Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,547 times

Advertisements

My father stayed at Francois Kaserne in Hanau Germany in 1952 as he was trying to emigrate to the U.S. He was turned down because the U.S. suspected he was a communist! But I would like a description of Francois Kaserne, of the grounds and buildings, etc. if anyone was there back in the 1950s. Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,905 times
Dear Bolleber,
I served the US Army on Francois Kaserne 1954 as a Special Services Director. I was the Administrative Director at the Service Club. We had or own building with a snack bar below. There were two companies stationed there during that period: a transportation company, and a medical unit. Their buildings were separate. There was a large parking area for jeeps and trucks. There was another building for the CO and staff. It was a small kaserne; the troop strength was less than 1K. I never heard of German civilians having lived there...This is the best I can offer. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,299 times
Default Francois kaserne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolleber View Post
My father stayed at Francois Kaserne in Hanau Germany in 1952 as he was trying to emigrate to the U.S. He was turned down because the U.S. suspected he was a communist! But I would like a description of Francois Kaserne, of the grounds and buildings, etc. if anyone was there back in the 1950s. Many thanks in advance!
I was stationed with the 288th Armored Field Artillery Battalion 1954-1956. We were equipped with 155 mm. Howitzers. In addition to our unit there was also a medical detachment stationed there. My battery was billeted in one of the buildings facing Lamboy Strasse. Next to our building was a memorial dedicated to Lithuanian refugees. I have been to this Kaserne two different times since my release from the army. What once was my bedroom, is now a software company.

Feel free to contact me for any addition information. I would be happy to upload for you some photos.

Blessings,

Dave Gehring
Seattle, WA

Old 11-28-2010, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,295 times
I have covered Francois Kaserne extensively on the web site I have built for my unit (A/40th FA, MLRS.) I was stationed there from 1988 to 1992, at which time Francois Kaserne was closed and returned to the Germans. You can see many pictures and other information at:

[URL]http://www.a40deepstrike.com[/URL]

You can reach me at: mod] email address removed [/mod]

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-13-2015 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: removed email address

Old 08-16-2014, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,774 times
I was stationed with the 288 field artillery battalion in 1958 and 1959 when we were redesignated the fourth Battalion of the 18's artillery. My commanding officers beginning in 1958 were as follows Capt. Hampton, first Lieut. James Phillips, Capt. Eveland. I arrived at my unit in the François Kaserne in February 1958, shortly thereafter we went on a maneuver called winter shield one in 1959 we went on winter shield two. If anyone has pictures of people in battery A from 1958 through 1961 when I was there, I would appreciate hearing from you thanks.PS at the time I was a Pfc. in C-section BatteryA 288th Field artillery Battalion, my name is Robert Moore, I currently live in Astoria Oregon.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 7,949 times
Young man my name is Willie Luellen and I was in the 4/18 Headqrters Battery somes times around the summer of 1961. The first night after my arrival they called an alert! Would be nice to hear from you! I live in Cathedral City,Ca!

Old 04-10-2015, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,774 times
Willie Luellen i was stationed in the François Kaserne From 1958, 1959, 1960, I spent New Year's Eve of 1961 on a troopship anchored in Bremerhaven Harbor because of the fog. We sailed on 1 January 1961 for Brooklyn Navy Yard in New York City, so I would not have been there when you were there. I certainly do remember the alerts, for the three years I was there twice we went all the way to the Fulda gap and we all thought the Russians had come across. All of the alerts were somewhat stressful as you never knew whether you were going to be in combat are not.In 2002 my wife and I traveled back to Germany and went to Hanau and visited the old François Kaserne. Things have changed, all the buildings were still there, the mess hall had been turned into a kindergarten, all the barracks were business offices and there were no military units on Lamboy Strasse. Good luck Willie, thanks for responding.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:24 AM

I entered service I March of 1961 so you were probably out of service by then. There is a website, usarmygermany.com, you can find all of the Kaserne thre I have not been back since. Who was the Colonel of Francois? It is nice to hear from someone that was there! Have you been in contact with any of your one buddies? Have a good day Robert.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:27 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,503,684 times
That's funny. I'm here on an international forum and there is a thread about a place in my little hometown. My Grandma lives maybe 1 minute away from Francois Kaserne. I could go there next weekend and take some pictures of it.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:08 PM

It would nice to to see some photos of the place I called home for 18 months. I enjoyed Hanau and the area! We're you in the military?

Last edited by wluellen; 04-14-2015 at 09:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History