Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:11 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times

Advertisements

I used to play the drums for a number of years, but I hated the amount of equipment I needed, the space, and the fact the drums are very loud! Other than that, I loved playing, and now I miss playing music.

So, I gave up playing the drums a few years ago.

Now, I would like to play the acoustic guitar. I tried to learn once, but I didn't get very far.

I would like to be able to strum some songs while at parties, and maybe sing along. I would love to be able to play the Spanish style...not sure what it is called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 08:36 PM

661 posts, read 1,251,278 times
I hope you get some good answers, I'm exactly the same, although I played guitar and balalaika in (much) younger years.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
DrEarth: Just for the record, there are fairly inexpensive electronic drum kits now that aren't loud at all unless you want them to be, and they are much smaller and lighter as well.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:45 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
The "Spanish style" is basically classical played on a nylon string guitar.

As a drum player you are like my wife who had to learn to read music. Drum sheet music only makes sense to a drummer. My wife still plays her drums, I bought her DW drum kit. She now plays steel string and bass. She took up one of my mandolins and is struggling a little as they are tuned in fifths. She will likely take over my banjo next.

We took guitar lessons at the college, twice a week 6 to 9 pm. We had taken a music theory class together the previous semester. A little easier once you can read chords. It cost us about $65 each for each class semeste at the college. Beats $50 a lesson at the music store.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
DrEarth: Just for the record, there are fairly inexpensive electronic drum kits now that aren't loud at all unless you want them to be, and they are much smaller and lighter as well.
I know, but it is not the same. Still too much stuff to drag around for me, and I don't like them.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
The "Spanish style" is basically classical played on a nylon string guitar.

As a drum player you are like my wife who had to learn to read music. Drum sheet music only makes sense to a drummer. My wife still plays her drums, I bought her DW drum kit. She now plays steel string and bass. She took up one of my mandolins and is struggling a little as they are tuned in fifths. She will likely take over my banjo next.

We took guitar lessons at the college, twice a week 6 to 9 pm. We had taken a music theory class together the previous semester. A little easier once you can read chords. It cost us about $65 each for each class semeste at the college. Beats $50 a lesson at the music store.

Wow, your college is cheap. That class would cost about a grand at the university I went to.

Anyway, I don't think I will have any problems learning the cords, but I would like to find an affordable class like you took. I'll keep looking.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:13 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,917,828 times
I've been playing for 4 years now. Although I have slowed down some lately, I still enjoy it very much. There are plenty of instructional and tab books on amazon to get you started. Just give them a search.

If you just want to play a few songs at parties and such, theory is not neccessary. Spanish style guitar is another story.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:13 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
Guitar is quite easy. I have played for over 35 years. Professionaly when I was in my 20's. There are a few pointers to begin with:

Buy an acoustic guitar that is easy for you to play. That is one whose "action" is easy on your finger tips. This means the strings are close to the fretboard but don not "buzz" against the frets. I would suggest, if you can afford it, a Martin or a a Taylor. Best places to look for good used guitars are in pawn shops but you have to know how to look for damage... so if you aren't familiar with the parts of a guitar, buy new. If you are serious, then paying between $800-$1500 is a lifetime investment since the older a good guitar gets the better it sounds. Rally good guitars can cost $3000

The "Guitar Centers" are great and they have smart guys to chat with that will steer you in the correct direction. The most important thing is that you find it comfortable to play. If you don't you won't use it and it will be a waste of money. I prefer CF Martin out of Nazareth PA but many people like Taylor as well. Martin has a nice line of D models. The D stands for dreadnaught. There are D-18 D-28 D-35 etc. Try them all.

Learn some simple three note open chords like A B C D E F and G. The C d G and E chords are very easy. Start with some simple three chord songs like Dylan's Knocking on Heaven's Door. Then learn your minor chords and your fifths, 7ths and 9ths. Learn how to bar chords and you will be all set. When you learn the chomatic scale you can then minor each one or 6th or 7th each one or even 9th each one. Try Blues tunes they are usually 12 bar songs and very simple to play.

As far as Flamenco style(Spanish you mentioned) you need a totally different type of guitar. It is smaller and the strings are nylon. You can buy one very inexpensively to fool around on but don't pay more than a $100-$200 You can find these at yard sales often and pay less than $50. I wouldn't use my time in Flamenco until you master the steel string acoutic guitar.

Stick with a Custom acoustic guitar made from ash, mohogany, ebony frets and spruce tops. This is why I lik Martin since they use different woods on the instrument and they last "forever" if taken care of properly. The most important thing to remember is to NOT buy a cheap guitar that will not play well, be incomfortable, and will likey be ruined in a few years. Spend the money because it is an investment that will last you a lifetime and you will never regret it the longer you own it. Spend the money and you will get years of enjoyment after you learn how to play basic songs and progressions.

Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions.

Last edited by brien51; 12-10-2010 at 02:26 PM..

Old 12-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
Guitar is quite easy. I have played for over 35 years. Professionaly when I was in my 20's. There are a few pointers to begin with:

Buy an acoustic guitar that is easy for you to play. That is one whose "action" is easy on your finger tips. This means the strings are close to the fretboard but don not "buzz" against the frets. I would suggest if you can afford it, a Martin or a a Taylor. Best places to look for good used guitars are in pawn shops but you have to know how to look for damage... so if you aren't familiar with the parts of a guitar, buy new. If you are serious, then paying between $800-$1500 is a lifetime investment since the older a good guitar gets the better it sounds.

The "Guitar Centers" are great and they have smart guys to chat with that will steer you in the correct direction. Themost important thing is that you find it comfortable to play. If you don't you woin't use it and it will be a waste of money. I prefer CF Martin out of Nazareth PA but many people like Taylor as well. Martin has a nice line of D models. The D stands for dreadnaught. There are D-18 D-28 D-35 etc. Try them all.

Learn some simple three note open chords like A B C D E F and G. The C G and E chords are very easy. Start with some simple three chord songs like Dylan's Knocking on Heaven's Door. Then learn your minor chords and your fifths, 7ths and 9ths. LEar how to bar chords and you will be all set. When you learn the chomatic scale you can then minor each one or 7th each on or eve 9th each one. Try Blues tunes they are usually 12 bar songs and very simple to play.

Asa far as Flamenco style(Spanish you mentioned) you nee a totally different type of guitar. It is smaller and the strings are nylon. Stick with a Custom acoustic guitar made from ash, mohogany, ebony frets and spruce tops. This is why I lik Martin since they uses different woods on the instrument and they last forever if taken care of properly. The most important thing to remember is to NOT buy a cheap guitar that will not play well, be incomfortable and will likey be ruined in a few years. Spend the money because it is an investment that will last you a lifetime and you will never regret it the longer you own it.

Best of luck
Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions.
Thanks for the info, and I do have a question now. After looking at some videos, I really like the classical guitar, but I would want to play regular songs too. Should I just buy a classical guitar? I do not want 2 guitars, nor could I afford it.

I looked up the difference between the two, and found they are very similar.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
I've been playing for 4 years now. Although I have slowed down some lately, I still enjoy it very much. There are plenty of instructional and tab books on amazon to get you started. Just give them a search.

If you just want to play a few songs at parties and such, theory is not neccessary. Spanish style guitar is another story.
Yea, it looks difficult, but I would really like to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation