Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times

Advertisements

My mother, born in 1927, grew up in Chicago. After she married my dad in the 40's they traveled to Virginia where she saw her first examples of segregation. In her case she went to use a drinking fountain that was labeled "Coloreds" and my father had to explain to her what the sign meant. She had never heard of such a thing (and she was well educated) and couldn't believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 02:42 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,864,984 times
One has to distinguish between segregation and Jim Crow (such as seperate white/black facilities). The later consists of legal discrimination, the former of informal or personal behavior.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:02 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
I thought there were a lot of catholics in Vermont. It has a functioning monastary which is rare in the US.
There are. The history of the first priest in Burlington is kinda interesting, but then the history of the whole state is interesting. The French Canadians came to Winooski to work in the textile mills, the Italians and Irish to build the railroads, the Italians being actually sought out in the Barre and Rutland/Proctor areas to sculpt the granite and marble used in monuments and gravestones. Long before all of that, after the French and British were driven north, the state was almost exclusively white protestants from Connecticut and Massachusetts. At that time there was more hatred of the New Yorkers and people from New Hampshire who were trying to assert claims on the land than any other races. If you had to stereotype Vermonters prior to the 1930s, pragmatic would probably be the closest definition of them. (Serious tourism spending started in the 1930s and changed the state forever.)

Old 02-01-2010, 05:52 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,012,671 times
Even the whitest states have historical brushes into segregationist policy, albeit mostly in the distant past. Malaga Island come to mind in ME.

Malaga Island (http://www.bms.rsu1.org/red/malagawebsite/ - broken link)

I know VT only as recently as 20 years ago removed offensive place names like "N***** Hill from their maps.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:42 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,864,984 times
Pragmatic is what I think of when I consider historic Vermonters. Although since the hippies poured in, perhaps that is no longer the case

Its remarkably that a group that originated in sunny Cali, decided they liked one of the coldest states in the nation

Old 02-01-2010, 08:34 PM

267 posts, read 1,360,962 times
Segregation was alive and well in DC and Baltimore in the 50's and early 60's...at least it was on their local TV dance shows. Baltimore's WJZ-TV channel 13 was the home of the Buddy Deane show. Of course the segregation of this show was the basis of the movie/broadway show "Hairspray" however Hairspray had a happy ending unlike the Buddy Deane Show..rather than allowing blacks to dance on the show WJZ and/or Buddy Deane simply cancelled the program. Believe it or not there is still debate to this day as to whose call that really was. Was it Deane's? Or was it WJZ?

Washington's WTTG channel 5 had Milt Grant..no black dancers on that show either though Milt did allow black guest such as LaVerne Baker to appear on the program

also in DC there was "Teenarama Dance Party" (?) on then WOOK channel 14. Reverse segregation in this case as that show only allowed black dancers and not whites.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:44 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Even the whitest states have historical brushes into segregationist policy, albeit mostly in the distant past. Malaga Island come to mind in ME.

Malaga Island (http://www.bms.rsu1.org/red/malagawebsite/ - broken link)

I know VT only as recently as 20 years ago removed offensive place names like "N***** Hill from their maps.
I was about to dispute that first point, but then I remembered that at one point the army stationed a black regiment at Ft. Ethan Allen in Colchester, I forget when - somewhere between the 1900s to 1940s?. There never was a problem, but it was partly because the leader imposed a form of self-segregation.

The place names were not considered derogatory or intentionally offensive, but were more often descriptive in a crude way. As a very young kid, I remember being much more shocked when I learned what the Grand Tetons were named for. To me, it didn't matter if you were French, there was something rude about proclaiming that beautiful scenery "Huge T*ts Mountains."

I'm sure at sometime in the future, someone will take offense to Beaver Meadows, Gaysville, Indian Hill, Middlesex, and so on, and those will be re-named. Whatever.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:34 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobwv View Post
Segregation was alive and well in DC and Baltimore in the 50's and early 60's...at least it was on their local TV dance shows. Baltimore's WJZ-TV channel 13 was the home of the Buddy Deane show. Of course the segregation of this show was the basis of the movie/broadway show "Hairspray" however Hairspray had a happy ending unlike the Buddy Deane Show..rather than allowing blacks to dance on the show WJZ and/or Buddy Deane simply cancelled the program. Believe it or not there is still debate to this day as to whose call that really was. Was it Deane's? Or was it WJZ?

Washington's WTTG channel 5 had Milt Grant..no black dancers on that show either though Milt did allow black guest such as LaVerne Baker to appear on the program

also in DC there was "Teenarama Dance Party" (?) on then WOOK channel 14. Reverse segregation in this case as that show only allowed black dancers and not whites.
I remember Teenarama Dance Party (?) as well while growing up in the DC area in the 1960's-70's. Baltimore also had it for a while on Ch 24.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I was about to dispute that first point, but then I remembered that at one point the army stationed a black regiment at Ft. Ethan Allen in Colchester, I forget when - somewhere between the 1900s to 1940s?. There never was a problem, but it was partly because the leader imposed a form of self-segregation.

The place names were not considered derogatory or intentionally offensive, but were more often descriptive in a crude way. As a very young kid, I remember being much more shocked when I learned what the Grand Tetons were named for. To me, it didn't matter if you were French, there was something rude about proclaiming that beautiful scenery "Huge T*ts Mountains."

I'm sure at sometime in the future, someone will take offense to Beaver Meadows, Gaysville, Indian Hill, Middlesex, and so on, and those will be re-named. Whatever.
Had to chuckle @ Grant Tetons there; I never realized that it actually referred to being buxom-----------and, I used to joke that a bevy of large chested women would be the 'Grand Tetons'.

Here in Arizona we still have places using the word 'Squaw'. Some American Indian women take offence to that word whereas others embrace it-------never mind there is the Navajo Squaw Dance.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:48 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
No segregation in California that I was ever aware of. Although we did try to keep the Okies out during the depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History