Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 05:05 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Never hiked it but fascinated by it. A friend at work, his son and best friend hiked the whole trail right after college. My friend and many family and friends all joined them at certain points along their journey and hiked small sections with them.

With my love of California I have been reading and also watching You Tube videos of the travels of many on the John Muir Trail. While not as long the elevation changes make it not for the weak of heart.
Actually, the John Muir Trail is only part of the Pacific Crest Trail, which starts at the border with Mexico in the California desert and ends at the border with Canada in Washington, and is over 400 miles longer than the AT. It generally follows mountain crests (Sierra Nevada, Cascades, numerous other smaller ranges).

Though the PCT spends a lot of time at higher altitude than even the highest point on the AT, the footpath itself is more modern - fewer rocks/roots, more switchbacks, etc.). It lacks the AT's shelters, and services and - especially in the south - water are less common along the route.

Pacific Crest Trail Association - Preserving, Protecting and Promoting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 09:11 PM

166 posts, read 243,779 times
I plan to take a couple of months off from everything and hike as far as I can on the AT when I retire from the military. My son will be about 12 or 13 years old and I'd love to have him go with me.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:55 AM

741 posts, read 915,545 times
A good friend of mine did the whole thing.

Its gained a lot of popularity in recent years. There are a ton of stories online, even blogs of people actively on the trail. Wisdom galore. I won't bother repeating his stories but he ranks it as pretty much the single best thing he ever did.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:21 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
I have hiked only about 60 miles of the AT but I have friends who have hiked the whole thing. I don't know anyone who has hiked the PCT or CDT. There are people out there who have done all three otherwise known as the triple crown.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:44 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,032 times
I recently read a book from a former journalist who wanted to hike the whole AT... until his alcoholic, overweight friend decided to join him. They started in Georgia, and it was snowing. They stopped in Tennessee, I believe, in a major snowstorm. Then they did little pieces here and there. It seems to me the hardest part would be Maine, because it's either snow-packed half the year, and the other half, the trail forces you to wade into chest-deep lakes and rivers.

Although I enjoy hiking, and have been just about everywhere in the U.S., I've never set foot on the AT (as far as I know).

Old 09-28-2014, 09:22 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Has anyone, in our midst, ever hiked the entire Appalachian Trail? - No, we have not hiked the entire Appalachian Trail. We lived and worked near the AT for about 13 years (1985 to 1998), in southern PA, crossed it almost every day on the way to work on PA Route 16. Have been to various points from New Jersey to North Carolina, mostly just parking nearby and hiking a few miles. Have flown over portions in a private plane. Somewhere I have our old maps and descriptions of our travels over the years packed away.

Here is a neat map from appalachiantrail.org: Appalachian Trail Conservancy - Interactive Map We could have really used that years ago for planning.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:25 PM

66 posts, read 77,834 times
Haven't hiked it, but read a good book about one man's experience called AWOL on the Appalachian Trail by David Miller. Quite the challenge.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:15 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
I would recommend the following: A Walk in the Woods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:39 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
My brother just finished his through hike, we picked him up in Maine last week. He hiked with his girlfriend and started just before the St. Patrick's Day "rush" from Georgia. The last month went miserably slow due to the hiking making a disk issue in his lower back act up. They finished on October 15.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:48 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Tennessee has some great hiking as a senior I am not up to very long hikes yet..
For those coming to Tennessee Cumberland Trail Conference and the State Parks have great hiking areas..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation