Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 07:53 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times

Advertisements

These terms were all used in another thread to refer to the Oakland school district's public discussion about replacing or coteaching American Standard English with another version of English. although it seemed that two of the posters thought one or two of the terms were incorrect. Can someone explain the difference? If they are multiple dialects or languages how did they diverge?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:04 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,436 times
African American Vernacular English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ebonics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-04-2010, 07:04 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
A dialect of english? That's a joke right? It's simply bad english and street slang.

This is really out of scope of this forum, since the whole modern concept of Eubonics was developed for political/racial purposes.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
In the 1960's, blacks were admitted to the mainstream. If any of them don't want to accept the invitation, that's their business. Mainstream English is the language of education in the USA.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:24 PM

65 posts, read 218,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In the 1960's, blacks were admitted to the mainstream. If any of them don't want to accept the invitation, that's their business. Mainstream English is the language of education in the USA.

I agree.......It breaks my heart to hear other, especially young blacks refer to proper english as "talking white." A lot of blacks have no idea of how much we have contributed to this country, and how much they can and do have that they just haven't realized. It's not about changing who you are, it's about making temporary adjustments to form a certain atmosphere. This atmosphere is professional. Just like black boy ray ray from the south side is expected to dress like he has some class and speak proper english when it's appropriate, white boy bubba ray from the trailer parks is given the same exact expectations.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
A dialect of english? That's a joke right? It's simply bad english and street slang.

This is really out of scope of this forum, since the whole modern concept of Eubonics was developed for political/racial purposes.
North America
American English (AmE, AmEng, USEng)
Cultural
African-American Vernacular English (AAVE)
Chicano English
General American
New York Latino English
Pennsylvania Dutchified English
Yeshivish
Yinglish
Regional
Northeastern dialects
Boston English
Hudson Valley English (Albany)
Maine-New Hampshire English
New York City Dialect, Northern New Jersey Dialect (New York metropolitan area)
Providence-area English
Vermont English
Philadelphia-area English
Buffalo English
Inland Northern American English (includes western and central upstate New York)
Wawarsing English
Northeast Pennsylvania English (Scranton, Pennsylvania-area)
Mid-Atlantic dialects
Pittsburgh English
Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area Accent (D.C. Slang)
Baltimorese
Tidewater accent
Virginia Piedmont
Virginia Tidewater [1]
Inland North American (Lower peninsula of Michigan, northern Ohio and Indiana, the suburbs of Chicago, part of eastern Wisconsin and upstate New York)
The Chicago accent
Buffalo English
North Central American English (primarily Minnesota, but also most of Wisconsin, the Upper peninsula of Michigan, and parts of North Dakota, South Dakota, and Iowa)
Yooper dialect (the variety of North Central American English spoken in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and in some neighboring areas)
Midland American English
North Midlands English (thin swath from Nebraska to Ohio)
St. Louis dialect
South Midland (thin swath from Oklahoma to Pennsylvania)
Appalachian English
Southern English
Coastal Southeastern (Charleston, South Carolina, Savannah, Georgia area)
Cajun English
Harkers Island English (North Carolina)
Ozark English
Piedmont Dialect
Southern Highland English
Florida Cracker Dialect
Gullah or Geechee
Tampanian English
Texan
Yat (New Orleans)
Western English
California English
Utah English
Idaho English
Boontling
Hawaiian English
Pacific Northwest English

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...glish_language

Old 06-04-2010, 06:49 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times

^I call shenanigans on that. As a southernor who has had to move to Savannah recently I'll say the next person with an accent like this that I meet will be the first. Most folks here are transplants and sound like it. If I go to restaurant its a lot more likely I'll hear the waiter ask me if I want a soda or a pop instead of a coke. You don't even find all that many folks with who speak the southern or african american vernaculars that are common throughout Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. However, I've never run into anyone speaking the accent like Andy used on The Office during the murder mystery episode.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post

^I call shenanigans on that.
Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Southern | PBS

Old 06-05-2010, 12:22 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I will concede that there are more than a few African American dialects and that they are as legitimate expressions of language as any other spoken form of English used in America. That said, America, like nearly every other country, behooves itself to teach a standard written form.

Some countries have tried to mandate teaching multiple standards and one always wins out. See Norway for example, the national standard is a written form of the capital dialect and the competing written language is a hodge-podge of every other dialect. This would be the situation in America, too. There is not one African American dialect, so the standard Black vernacular would be compelled to include elements of divergent dialects unless they decided that Louisiana black dialects, or Oakland's, or New York's dialects were the standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History