Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:11 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,419,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
SNAP-TITES?? Get out of this thread you cut-rate pee-wee amateur!

Seriously we used to really turn our nose down to those as kids. Besides then what excuse do you have to sniff the glue?
some of the more modern snap-tites are pretty detailed. None made in my realm of modeling (Armor), but some are pretty darn good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 06:45 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
I tried to get back into modeling last year, just couldn't get the excitement up, got this far and stopped.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Davejb/Models/69%20Camaro%20SS%20427/2-24-084.jpg (broken link)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Davejb/Models/69%20Camaro%20SS%20427/2-24-08.jpg (broken link)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Davejb/Models/69%20Camaro%20SS%20427/2-23-084.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-04-2009, 09:31 AM

415 posts, read 972,834 times
Nice Camaro, Great Job on the spark plug wires lol.

I build models on a regular basis, Cars, Planes, Sci Fi especially. I usually check out ebay for them anymore because the prices at the hobby stores themselves are just outrageous and i can usually find the older kits on ebay much cheaper.

I've been working on an Academy 1/32 F-16 and a Hasegawa 1/32 F-16 for entrance into the Harding COunty Fair up here in august. I also got a 1/32 F-4 Phantom and a 1/48 F-4 Phantom that I want to do with my son ( he gets the 1/48's and I get the 1/32 cuz my eyes are getting bad and the bigger the parts for me the better now lol) for entrance into the fair too. Plan on doing them up as identical planes just 2 different scales lol.

About 3-4 yrs ago though I was really big into the sci fi (mostly star trek) ships and even worked on several Resin and Resin Conversion kits for some of the Styrene kits that were out there.

I also prefer Scratch building and Kit bashing alot too. I have 15 Klingon Bird of Prey Kits I've been working on for a small fleet of Klingon Ships, USS Enterprise Kits, Reliant Kits, Stargazer, Grissom, Bozeman, to name a few. The possibilities are endless with kitbashing the older Trek Kits LOL.

The selections at the stores though really is going downhill. Hobby Lobby for example has 2 billion car models on the shelf but not much of anything else. Even the El Cheapo Car models are no longer el cheapo either and I think that is driving alot of people away from the hobby itself. I mean come on now, 1/4 ounce bottles of paint for almost 2 bucks, that works out to like 6000 dollars a gallon for paint. Let alone the model master brand paints, 1/2 ounce for almost 4-5 bucks a bottle now. Need a small fortune just to paint the kits anymore.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:35 AM

Oh and I am also working on a Revellogram 1/48 B-29 Model kit with actual electric Motors in the engines to turn the props for the county fair as well. Will rig up a Battery supply for them that will include a Momentary switch that people can press as they look at it to turn the props on and off LOL.

Motors are all mounted and such, They look great, will have to take some snapshots of it and post.

I was also thinking of doing the entire plane with Spray Adhesive and layers of aluminum foil instead of painting the plane with that worthless silver type paints that seem to rub off if you look at the paint wrong. So far the one wing I have experimented with on the aluminum foil looks rock on lol.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHomesteader View Post
Nice Camaro, Great Job on the spark plug wires lol.

I build models on a regular basis, Cars, Planes, Sci Fi especially. I usually check out ebay for them anymore because the prices at the hobby stores themselves are just outrageous and i can usually find the older kits on ebay much cheaper.

I've been working on an Academy 1/32 F-16 and a Hasegawa 1/32 F-16 for entrance into the Harding COunty Fair up here in august. I also got a 1/32 F-4 Phantom and a 1/48 F-4 Phantom that I want to do with my son ( he gets the 1/48's and I get the 1/32 cuz my eyes are getting bad and the bigger the parts for me the better now lol) for entrance into the fair too. Plan on doing them up as identical planes just 2 different scales lol.

About 3-4 yrs ago though I was really big into the sci fi (mostly star trek) ships and even worked on several Resin and Resin Conversion kits for some of the Styrene kits that were out there.

I also prefer Scratch building and Kit bashing alot too. I have 15 Klingon Bird of Prey Kits I've been working on for a small fleet of Klingon Ships, USS Enterprise Kits, Reliant Kits, Stargazer, Grissom, Bozeman, to name a few. The possibilities are endless with kitbashing the older Trek Kits LOL.

The selections at the stores though really is going downhill. Hobby Lobby for example has 2 billion car models on the shelf but not much of anything else. Even the El Cheapo Car models are no longer el cheapo either and I think that is driving alot of people away from the hobby itself. I mean come on now, 1/4 ounce bottles of paint for almost 2 bucks, that works out to like 6000 dollars a gallon for paint. Let alone the model master brand paints, 1/2 ounce for almost 4-5 bucks a bottle now. Need a small fortune just to paint the kits anymore.
check out S q u a d r o n . c o m - Cookie (http://www.squadron.com/SearchResults.asp?offset=0 - broken link)

they are awsome when it comes to the shear amount of kits they have in stock. If I cannot find the kit I am looking for in my local hobby store, which is rare, I go here.

I am lucky to have one of the small mom and pop hobby shops in town that is well stocked and very busy (Coplar hobbies)

Old 04-04-2009, 12:38 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,932 times
I have my students build them. They really understand the importance of following directions and paying attention to detail. And all kids like models. I was shocked when I first went to buy them--as a kid, I built the Bismark etc. Now, a ship model is a hundred bucks! So I haunt yard sales during the summer.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Yeap been there to Squadron's Website, not too bad, some of the prices are pretty good too.

Megahobby.com and Hobbylinc.com is another good one too. There are tons of sites up there that sell models and I have noticed that alot of the online retailers can beat the local stores prices by quite a bit, do most of my Model Building stuff online now a days.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHomesteader View Post
Yeap been there to Squadron's Website, not too bad, some of the prices are pretty good too.

Megahobby.com and Hobbylinc.com is another good one too. There are tons of sites up there that sell models and I have noticed that alot of the online retailers can beat the local stores prices by quite a bit, do most of my Model Building stuff online now a days.
That is where I get my resin and photo-etch materials, most of them are not carried in my local hobby shop. I tried Lucky-Models at one point as well. I think the hobby has many many years left into the future, it is just moving online for the sale of the kits

Old 04-06-2009, 09:57 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,621 times
I build mostly props. I was really into it as a kid but was never any good. Got glue everywhere and painted with whatever color was handy at the time. I lost interest for a long time after that.

When the internet came along I really got inspired by some of the work builders were posting and I started to get back into it a little.

Over the past year I have picked up the pace from building one every 6 months (sometimes years!) to one every couple months. I find it relaxes me and I don't think about much else while I am building. Now that I have a hobby room I can make a mess of things and not worry about the wife telling me to get it out of the way

I really like squadron for ordering my kits. Spruebrothers is another good one (they have incredibly fast shipping). Great service by both. My local shop closed but another one opened recently that I want to check out. I shop online unless it is some off the shelf paint color or kit.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:27 PM

Well I got my B-29 Half Done, One wing is done and equipped with Reversable electric motors to turn the props LOL. Will have to get some pics up and share if anyone is interested. I think this things gonna look good for the County Fair LOL.

One of my F-16's is in trouble though, I started out with the Blue Flanker Camo Job and didn't like how it turned out so sprayed the whole thing back over with some gray primer and I'll be damned if the darker shade of blue didn't bubble underneath the Primer. Arghhhhhhhhhhhh. Not sure how I am gonna fix that screw up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation