Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 03:57 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else on here blog? I'm assuming it's kinda like an online journal correct? If I wanted to start one, where would I go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 05:40 AM

225 posts, read 1,075,500 times
Although I have kept a diary/journal for many years I could never get into Blogging. My journals are more for my private thoughts and moments and I could never see myself setting up a Blog for all to see unless it pertained to some hobby or career. And that may be the whole intention of Blogging. Just not something I could see myself doing. However, it does seem to be very popular among many people so finding a Blogging site should be fairly easy. I believe many Internet services (such as Igoogle, AOL, Yahoo, MSN, etc.) even provide areas for keeping a Blog.

Another way would be to look at various forum sites, such as this one, that deal with whatever your interest is in and see if they have an area for Blogging. You could also try sites that deal with whatever your hobbies are, they are sure to have a Blogging area. If any of these suggestions are not giving you the results you were hoping for then just do the old fashioned method of Googling "Blogs" and you are sure to be returned with many various hits. Good luck with it.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 AM

128 posts, read 362,649 times
I'm a fulltime freelance writer/author, and I get paid to blog on a couple of different websites related to my areas of expertise (personal finance, writing, and the environment). Starting your own blog is easy and cheap (even free); check out Blogger.com and similar hosting sites.

If you like to write, it's a good outlet for your creative energy if nothing else, since you can "publish" whatever you like. That said, building any significant readership for your blog can be difficult if you're just starting out and are "unknown," particulary given the many, many millions of blogs online today. That's why, as the previous poster suggested, it's best to intergrate your blog into an existing high-traffic website related to the subject matter you're writing about, if possible, rather than have it be a stand alone blog or one that appears only on your own website.

Blogging can give you some good practice honing your writing skills, and, if it takes off, you might be able to sell adds on the site and generate some income, although don't fool yourself ... it's likely to be very little money. Blogs can also help you break into the writing business, if that interests you, perhaps helping you land assignments with traditional print publications, book deals, etc., although that stuff is way down the road, if it happens at all.

Good luck, and feel free to contact me directly if you need any more advice.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
I blog, the URL is in my profile under Contact Info. I use Blogger.
For me, it's strictly a hobby and, as Ultimate mentioned, an outlet for creative energies.
You can blog right here on CD if you want.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:14 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I appreciate your answers everyone!!! I have a private journal. This is going to sound odd but I always thought I should write a book about my life so far. I've lead a pretty interesting one. I doubt it would get published so I didn't know if blogging would be the next best thing.

LOL but I don't think there's a dancer forum on here that's appropriate

Old 01-01-2009, 03:25 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,571 times
I started one today

www.urbanhippyyuppy.blogspot.com (broken link)

blogspot was easy and is user friendly

Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 PM

617 posts, read 2,073,118 times
I blog. My primary blog, started in 2000, is listed in my profile under contact info. I have two other active blogs, two more I'm developing and several that are simply domains and an idea in my head. I love to blog because I have a lot to say.

Blogspot.com aka Blogger.com, is free and allows some ads, like Google Adsense. Not all free blogging sites allow advertising. Be sure to read the TOS before you place any ads on your blog because a few bloggers have had their blogs deleted for breaking TOS with specific types of ads. My blogs are hosted on my own domains, using the Wordpress software as my blogging platform. I prefer my own domains because I like having complete control over my sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation