U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2008, 11:43 AM
 
Location: mid wyoming
2,008 posts, read 6,040,720 times
Reputation: 1878

Advertisements

I like to metal detect and treasure hunting. Anyone else hunt meteors while doing this? They seem to bring alot of money if you sell one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2008, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Redneckistan
11,102 posts, read 13,187,099 times
Reputation: 3923
My wife and I got into metal detecting about ten years ago,but never pursued it like I really wanted to.I have friends who have made some good money off doing it and I think meteor hunting would be a blast,especially if you stumbled across one.The dude in this link has it figured out,RIDE in a seat,don't walk.
Equipment Trader Insider - Official blog of Equipment Trader Online: Meteor hunter searches Kansas farms for space rocks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 05:39 AM
 
Location: California
11,435 posts, read 17,144,928 times
Reputation: 12499
It sounds like fun, I saw a show on it and you can make some good money, I wouldn't know where to start looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Redneckistan
11,102 posts, read 13,187,099 times
Reputation: 3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It sounds like fun, I saw a show on it and you can make some good money, I wouldn't know where to start looking.
Same here RD....the show I saw had some dude on it that had made big bucks on it and lived in a kind of batcave looking place.I don't know if NASA or NOAA or some other agency keeps track of sitings and approximate elevations/direction of travel etc at the point of the sitings...You know there has to be some kind of intel on it somewhere or at least it looks like there would be.That could help a bit.I would enjoy camping and hunting for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Heading to the NW, 4 sure.
4,470 posts, read 6,838,985 times
Reputation: 8683
Sounds like fun to me. I have a Metal Detector,but haven't had time to work with it yet.
Out in NM there should be all kinds of stuff...even UFO leftovers!!

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Redneckistan
11,102 posts, read 13,187,099 times
Reputation: 3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Sounds like fun to me. I have a Metal Detector,but haven't had time to work with it yet.
Out in NM there should be all kinds of stuff...even UFO leftovers!!

HW
UFO leftovers would be SWEET!!! If we couldn't sell them we could build rat rods out of the parts and cruise them around all summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 03:19 PM
 
1,399 posts, read 2,150,327 times
Reputation: 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I like to metal detect and treasure hunting. Anyone else hunt meteors while doing this? They seem to bring alot of money if you sell one.
While many meteorite hunters do sell their finds, I think that the greatest satisfaction comes from the search itself and preserving your finds to view and share with others over the years.

If you're serious about adding meteorites to your list of bottles, coins, etc.., I strongly urge you to read "Find A Falling Star" by Harvey H. Nininger, and "Rocks From Space" by O. Richard Norton. You may even need to purchase another metal detector.

You can download most of the maps that you would need at no charge, but I usually need to purchase additional maps from the BLM when working one area over many months or years, in order to maintain an accurate record. Most rock hunters consider a GPS a mandatory piece of equipment, along with a compass, camera, magnet, pick, and well, you get the idea.

A dry lake is a good starting point, as the access shouldn't be a problem. You could hunt almost anywhere, but most meteorite hunters search WHERE METEORITES HAVE ALREADY BEEN FOUND. This info is available on the web.

A few words of caution: always fill your holes; never hunt on private property without permission; never hunt on state-owned land; check with the BLM as you probably can't hunt on this land either. I said "probably" because it varies from office to office, but if you aren't permitted to remove anything, why hunt there?

IMO, joining a gold prospecting club is the best way to go. You will have exclusive access to many prime hunting areas, you will gain valuable info re the proper equipment and search methods, you will receive updates on new regs, and you will make new friends.

Good hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2008, 06:32 AM
 
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Redneckistan
11,102 posts, read 13,187,099 times
Reputation: 3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
While many meteorite hunters do sell their finds, I think that the greatest satisfaction comes from the search itself and preserving your finds to view and share with others over the years.

If you're serious about adding meteorites to your list of bottles, coins, etc.., I strongly urge you to read "Find A Falling Star" by Harvey H. Nininger, and "Rocks From Space" by O. Richard Norton. You may even need to purchase another metal detector.

You can download most of the maps that you would need at no charge, but I usually need to purchase additional maps from the BLM when working one area over many months or years, in order to maintain an accurate record. Most rock hunters consider a GPS a mandatory piece of equipment, along with a compass, camera, magnet, pick, and well, you get the idea.

A dry lake is a good starting point, as the access shouldn't be a problem. You could hunt almost anywhere, but most meteorite hunters search WHERE METEORITES HAVE ALREADY BEEN FOUND. This info is available on the web.

A few words of caution: always fill your holes; never hunt on private property without permission; never hunt on state-owned land; check with the BLM as you probably can't hunt on this land either. I said "probably" because it varies from office to office, but if you aren't permitted to remove anything, why hunt there?

IMO, joining a gold prospecting club is the best way to go. You will have exclusive access to many prime hunting areas, you will gain valuable info re the proper equipment and search methods, you will receive updates on new regs, and you will make new friends.

Good hunting.
REP2U Good info....Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 04:43 PM
 
2 posts, read 11,010 times
Reputation: 10
Post Meteorite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I like to metal detect and treasure hunting. Anyone else hunt meteors while doing this? They seem to bring alot of money if you sell one.
I have spent many, many hours hunting for meteorites, @1500 hours. I have a White's mxt metal detector, a truck and an enduro motorcycle. I have studied lots of books and own several books. It is very difficult to find a meteorite let alone make a living at it. I have about 16 meteors in my collection and I believe that it takes hundreds of hours to find your first meteorite. Yes there is money in meteorites but there has to be a passion in your heart for it. I love the desert and meteorites but it just does not happen easliy. It takes a lot of work and finances to get there. One must have permission to hunt for meterites on private land and if found on public land , they belong to whoever governs that land. If the BLM catches you on thier land with a magnet on a stick, you will have some explaining to do. If you simply must have a meteorite buy one, it is so much cheaper and easier. In closing it is the scientific data of a meteorite that also inhances the value also take a picture and log the GPS location of the find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 10:04 AM
 
Location: mid wyoming
2,008 posts, read 6,040,720 times
Reputation: 1878
Well Frank, I figured a long time ago, IF I find anything of value, it will always be on my land here in Wyoming.
Now on the show I have seen the men were hunting them on public land and I have read stories of people that hunt professionally for them, again, on public land. In New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, and continue to hunt them there. I will check into it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top