Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:39 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,404,836 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for Books, Documentaries, Articles on a specific Historical subject, post your request here. If you have read an interesting book or seen a good show, post and tell something about it.
This thread will be only for discussing the material, not the subject matter.
If anyone has more suggestions for this thread. please Direct Mail me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 07:38 AM

Default Middle Ages

For anyone interested in the Middle Ages,
"Civilization of the Middle Ages"
by: Norman F. Cantor

This book covers the entire era and will give you an in depth understanding without getting boring! I've read this book several times and enjoy it. There is also a section in the back for suggested further reading on the subject.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times
Walter Scott in 1822 wrote the romance novel "Quentin Durward". The story line is set in the Low Countries in the 15th century. It is a fun read that is interspersed with historical notes of that era. Sources are cited.

The book is online.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:39 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,306 times
Conquering Gotham - A Gilded Age Epic:
The Construction of Penn Station and its Tunnels
Jill Jonnes - 2007 - Viking

With vivid prose, historian Jonnes captures the feel of turn of the century America. A story of the engineering of what was thought impossible, the building of railroad tunnels under the Hudson and East rivers connecting New Jersey, New York City and Long Island and further to connections to New England. And stories of the lives of the visionary people who saw this effort through. I really enjoyed this book.

Amazon.com: Conquering Gotham: A Gilded Age Epic: The Construction of Penn Station and Its Tunnels: Jill Jonnes: Books

Old 09-02-2008, 08:04 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,623,287 times
I'm in the middle of reading, "Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West", by Stephen Ambrose. It's a very in depth study on Lewis, his relationship with Jefferson, his friendship with, and trust of, William Clark, and, of course, their journey to the Pacific. So far, it's been a really good read. A lot of detail; things that I didn't know before, (such as how close a friendship there was between Jefferson and Lewis, the amount of educational prep time that Jefferson insisted on Lewis attaining prior to the expedition, and also the fact that Clark was never actually commissioned a captain during the expedition, although the men thought he was on equal footing with Lewis. His commission was as a lieutenant, but only a handful of people knew that for a number of years).

There are many footnotes, and an extensive bibliography. There are a few sketches and maps, though I would have like to have seen more. I actually picked this book up in the little used-book store inside of our small library for one dollar. I almost passed it up, but I'm glad I didn't. It's been very enjoyable, and interesting.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:09 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,032,000 times
OK-bare with me on this one. Can someone please suggest a US History book that gives a good overview? I'm looking for a good A thru Z publication.
I realize that US History in a singular book would have to be cliff notes of a Reader's Digest condensed version of the summary !! But this is my quest!!
Many thanks in advance for any help!
Bill

Old 09-30-2008, 08:04 PM

Bill,
Are you taking a test or just looking for a general book on US History?

Old 10-01-2008, 01:43 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,032,000 times
Trudeyrose,
No test-Just looking for a good overview book for reference and enjoyment.
Thank You!
Bill

Old 10-01-2008, 02:50 PM

I would check out Amazon for "American History Books"
That way you can take a look at quite a few different ones,read reviews etc. and then either get it from your library or buy the book on line or at a store. That is how I got started with European History. Overviews first and then concentrate on eras that caught my interest,
Hopefully someone who is really more into US History than I am can help you ,too. But this is a start Hope I've helped some..

Old 10-02-2008, 12:45 PM

594 posts, read 1,779,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
OK-bare with me on this one. Can someone please suggest a US History book that gives a good overview? I'm looking for a good A thru Z publication.
I realize that US History in a singular book would have to be cliff notes of a Reader's Digest condensed version of the summary !! But this is my quest!!
Many thanks in advance for any help!
Bill
Bill,

I think Trudeyrose's suggestion of Amazon was a good one. One book referenced in Amazon was "A Comprehensive History of the United States" by Paul M. Roberts. I haven't read it, but I understand it takes the reader from the formation of the United States up through the late 1980s. Apparently, it's more of a tutorial, but it should provide a good historical background.

A book that I have read and much enjoyed is "Alistair Cooke's America." You may have heard Cooke on PBS and know he was a great story teller. His book has an easy, relaxed flow. It's a broad-brush treatment of the Colonial period up through the 1970s. In my opinion, it's a comfortable read without getting bogged down in great detail.

For a more in-depth early history of the US nation from the Revolution to the the Civil War, "The American Heritage History of the Making of the Nation 1783-1860" by the editors of American Hetitage is a good choice.

A good book on the 20th century is one by the late Peter Jennings and Todd Brewster called "The Century." It's more of a social history of the US and is well supported by photos.

As you have indicated, it's almost impossible to find a complete history of the US in one volume. Anyway, good luck with finding the right book.
John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History