Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 04:58 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,366,446 times

Advertisements

You shouldnt get caught up worrying about what your flipping customers are getting for your items. I dont know about anyone else, but I may hit three thrift stores in a day before I find one item I can flip for the kind of markup mentioned. ($20 golf clubs sold for $85) Thats a few hours of my time and gas, and if theres a reward in it for me its usually due to my product knowledge. So I have something invested in it too.
Of course if youre really pricing things too low an adjustment is due, but jacking everything up across the board isnt wise. Again it comes down to product knowledge, and the color coding or crytic date tags will really help.
Whatever you do, dont copy an ebay page with what a similar item sold for there and place it on the item. Goodwill does that from time to time and its really a turn off, especially since the price items sell for on ebay widely varies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2023, 05:26 AM

5,457 posts, read 4,065,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
You shouldnt get caught up worrying about what your flipping customers are getting for your items. I dont know about anyone else, but I may hit three thrift stores in a day before I find one item I can flip for the kind of markup mentioned. ($20 golf clubs sold for $85) Thats a few hours of my time and gas, and if theres a reward in it for me its usually due to my product knowledge. So I have something invested in it too.
Of course if youre really pricing things too low an adjustment is due, but jacking everything up across the board isnt wise. Again it comes down to product knowledge, and the color coding or crytic date tags will really help.
Whatever you do, dont copy an ebay page with what a similar item sold for there and place it on the item. Goodwill does that from time to time and its really a turn off, especially since the price items sell for on ebay widely varies.
Especially when it's a "Listed on Ebay for $X.xx", not even a completed listing.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:09 AM

10,915 posts, read 7,417,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Yeah, you want to sell for eBay prices, you pay the eBay fees and hassle with shipping and returns and such. That's the cost to reach that huge online customer base. Otherwise, just price for your customer base.

Goodwill has an online marketplace, Shopgodwill.com . I've bought two sewing machines there for great prices: about $30 each, including shipping. One works well, the other not at all, and there are no returns. If I'd bought in store, I could have returned the broken one.

At least it's a popular vintage model; I could sell it "for parts or repair" for more than I paid, but that will include the hassles.

Old 04-01-2023, 12:02 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,366,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Yeah, you want to sell for eBay prices, you pay the eBay fees and hassle with shipping and returns and such. That's the cost to reach that huge online customer base. Otherwise, just price for your customer base.

Goodwill has an online marketplace, Shopgodwill.com . I've bought two sewing machines there for great prices: about $30 each, including shipping. One works well, the other not at all, and there are no returns. If I'd bought in store, I could have returned the broken one.

At least it's a popular vintage model; I could sell it "for parts or repair" for more than I paid, but that will include the hassles.
Im a man who strangely enough knows how to sew and sewing machines are something I both buy and sell. I think of them like a tool, similar to a drill press. I almost got burned on a Janome Sew Mini from ebay, sold as working but the timing had skipped a gear tooth and wouldnt pick up the bottom thread. Seller denied the return but after appeal ebay gave me a refund.
A few months ago I decided I had to have a vintage Elna Stella, its a small machine where the sides fold up to make a case. (An update of their Lotus)
I knew it was missing the needle plate, but getting a repro of that added $90 to the $150 paid.
Its collecting dust in storage because it doesnt have an automatic threader like my 2 Janomes do. Beautiful Swiss made machine though.
Sewing machines almost always cheap at Goodwill. Another thing Im finding at thrift stores is Miele vacuums. German made, retail for $6-900 new, Ive found 3 now for $20-25. People pay $100 for them on CL the day you list them.

Old 04-02-2023, 07:46 PM

10,915 posts, read 7,417,733 times
Sewing machines are rare and always expensive at thrift stores around here, and even parts machines go for big bucks on CL.

I notice that lots of the vintage kenmore machines I've seen on goodwill online are located in Minnesota. I wonder if there was a factory there.

Old 04-02-2023, 07:55 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,727,992 times
Thrift stores around here died out a long time ago. They take anything good and sell it themselves online. But I'm selling costume jewelry on ebay. I had to clean out my cousin's house and she was a hoarder so this is my reward--box upon box of costume jewelry. I'm not working hard at selling though--just having fun getting rid of it and receiving a bit of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation