Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:11 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a computer based program to learn a foreign language? My daughters would love to learn Japanese, and there are a lot of programs on the market......just wondering if anyone has experience in any of them?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 02:11 AM

4,704 posts, read 4,042,723 times
I have no personal experience with it, but from those I have spoken to that have used the product, Rosetta Stone is supposedly the best. But boy is it expensive.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,947 times
I have been learning for about 2 years and have tried several programs. I have found the old fashion books and cds to be much better tools. I personally use the Japan Times series of books and cannot suggest those more. The products can be found here: http://genki.japantimes.co.jp/whatis04.en.html]Genki Online: What is Genki? (broken link)

Hope this helps and wish your daughters luck. It is a lot of work but extremely fulfilling.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
I have no personal experience with it, but from those I have spoken to that have used the product, Rosetta Stone is supposedly the best. But boy is it expensive.
Thank you for suggesting Rosetta Stone.....I remember hearing good things about this program now that you mention it. I'll have to check the price though
Thanks again!

Old 04-21-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBeasley View Post
I have been learning for about 2 years and have tried several programs. I have found the old fashion books and cds to be much better tools. I personally use the Japan Times series of books and cannot suggest those more. The products can be found here: http://genki.japantimes.co.jp/whatis04.en.html]Genki Online: What is Genki? (broken link)

Hope this helps and wish your daughters luck. It is a lot of work but extremely fulfilling.
Thanks for the personal recomendation.......I will definatly check this out. My daughters love Japanese Manga and anime....my eldest daughter hopes to eventually be able to read these books in the original Japanese. At any rate, I can see nothing but great things from having this as a hobby.

Continued good luck with your studies! And thanks again for the recommendation

Old 04-24-2008, 02:49 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,737 times
I can't really recommend much in the way of general learning software, but I've found this tool invaluable.

rikaichan | polarcloud.com

Old 04-24-2008, 04:30 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Does Berlitz have a computer based course? I just listened to the tapes, so I have a conversational ability...and I'd look over a book with the English transliterations...I can't read the kanji.

Nippongo ga wakarimas ka?

Old 05-03-2008, 06:56 PM

793 posts, read 2,214,107 times
I got rosetta stone at home, but haven't had the time to look deaply into it. I got a busy schedule.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:30 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Does Berlitz have a computer based course? I just listened to the tapes, so I have a conversational ability...and I'd look over a book with the English transliterations...I can't read the kanji.

Nippongo ga wakarimas ka?
Uhhhh, it's Nihongo. And yes, wakaru yo. Hanashimashohka? Washington no Shiatoru forum e ikkoka? -- Nihongo wo hanasu hito wa takusan desu yo! Taihen omoshiroi!!

Old 05-04-2008, 01:17 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Uhhhh, it's Nihongo. And yes, wakaru yo. Hanashimashohka? Washington no Shiatoru forum e ikkoka? -- Nihongo wo hanasu hito wa takusan desu yo! Taihen omoshiroi!!
「日本語が話せる人がたくさんいますよ。」がもっと正しく聞こえると思います。
"nihongo ga hanaseru hito ga takusan imasu yo" sounds more correct, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation