia.
So do you have Iberian DNA or not Leo

Old 07-14-2009, 05:30 AM

6 FOOT

I don't know what DNA Iberians had. I think they were R1b.
Iberians were also in Southern France up to Marseilles.
Probably corresponds (more faithfully) to ES2, Catalonia.
Related to France and Northern Italy.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 07-14-2009 at 05:43 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
6 FOOT

I don't know what DNA Iberians had. I think they were R1b.
Iberians were also in Southern France up to Marseilles.
Probably corresponds (more faithfully) to ES2, Catalonia.
Related to France and Northern Italy.

LOL, i actually liked that post Leo as i'll give you reps when i can pass them around (lol)

Old 07-18-2009, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the reply, Leo. I find the the Iberians, Tartarus and particularly what was their relationship to the Canaanites (Phoenicians), Moors, Carthaginians and other Libyans intriguing.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:20 AM

Tartarus, do you mean Tartessians?
Tartessos?
Not much is known from them, it seems they might had contact with Phoenicians and were known by Greeks. Not known relationship with moors at that time.
Well, Cannanites were not related with Phoenicians
Chartagineans were not Libyans, they were descendants of Phoenicians and lived in modern day Tunisia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History