Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 06:10 PM

2,950 posts, read 5,202,669 times

Advertisements

Just saw on a Blue Jackets' telecast that Nathan Horton bought 1,000 tix for firefighters, police, EMTs to the game tonight against San Jose. The announcer said his dad was a policeman, I think.

Wow...quite a gesture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 05:49 AM

458 posts, read 657,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Just saw on a Blue Jackets' telecast that Nathan Horton bought 1,000 tix for firefighters, police, EMTs to the game tonight against San Jose. The announcer said his dad was a policeman, I think.

Wow...quite a gesture.
I also just read that Tavares from the Islanders sent a young fan some equipment after being teased and taunted at a game. It's amazing how there are so many good will stories out of the NHL, but nothing but thugs and criminals in the NFL

Old 03-14-2014, 06:40 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,456,675 times
You have to look at where and how NHL players grow up, compared to footballers.

The Parents are the difference, in my opinion. For a kid to play hockey at an advanced level, Mum and Dad need to have deep pockets, and be directly involved in their kid's life. Very early mornings at the rink for 7am practices, long drives to "away games " and weekends at tournaments, staying in motels, and of course, off season hockey camps, and individual training. To pay for that, for a kid can easily cost thousands a year, at age 10. And they grow out of equipment just about every year.

A few examples...... Wayne Gretzki at age 14 was playing with 18 year olds, and living in a town 150 miles from his family. At age 16, he was the leading scorer in his semi pro league, and had been signed to a NHL prospect contract, at age 19 he WAS a pro, in the now defunct WHL. He never finished high school, and he certainly never attended a University. Bobby Orr had a similar story, only he was a Boston prospect. If you have ever heard him speak in public, you will know that he is almost bashful, and he never forgets to credit his Father and Mother for his success in hockey and in later life. Sid Crosby comes out of the same background , a small town kid who is as genuine as they come.

Not many NHL players grew up in a family with no Father around, in a public housing project, with little money to spend on organised sports. Compare that to the typical NFL players background ? Or the NBA.

A final point..... about 50 percent of the current NHL players are Canadians, and on some teams that runs up to 80 percent. In Canada there are NO sports scholarships at our Universities. None at all, so if a kid wants to make it to the "big leagues " they have to do it on their own merit, and on their families money. Yes , we do have scholarships, at our Universities, but they are for ACADEMIC advancement. Unlike in the USA, in Canada our post secondary institutions are for education, not as a stepping stone to a professional sports career. That is not to say that some Canadian NHL players have not gone to University, but it's not done on a "full ride " scholarship, and in many cases, it happens after their career is over.

Remember a tall lanky goalie, who played for Montreal, back in the 70's ? He is now a Member of Parliament, and lawyer. Ken Dryden.

Stephen Harper, our Prime Minister, is a huge hockey fan, and he has recently published a book about the early days of the game in Canada. He and his kids attend Senators games all season long, and they sit in the stands, with no body guards, alongside the rest of the fans. Imagine the POUS doing that ?

Of course he also drives his own car to work.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:57 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,202,669 times
Canadian citizen: nice and insightful post.

Also, when the tv shows an NHL player's parents in the stands, the father is included. In some other sports in the U.S., often a shot of a minority player's family just shows the mother without her husband.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:14 AM

Bostonguy"

Thanks.

One of the things that many NHL teams do, that you don't see in other sports, is the Fathers and Sons team trip, where the players and their Dads , go together, on a road trip. The team, for example the Leafs, are scheduled to play 3 games down south. The team and the Dads, fly to Carolina, then Tampa and Miami. With golf and salt water fishing scheduled in between games.

Here is a link to a story about the Leafs Florida Dad's trip.

Maple Leafs treat dads to Florida road trip | Hockey | CBC Sports

For the past 10 years, the Leafs have had a annual event, where they fund the renovation of a local rink here in the city of Toronto. The amount runs about $250,000 in new seats, locker room up grades, and new lighting, and score board. Individual players also raise funds for Sick Kids hospital, and the Tim Horton's kids hockey schools. Sid Crosby, at age 9, down in Coal Harbour, Nova Scotia, was on a Tims supported tykes team. Over 100,000 kids in Canada play on teams supported by the Tim Horton's coffee and donuts cafes.

One final point, the NHL has a strict rule about what players must wear to go to a game. Suits and ties, and leather shoes. A professional appearance in public. Same thing for management types, including behind the bench at a game. I can remember when NHL coaches wore fedoras, behind the bench.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:43 PM

8,805 posts, read 10,255,341 times
The Hurricanes are really trying to get me to root for another team.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:18 AM

I mentioned that our Prime Minister, Stephen Harper is a huge hockey fan, and that he attends many of the Ottawa Senators home games. Here is a series of photos of him at some games. No body guards, no special box seat, just another fan in the stands. Yes, Canada is a peaceful country, when the national leader can move around with such ease. He has recently published a book about the early days of hockey in Canada.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=steph...03%3B620%3B349

Harpers book.

A Great Game | Stephen J. Harper

All proceeds from the sale of this book will go to the Canadian Forces Family Support Fund.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Last edited by canadian citizen; 03-17-2014 at 08:40 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 08:39 AM

458 posts, read 657,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I mentioned that our Prime Minister, Stephen Harper is a huge hockey fan, and that he attends many of the Ottawa Senators home games. Here is a series of photos of him at some games. No body guards, no special box seat, just another fan in the stands. Yes, Canada is a peaceful country, when the national leader can move around with such ease. He has recently published a book about the early days of hockey in Canada.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=steph...03%3B620%3B349

Harpers book.

A Great Game | Stephen J. Harper

Jim B.

Toronto.
As an American, I have a ton of respect for your country, and enjoy travelling within Canada any chance I get. I regularly upset fellow Americans when I point out what you stated, and that's Canadian athletes are brought up properly, and that Canada is the epitome of having ever lasting pride in their country

Old 03-17-2014, 09:22 AM

WAPAN ;

Thanks for your kind words.

I spent 30 years wearing " Canada " on my shoulders, as a member of the Canadian Forces. During my career, I did a number of exchange training tours, with US Army and USMC units. I was a military Police investigator, and forensics technician. On my off time, I spent many hours in conversation with my US counterparts, talking about my country, and how we live here. It was a learning experience, for both sides.

Some of the men that I served with in the USA, came up to Canada, to visit with me and my wife, and to go fishing or hunting with me. I have also been back down to Georgia, and Alabama, to do the same things.

As a CF veteran, I am pleased that the Prime Minister will donate all money raised through the sale of his new book to the CF Family Fund.

A final point.....Every year, the season ticket holders of the Toronto Maple Leafs are asked to donate seats for a game, usually held as close to November the eleventh as possible, to Canadian Forces "wounded warriors " and their spouses. Last year that amounted to over 14,000 seats given up for vets.

November 11th in Canada is Remembrance Day, the day that we mourn our military dead, from all wars.

Here is a video of the Leafs Remembrance Day ceremony, at centre ice. Turn on your speakers.

Toronto Maple Leafs Remembrance Day Tribute November 8th 2011 - YouTube

Lest We Forget.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:08 AM

Here is the video of the Leafs Canadian Forces appreciation night. Turn on your speakers.

Canadian Forces Night - 02/01/2014 Video - NHL VideoCenter - Toronto Maple Leafs

For those that don't know........Tiger Williams is the all time NHL penalty minutes champ, while Darryl Sittler holds the record for the most points scored in one game, ten points. And Lanny McDonald led the league in mustache size, for a number of years. (grin).

Jim B.

Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey