Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:32 PM

570 posts, read 1,583,969 times

Advertisements

My main hobby is machine Embroidery, I have the Husqvarna Designer SE, and it is really a lot of fun, I know when I first got my embroidery machine, nothing was safe! Everything got embroidered! Even my husband's shorts!

Anyone else out there have this hobby? And also I'm addicted to collecting embroidery designs.....

I do have my favorite designers...............

Let's hear from all of you! What's your favorite machine, designer and type of designs, I love hummingbird and rose designs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 01:28 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times
I have a Designer I...I don't embroider much. I use it mostly to quilt, but if I do embroider, I am heavy on monograms. I also like lace applications and cutwork for napkins, tablecloths and such.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:30 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
I have a Janome, but haven't used it much for emboidery. I enjoy a lot of sewing. It's time to learn to embroider, methinks.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,788,856 times
I've been machine embroidering for more than a decade now. and even taught classes for a while. I started with a Pfaff 7570 and have a 2170 as well. The newest machines are outside of my budget. I also love sewing and have been doing that for better than 30 years, starting out with a very old straight, sew forward only, machine- graduating to a mid-line Kenmore 30 years ago and then a TOL Pfaff in the late 80s.

I don't have one particular favorite type of design but love "collecting" designs from many different designers and designs sites. For a while I was very attracted to free standing lace designs. There are tons of good design sites (as well as individual designers) out there. I have been creating my own designs using Embird and its related programs for a while but have a lot more to go before I feel like a pro! One of my embroidery class students loved hummingbirds and dragon flies. Everyone would try to hunt out a new design for her because she would go crazy for it.

Emma

Old 07-22-2008, 10:52 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:
Machine Embroidery anyone?
I tried to embroider a machine one time, but it was a little tough to get the embroidering device in the steel, and I nearly lost my hand doing that while the machine was running

Sorry, I couldn't resist.. I've never heard of "machine embroidery", and it wouldn't interest me.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:09 PM

J&EM, I also love dragonflies. I've never fullyu explored my machine and its capabilities, and never had a chance to take the free lessons from the place where I purchased it. Now that we've moved and I have the time (I'm retired now) the dealers here won't give free lessons because I didn't buy my machine from them.

I have the Janome 9000, with the customizer interface, which we're finally trying to set up. Don't know how that will go, as I have sooooo much to learn! It's not the most up-to-date machine, as the new ones are out of my budget also.

Whatever happened to all the embroidery cards that the stores had for sale?
I remember a few years back going into the shop and seeing entire walls covered with design cards for different machines. Sure, they were expensive, but now they're nowhere to be found. Wish I'd been able to buy a few at the time.

What are some of your favorite design sites? Do you have any links you'd be willing to share with me?

Glad you're here. I'm sure we can all learn a lot from you, if you don't mind coaching us a bit.

Magnum Mike - I got a kick out of your post! You're so funny...what are you doing in this thread, anyway?

Old 07-22-2008, 01:36 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
J.....
Magnum Mike - I got a kick out of your post! You're so funny...what are you doing in this thread, anyway?
Oh.. I just stumbled in here, they kicked me out of the forums, so I decided to check this out.

Sorry, I just saw a perfect opportunity for a little humor.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:53 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times
Southward - here are two of my favorites:

Embroidery Designs,Embird,Projects,Tutorials: Secrets of Embroidery
Embroidery Designs - 50,000 designs at Embroidery Library

Both of them have free designs you can download and convert to any format depending on your machine, and sales on designs. Secrets of has very nice projects you can make. One of them has an Embird tutorial if you want to learn digitizing.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:49 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,788,856 times
Mike.... too funny. What will you do with the word sewer?...as in "I am an avid sewer." You are welcome to stay even if "they" did quick you out of wherever on the forums!

Southward bound (I did that moving from NY to TN) a lot of people are in your boat. They got machines and never used them and then suddenly they seemed out of date and got little or no support. Usually the better dealers will offer you some form of class or you can go to a general class and buy some small items and they will be more helpful. I am going through that process right now. I have all the machines I need and want for a while but I would like service and repair as well as a chance to meet others like me in my new town.

Bibit had excellent recommendations for anyone who has the ability to use software and can convert designs to the format they need. The problem for a lot of older embroiders is that it all has changed so much over the last decade. The memory cards that were sold for each brand of machine are no longer made or sold. Only stores that bought too many might still have some for sale. The best source would be from someone who wants to sell theirs through places like e-bay. These days most machines have software packages with the ability to convert designs to the format needed. I am not familiar with how your machine can get designs but some of the older embroidery machines only ran on cards and some could connect to the computer in some ay to recieve the embroidery information. Let me know how you get your designs to your Janome and maybe I can give you some hints.

I have been a fan of Embird and its add on programs for many years. It is a fantastic program for many brands of machine including the pros in the shops you see do monograms and sports items. Secrets of Embroidery is one of the best sources for it and actually is cheaper than getting it through the web pages from the company that makes it.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:53 AM

[quote=J&Em;4575698]Mike.... too funny. What will you do with the word sewer?...as in "I am an avid sewer."

Yes, Mike. I'm chuckling just to think of it!

You are welcome to stay even if "they" did kick you out of wherever on the forums!

Indeed. Stick around. We wouldn't want you at loose ends, getting into trouble.

J&Em, thanks! I need to digest all of that, and see if I can find what Embrid is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation