Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 03:05 PM

594 posts, read 1,778,139 times

Advertisements

Until this week I had never heard of a Spanish explorer by the name of Cabeza de Vaca. Historian Andres Resendez has written a page turner in "A Land So Strange." It's the amazing story of a Spanish expedition that set out to colonize Florida in 1527, and due to a hurricane and an incredible error in navigation, the whole expedition went awry. The land party of the expedition, searching for a fabled place called Panuco, became separated from their ships and were forced to walk hundreds of miles through inhospitable Florida terrain to present-day Apalachee Bay.

The elements and hostile Indians took a toll on the expedition and the survivors had to resort to the superhuman feat of constructing four log rafts with primitive tools and the impossible task of reaching Mexico, a journey of hundreds of miles. As can be imagined it didn't go well and those who finally ended up on the Texas coast were soon enslaved by Indians. Ultimately, only four men survived the ordeal and they eventually trekked to the Pacific Coast. It's a strange odyssey covering almost ten years that seems almost unbelievable. A link giving de Vaca's biography follows:

PBS - THE WEST - Alvar Nuñez Cabeza de Vaca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 04:49 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
You'd really never heard of de Vaca? One of the more interesting stories as well as names.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:11 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
Until this week I had never heard of a Spanish explorer by the name of Cabeza de Vaca.
What a great name! "Cow Head".

Old 01-28-2010, 06:03 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times
Did that PBS segment discuss the introduction of diseases to the natives by de Vaca? I understand that much of the southern Mississipian culture was still around in the SE when de Vaca visited. However, by 1700, most of those natives were dead and there great villages/cities lay abandoned. That area became completely depopulated because of such introduced diseases. In fact, historians did not understand the exstent of the depopulation until recently.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:17 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickAussie View Post
What a great name! "Cow Head".
I think the sentiment of the name is more like 'Cattle Master' but, yeah, literally 'head of cow'. Its variations: C de Baca, sidiBaca, and just Baca, are pretty common where I live in New Mexico because I believe the name was an honorific bestowed upon certain accomplished individuals by the Spanish monarchy as opposed to a proper family name.

ABQConvict

Old 01-29-2010, 10:34 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
I suppose I took the history lessons of Texas primary education for granted. Cabeza de Vaca has always been one of my favorite historical studies. It is a little difficult for we who live in the iPhone era to imagine a world as big as the one the conquistadors lived in. Just last week I was in the deepest, darkest, most remote East Texas pine forest on business and I felt as though I were on the dark side of the moon. Can you imagine being a sailboat ride across the Atlantic away from home with no idea where you were, who or what else was there, and not even an inkling of microbial disease theory?

Old 01-30-2010, 06:33 AM

248 posts, read 615,856 times
He wrote a book, "Los naufragios" (shipwrecks).

Old 02-01-2010, 01:52 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think the sentiment of the name is more like 'Cattle Master' but, yeah, literally 'head of cow'. Its variations: C de Baca, sidiBaca, and just Baca, are pretty common where I live in New Mexico because I believe the name was an honorific bestowed upon certain accomplished individuals by the Spanish monarchy as opposed to a proper family name.

ABQConvict
Quite possible, but the literal is more humourous, isn't it.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:26 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickAussie View Post
Quite possible, but the literal is more humourous, isn't it.
Oh, absolutely. Didn't mean to take the wind out of the sails, there. Actually it was years after I started encountering people with the name that I learned the true sentiment behind the name. I just assumed they had a rather odd looking ancestor.

ABQConvict

Old 02-01-2010, 02:16 PM

532 posts, read 1,269,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
Until this week I had never heard of a Spanish explorer by the name of Cabeza de Vaca. Historian Andres Resendez has written a page turner in "A Land So Strange." It's the amazing story of a Spanish expedition that set out to colonize Florida in 1527, and due to a hurricane and an incredible error in navigation, the whole expedition went awry. The land party of the expedition, searching for a fabled place called Panuco, became separated from their ships and were forced to walk hundreds of miles through inhospitable Florida terrain to present-day Apalachee Bay.

The elements and hostile Indians took a toll on the expedition and the survivors had to resort to the superhuman feat of constructing four log rafts with primitive tools and the impossible task of reaching Mexico, a journey of hundreds of miles. As can be imagined it didn't go well and those who finally ended up on the Texas coast were soon enslaved by Indians. Ultimately, only four men survived the ordeal and they eventually trekked to the Pacific Coast. It's a strange odyssey covering almost ten years that seems almost unbelievable. A link giving de Vaca's biography follows:

PBS - THE WEST - Alvar Nuñez Cabeza de Vaca
Cabeza de Vaca later had a son, Pene. So named after his father mistook his umbilical cord,,,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History