Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,383 times

Advertisements

Tho I have several old type knives I prefer a lockblade. I carry THREE on me daily. One in a case on my belt, and one in each front pocket. ALL are very sharp!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:30 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That works. I like the Case knives although I am partial to the Bokers. It is the style that confuses me.

The Congress has two sheepfoot blades, but I don't have any sheep.

The Stockman is cool but what do I do with the other two blades???

The trapper seems to be what I want, but they seem to be too long.

What is a mother to do???
When it comes to knives one is never enough. Choose one now, one later, another one later....and so on.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:22 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
I suppose you are asking, what the hell is a Grandpa Knife, well its a pocket knife with one to two blades that my grandfather carried in his pocket. It was used to open letters, peel an apple or to do any general cutting that my grandfather deemed appropriate - including the disgusting habit of trimming the corns on his feet. Nonetheless, I need one, or more to the point want one badly, but there are just too many damned styles to choose from! Stockman's, congresses, canoes, how in the hell does one decide?

PS - I own a couple of Benchmark-I-don't-play-fair-when-I-am-not-carrying-my-Glock knives. I just want something a bit more civilized.
The type of knife you are asking about is called a "Slip Joint" knife.

This may help sort out the styles within the Slip Joint catagory.......

Pocket knife - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This knife is a blend of old and new styles of pocket knife that will appeal to those not in the older generations. I have one in my collection now. I prefer a large stockman but If I were younger this knife would get a place in my pocket for sure!

This knife is a one hand opener with liner locks on both blades. The blade selection is perfect for a pocket knife made in steel that's easy to sharpen.
Amazon.com: Kershaw Double Cross Knife with 2 Blade Folder: Sports & Outdoors

Old 06-07-2011, 11:23 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
One knife that has been calling to me lately is the XX Case Tony Bose Back Pocket knife.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqUOKjkE0fYIlIneBNY78zgSEw~~_35.JPG (broken link)

Old 06-07-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
When it comes to knives one is never enough. Choose one now, one later, another one later....and so on.
Oh! How I know that one knife is never enough. Much to dear wife's displeasure I still collect knives after 40 years of doing so.

I just can't help myself when I see a knife that is different than anything not already in my collection!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
One knife that has been calling to me lately is the XX Case Tony Bose Back Pocket knife.
GOOD choice!!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:20 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
That works. I like the Case knives although I am partial to the Bokers. It is the style that confuses me.

The Congress has two sheepfoot blades, but I don't have any sheep.

The Stockman is cool but what do I do with the other two blades???

The trapper seems to be what I want, but they seem to be too long.

What is a mother to do???
I can't remember the model name (Executive Lockback?) but the Case I carry is the single folding blade with a stainless steel handle. It is really thin and doesn't weigh heavily in my pocket. When I used to do biological field work many years ago, I wore a Shrade Old Timer Sharpfinger with a fixed blade in a holster. That knife also served as a hunting knife but I always had to remember to remove it whenever I went into town.

I am sorry. Like guns, I also have a lot of knives. Some I bought and some I inherited. I just have never made a study of the various brands and their quality.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
I love my 'Swiss Army Knife', but it's not exactly pocketable. It really is useful, though! I carry it in my briefcase. I used to have a belt case for it, but I wore it out.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:23 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
I suppose you are asking, what the hell is a Grandpa Knife, well its a pocket knife with one to two blades that my grandfather carried in his pocket. It was used to open letters, peel an apple or to do any general cutting that my grandfather deemed appropriate - including the disgusting habit of trimming the corns on his feet. Nonetheless, I need one, or more to the point want one badly, but there are just too many damned styles to choose from! Stockman's, congresses, canoes, how in the hell does one decide?

PS - I own a couple of Benchmark-I-don't-play-fair-when-I-am-not-carrying-my-Glock knives. I just want something a bit more civilized.
Go to an antique store and get a REAL gradpa knife. I see 'em all the time and they are usually the same price as a new one with the quality and nostalgia of old ones.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:47 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Go to an antique store and get a REAL gradpa knife. I see 'em all the time and they are usually the same price as a new one with the quality and nostalgia of old ones.
Ran across a guy at the flea market last week that had a brief case full of them. Jackpot!!. Have'nt told the wifey yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation