Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:00 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times

Advertisements

Here's a link to see many more wonderful Starlings on YouTube:

talk starling - YouTube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 12:08 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times

Talking Starling! - YouTube

Old 06-07-2012, 12:45 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
^^^ The Starlings are magnificent, intelligent and beautiful birds and they only have "vulgaris" in their Latin name because they need to defecate often.
They are excellent mimics and can be taught to speak human language.

Your dove is a Turtle Dove.
Yes, the starlings are beautiful and excellent mimics, but they do make a mess not unique amongst birds, I'll agree) but their rather aggressive and predatory habits have reduced the native songbird population here by a measurable and visually obvious number.

Starling Problems

or this...,

Starling problems.MP4 - YouTube

or this... (note: very graphic, but his explanation is valid. As well, the previous video, we do not ever have such flocks (≈ 5000?) olivacious flycatchers or flickers or woodpeckers, right? Starlings, though smart ans attractive, are also highly aggressive (as you'll see in this next vid), reproductively prolific, and they regularly displace our native songbirds)

Starling Behavior - Why I Shoot Them - YouTube

This is the Eurasian dove, which has also invaded our areas, to the disadvantage of other native species:

"Invasive species

The Collared Dove was introduced into the Bahamas in the 1970s and spread from there to Florida by 1982. It has become invasive; the stronghold in North America is still the Gulf Coast, but it is now found as far south as Veracruz, as far west as California, and as far north as Alaska, the Great Lakes, and Nova Scotia. Some of the more distantly dispersed records may refer to local escapes from captivity. Its impact on other species there is as yet unknown; it appears to occupy an ecological niche between that of the Mourning Dove and the Rock Pigeon (also an invasive species in North America)."

Eurasian Collared Dove - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also known as the Collared or ring-necked dove. Still a problem invasive and colonizing species, typically displacing others in it's niche.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:32 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
I love hawks and eagles. Lots of red-tail hawks around here too. You'll see them perched motionless on the telephone polls overlooking the fields - hunting for small prey. It takes a good eye to see them as they are camouflaged so well. I also see quite a few bald eagles where I stay in Canada. They are all such beautiful birds.

I have a small dog (5 lb. Yorkie) and there have been a few times where I have noticed a big hawk circling our yard while he was out. I am now paranoid that there is a neighborhood hawk waiting to snatch up my dog.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:29 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I love hawks and eagles. Lots of red-tail hawks around here too. You'll see them perched motionless on the telephone polls overlooking the fields - hunting for small prey. It takes a good eye to see them as they are camouflaged so well. I also see quite a few bald eagles where I stay in Canada. They are all such beautiful birds.

I have a small dog (5 lb. Yorkie) and there have been a few times where I have noticed a big hawk circling our yard while he was out. I am now paranoid that there is a neighborhood hawk waiting to snatch up my dog.

Exactly... I have a 5lb dog, and a 10ftx10ft outdoor cage, so she can go do her 'business', and I had to put screen netting over it, as when I saw the turkey vultures circling, I knew it would not be a good outcome if I didn't.

The only time that sort of weirded me out was when I was in my yard, and an owl flew over my head, about 5 feet above me, and I never even heard it coming. They fly dead silent. Sort of creepy, but obviously to their advantage when hunting mice in a field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation