Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 03:54 PM

266 posts, read 1,003,072 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there are any gold panners on this forum. I would like to have some recreation and make a little extra cash by panning in the California foothills. I am researching the area up around Sonora?

Do you have any favorite spots or any gossip on the best areas?

I am sure if you find a Mother Lode you will be very secretive? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 12:01 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
I dabble in gold panning from time to time, but haven't really found much gold so far. Most of the places I've panned have been in southern California, and have been places where it was convenient for me, not necessarily places where there's a lot of known gold. The area up around Sonora should offer plenty of opportunities. If you haven't already checked it out, you should look into joining the GPAA. Their website is Gold Prospectors Association of America
GPAA has a number of mining claims that are able to be used by the members, so if you join, you can work their claims instead of going through the process of finding, staking, and filing your own claim. This is a great way to learn about the hobby before getting too heavily invested. I have yet to join GPAA myself, but I've been planning to for a while. Perhaps this thread will get me to do so.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:09 AM

jdavid,
Thank you for the tip. I will look into it. I am near Sonora and heard that it is a great place to start.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:49 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
We have friends over in Angels Camp that sell gold panning supplies, at Books and More. They probably share some locations. I found those little books on old locations pretty valuable, especially the old out of print ones from the 70's.

I've panned in a few locations, mostly finding just flakes. I just turn a few rocks and try my luck. Mostly in Columbia, Ward's ferry, back behind Tuolumne City.
Friend of mine actually found a wooden box with gold coins in it after a heavy rain, that was in a old wash.

Most people are using dredges with hookah gear or old fashioned rockers.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
We have friends over in Angels Camp that sell gold panning supplies, at Books and More. They probably share some locations. I found those little books on old locations pretty valuable, especially the old out of print ones from the 70's.

I've panned in a few locations, mostly finding just flakes. I just turn a few rocks and try my luck. Mostly in Columbia, Ward's ferry, back behind Tuolumne City.
Friend of mine actually found a wooden box with gold coins in it after a heavy rain, that was in a old wash.

Most people are using dredges with hookah gear or old fashioned rockers.
Thanks for the lead. I will check out Angels Camp. I am researching locations now but it is not a simple google!

Old 08-09-2009, 11:12 AM

737 posts, read 1,037,015 times
You are 160 years too late!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:33 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Guess the governor outlawed dredges now. Interferes with salmon runs.

As far as being 160 years too late, gold is always washing up. Every rain storm exposes more.
Gold is high right now with the bad economy.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by round tuit View Post
You are 160 years too late!
Actually not! The 49ers only discovered a small percentage of the gold in them there hills. Every winter washes more gold into the streams.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Guess the governor outlawed dredges now. Interferes with salmon runs.

As far as being 160 years too late, gold is always washing up. Every rain storm exposes more.
Gold is high right now with the bad economy.
Very true and I want my piece of the pile.
Too bad about the dredges. I have seen the small ones in use and they don't seem to affect anything environmentally. However, it is just another way for gummit to intrude into our lives. Pretty soon we won't be able to buckle our pants without some rule about "no more than 4 holes per belt".

We are going from home of the free to death by a thousand rules! uggh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation