Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 12:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times

Advertisements

Gun Collecting

Coin Collecting

Camera Collecting

Hobby Mining

Exploring ghost towns

Model, toy, and full size trains

Collecting militaria, particularly Third Reich

Recreational shooting of all sorts, both formal and informal

There's a world of enjoyment in these and many others What's your favorite? Note: watching television doesn't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 12:41 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Reading. I read a ton and have turned to non-fiction more and more often to learn about any darn thing. Daily.

Sports: I never say no to participating in any athletic endeavor/event. I love moving my body. Most of all, I love chasing, striking, strategizing about, etc, a ball. If the sport has a ball, I am extra interested. 5-7 times a week.

Cooking: Not day to day survival cooking, but inventing, trying out really fancy or exotic recipes, etc. Finding recipes, researching flavor combinations, etc. Weekly.

Cars and dogs: I collect both extensively in my head (only have 2 dogs and 4 cars), but I avidly research and window shop them. 4-7 times a week.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:53 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Gun CollectingNot a collector per se but do have a shotgun. In my construction years decades ago I worked with a couple guys who had impressive gun collections.

Coin Collecting--I did as a kid, kept it up until I turned 30. My COBRA benefits expired and when silver went to goofy levels in the summer of 1980 I sold 90% of my collection as I needed knee surgery. To this day I still miss it, I was a member of the ANA for a short time.

Camera Collecting

Hobby Mining

Exploring ghost towns-I live in western Colorado, in the late 60's/early 70;s I 4 wheeled my way to a lot of them.

Model, toy, and full size trainsI would love to have gotten into it!

Recreational shooting of all sorts, both formal and informal

There's a world of enjoyment in these and many others What's your favorite? Note: watching television doesn't count.

I still enjoy music collecting. The first 45 I bought was "Bristol Stomp" by the Dovells and the first lp I bought was "Drag City" by Jan and Dean-bought both of them at the local Woolworths in my neighborhood. 80% of the collection is from 1956-1980, favorites include anyone from Hank Williams Sr. to Elvis to Marty Robbins to Buddy Holly to Duke Ellington to the Drifters to Bill Monroe to the Beatles to the Beach Boys to Sinatra to Patsy Cline to the Dillards to the Four Tops to lots of other groups and solo singers. I like me some tunes!

Old 10-18-2018, 05:29 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I used to enjoy shooting and archery with a friend at a club but then I moved away.

Another fun thing to do was hitting the gym, lifting and playing racquet ball.

Today I still fish and boat but my main hobby is model trains. I'm always tinkering on building or improving something for my large scale trains and running them on the layout. I have even written articles for a train magazine.

When my wife and I travel I often seek out hobby stores and train related attractions.

They say that model trains is a dying hobby but they have been saying that for years. It has diminished from what it once was but still chugging along it attendance at train shows is any indication.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:30 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,392 times
I like reading and crocheting.

Recently I have taken up peg loom weaving and have made several rugs for myself and for my son. At some point I want to get into weavinggwith other types of looms if I can. And perhaps lockerhooking.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
My car hobby is thriving still, with a huge aftermarket, restoration, and classics sales thriving as many of us are reaching an age where we can afford the restored or project dream cars that we longed for as teenagers. When I go to classic car shows and swap meets the majority of attendees are 50-70 but there are some younger people, even teens there. The Discovery and Velocity TV networks, have such programs as "Overhaulin', Wheeler Dealers, Fast and Loud, Jay Leno's Garage, Counting Cars, Graveyard Carz, Garage Squad, Chasing Classic Cars and Fantomworks. I would expect this to drop off some in the next 20 years, however.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:21 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

Really? Collecting Third Reich stuff is a "thriving" hobby?

Thriving among what type of crowd? Willing to bet that if it is indeed "thriving" (which is isnt), that its "thriving" with the Fox news watching crowd.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:39 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

Thriving among what type of crowd? Willing to bet that if it is indeed "thriving" (which is isnt), that its "thriving" with the Fox news watching crowd.
Military collecting has always been big. I see military stuff for sale at flea markets and craft shows all the time. In my area, Calvary gear from the Indian Wars is huge. Not to much from WWI, but Viet Nam is getting more popular all the time, and WWII has been collected since the war ended.
Has nothing to do with politics, most are historically interested people like the reinactors that put on Civil War battles.
They just enjoy it.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:50 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I like reading and crocheting.

Recently I have taken up peg loom weaving and have made several rugs for myself and for my son. At some point I want to get into weavinggwith other types of looms if I can. And perhaps lockerhooking.
I'm a reader and a knitter.

Egad.... that makes me sound like I own 9 cats. Lol. I assure you I do not.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:51 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

You must be joking. There are over 12,000 listings on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...eich+&_sacat=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation