Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:36 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Worse yet: I met a White Puerto Rican woman ('ethnic' facial features/build but porcelain white skin) whose bio daughter was a tall, stereotypical Anglo, at least in looks----------and, said child (much to the mother's sorrow) was extremely prejudiced against at least Mestizo Mexicans/Chicanos.
That's how things seem to be typically in Mexico, Central America, and South America. Their caste system seems to be as ingrained as it is in India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 12:37 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
-----

There are no Latinas from Spain, except a girl sired from recent waves of Non-White Hispanics from Latin America. In Spain, "Latino" refers more or less to Non-White Hispanics.
That's odd, given that in the rest of Europe, 'Latin' means Southern European.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:29 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,434,388 times
Mac

I read once in Play Boy magazine (good features, no kidding), that the Great Dragon of the KKK in the East Coast was a Catholic. He was Irish. Quite strange.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
That's odd, given that in the rest of Europe, 'Latin' means Southern European.
-----

No, in Europe Latin does not mean Southern Europe. Maybe decades or centuries ago. During the Middle Ages, Catholics in Western Europe were called Latins by the Eastern Roman Empire.

Some decades ago, Latins were all Catholics that spoke a Romanesque language, but that comprises most Western Europe.

Latins are currently the immigrants from Latin America. A new word coined by Degaulle and imported from the US.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
That's how things seem to be typically in Mexico, Central America, and South America. Their caste system seems to be as ingrained as it is in India.

---------

Is it different in the US?
In Latin America, the Caste System based on race was always illegal (at least formally illegal).

Old 09-10-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Correction: under US law; a Hispanic/Latino is someone from either Latin America or Spain. Needless to say; Pilar (her actual name) was most definitely a Hispanic despite having no indigenous American, etc. heritage.
-----

Well, they are wrong. Some U.S. Agencies don't include Spain.

Spanish people are Spanish, not Latins in the sense used in the U.S. Latin was a term coined by the French to refer to Latin America during the times of Maximilian, later the term was used again by De Gaulle when he wanted to become influential in Latin America.

Nobody refers to Spanish as Hispanics, since Hispanics are the people living in Spain's former empire (the original meaning of the word according to US. Census).

Old 09-10-2009, 07:46 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
-----

Well, they are wrong. Some U.S. Agencies don't include Spain.

Spanish people are Spanish, not Latins in the sense used in the U.S. Latin was a term coined by the French to refer to Latin America during the times of Maximilian, later the term was used again by De Gaulle when he wanted to become influential in Latin America.

Nobody refers to Spanish as Hispanics, since Hispanics are the people living in Spain's former empire (the original meaning of the word according to US. Census).
Hispanic Population of the United States (http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/hispanic/hispdef.html - broken link)

The above link does not state out 'Spanish' per se but, there is a listing for 'some other Hispanic origin'--------which would count Spaniards, etc.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:16 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
The American government's categorizing of Spaniards as "Hispanic" rather than simply White as with other Europeans shows that the Anglo-Saxon hatred of Spain and Catholocism is still intact.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:19 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,855 times
Well around here in the '60's there wasn't any Hispanics and so few Blacks that I never seen one.But I was Married to a Full Blood Native American her Uncle was killed by a couple local Guys they got away with it and told my wife at the Local Store they would do the same with her and the rest of her family.

I now have two Iranian Stepkids.Their Birth Certificates have them listed as White.But my Stepdaughter is calling Herself a Minority at work to get the Extra Perks.

hillman

Old 09-10-2009, 09:51 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Mac

I read once in Play Boy magazine (good features, no kidding), that the Great Dragon of the KKK in the East Coast was a Catholic. He was Irish. Quite strange.
Love it. Here's one, told to me by my one-time college instructor....a retiree from the US Air Force and a black man. Seems that during the 1960's there was VERY little interest in the KKK in Idaho. A black airman, stationed at the huge AF base @ Mountain Home, ID, decided one day to have some fun. Wrote to the "Head Dragon" (wherever he was)...offered to start a 'chapter' in Southern Idaho. The Klan gratefully accepted, mailing the man a large parcel of 'paraphenalia', code books, and applications for new recruits.

They carried on a lively 'by mail' relationship for nearly a year...at which time, some KKK official said he was passing through Idaho, and offered to stop by and 'chat' with the man. Obviously, this wouldn't have "worked out"....and the ruse collapsed.

True story? I can't verify it...but my instructor swore it happened, and that the man was a friend of his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History