Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 05:14 AM

513 posts, read 737,884 times

Advertisements

I've just started sewing again after about 20 years. I'm having a lot of trouble just getting the bobbin loaded, using my Kenmore and a Brother that my daughter used for years with no problems. Do not remember having any trouble with that years ago. The thread starts winding crookedly and eventually all over the pin rather than onto the bobbin!

A local sewing shop said to use a "class 15" bobbin. The Hobby Lobby I bought these bobbins from said they have only one brand--Sew-ology or something, which I bought. I suppose all bobbins are plastic now? What could be the problem? (Operator-error??)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 06:30 AM

22,610 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post

A local sewing shop said to use a "class 15" bobbin. The Hobby Lobby I bought these bobbins from said they have only one brand--Sew-ology or something, which I bought.
Did you order the class 15 bobbin recommended by the pros?

Old 10-05-2016, 07:24 AM

^^^^^
No, not yet--I don't know what class these I have are. I may have to do that. If these bobbins are "class 15" they must have failed the class.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:35 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,485,225 times
That sounds like a tension problem to me. If the tension isn't right, the thread will get out of place and wind onto whatever it grabs. Been there . Mine has a slider thing that you push up against the bobbin so that the thread says taut. Good luck!

Old 10-05-2016, 12:04 PM

777 posts, read 1,874,124 times
Google bobbin sidewinder. It's a portable bobbin winder that could solve your problem. I think mine is a Simplicity, but other brands exist probably manufactured by one company and rebadged under varying names. My Brother sewing machine bobbin winder died, but otherwise the machine works flawlessly. Didn't want to spend hundreds for a new machine so the sidewinder was the answer. Sidewinder reviews are generally mixed, so YMMV.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
Google bobbin sidewinder. It's a portable bobbin winder that could solve your problem. I think mine is a Simplicity, but other brands exist probably manufactured by one company and rebadged under varying names. My Brother sewing machine bobbin winder died, but otherwise the machine works flawlessly. Didn't want to spend hundreds for a new machine so the sidewinder was the answer. Sidewinder reviews are generally mixed, so YMMV.
Thanks to all who replied--especially for this one! Never heard of the "Sidewinder" but I'll definitely check it out since I've had this problem with two sewing machines.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:21 AM

23,608 posts, read 70,467,118 times
You could just gently press on the top of the spool as it feeds the thread.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:21 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,266,751 times
This is what a Class 15 bobbin looks like:

https://www.amazon.com/Singer-Bobbin...lass+15+bobbin

My old machine took that type of bobbin. I always preferred the metal ones to the plastic ones. I think the metal ones wound more reliably.

If you look on Amazon, you'll see a box of a dozen metal bobbins by Dritz that is a better deal, but I put the above link in because it better shows what the bobbins look like.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:39 PM

12,052 posts, read 8,440,782 times
You may find an answer here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=kenm...ie7&gws_rd=ssl

Also, your machine should have come with a troubleshooting guide. If it has become long lost you may be able to find one online.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:59 PM

473 posts, read 502,922 times
You may have the tension set wrong. Take some scrap fabric for project you are doing and sew along, adjusting the bobbin until you don't get a bunch up of thread on back side of fabric.

Might pick up some plastic and metal bobbins, try switching around. Might ebay search whatever sales guy mentioned to see if you can get a decent price on ebay - usually 10-20% of store prices if direct from china by Ebay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation