Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 11:23 AM
npz npz started this thread

208 posts, read 323,654 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend any US based websites that sell kits and/or equipment and materials for casting metal model soldiers? In particular, I'm thinking of Napoleonic sets for example. Even Amazon has let me down on this one!!

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 11:54 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,311 times
You want to search for "white metal casting"

Low temp alloys can be cast in silicone molds, but they molds wear out quickly. With resin you might get 60 or 100 pulls from a mold (depending on the silicone chosen for the mold), I would guess with white metal you will get 10 or less - I've not tried casting white metal though - resin is plenty tricky enough!

This seems like a pretty good article, though I've only skimmed it:
Whitemetal Casting for Beginners – The Theory

This is a good one too, has decent pics.
Metal Casting

A good silicone and resin source I've used is Hobby Silicone in Los Angeles.

The only alloy for sale I've seen is pretty expensive. If you can do some home metallurgy and come up with a zinc alloy that will melt at 500 C or so, you can get zinc wheel weights from guys who cast bullets. They hate the zinc ones and will usually sell them cheap.

Depending on your intended use, you might be able to use straight wheel weight alloy - its lead and antimony. With adequate precautions, casting lead is safe (the bullet guys can tell you all about the precautions).

Old 12-08-2014, 04:05 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
Smooth-On is a company that makes the casting rubbers that you need and Atlas Metals sells the metal alloys that you need.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:57 PM
npz npz started this thread

208 posts, read 323,654 times
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I need to do some additional reading and research!!

Old 12-17-2014, 09:13 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,311 times
The other thing you can do is investment casting - it works a bit better but has more $$$ for set up.

Basically you use your silicone mold to cast wax positives of your figure or carving, then add a sprue to two or three of them and pour this plaster like stuff (investment its called) around it. Once its hardened, you burn out the wax and pour molten metal into the mold. There is also equipment you can use to pull a vacuum on the mold as you pour, which gets you some really nice castings with no bubbles. Most professional white metal is probably done this way.

A friend of mine is a jeweler, I watched him do this once to cast a ring. If anything it would be even easier with low temp metals like whitemetal alloy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation