Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times

Advertisements

Anybody out there who kind of hopes that Pittsburgh gets eliminated in the first round of the playoffs? Not that I dislike the Pens, its just that I get very tired of the media (when they pay attention to hockey) keeping their heads near Crosbys waist all the time. There are a lot of good teams out there, but the media really likes to hype 'the star' (who is quiet and speaks good english). It would force media to do a little better job in coverage (at least I hope).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 01:46 PM

602 posts, read 2,034,647 times
I blame part of the hype around Crosby on the league itself. From day one, they positioned him as this whole "Next Gretzky". While he's a good player, he's no Wayne Gretzky and most fans know that.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:09 PM

317 posts, read 535,859 times
ZING...

I think most of us in the Hockey World would love to never hear the words "And here's (insert annoucers name here) with Cindy Crysby"... The kid is not the face of the NHL. It is what they want, but it is not working... When I think of the NHL, the first thing that comes to my mind is Datsyuk or A.O... Not Cindy...

Old 04-08-2009, 07:41 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hameltoe View Post
ZING...

I think most of us in the Hockey World would love to never hear the words "And here's (insert annoucers name here) with Cindy Crysby"... The kid is not the face of the NHL. It is what they want, but it is not working... When I think of the NHL, the first thing that comes to my mind is Datsyuk or A.O... Not Cindy...
Both of you are absolutely correct. The NHL wants Crosby to succeed and thus they put him in the spotlight, the trouble is that every game between Crosby and Ovechkin this year, A.O. outplayed Crosby. Crosby isn't even the best player on the Pens right now as it's clearly Malkin.

Big debate right now as to who wins the Hart between Ovechkin and Malkin, Malkin has 2 more points than Ovechkin and more assists, but Ovechkin is the top goal scorer and this may be the biggest stat that might decide who gets it is the shots on goal disparity where A.O. has over 200 more than Malkin.

I want to go to the awards show since it's here in Vegas, but I'm not shelling out $500/ticket. I'll catch it on Versus.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:46 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,247,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Crosby isn't even the best player on the Pens right now as it's clearly Malkin.
Right on the $$$. I still am wondering why he won the hart trophy in 2007?
About the Penguins, they can be an entertaining bunch to watch, but I'm not feeling sorry for them if they get knocked out early, now that they've clinched a berth.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:31 PM

81 posts, read 194,523 times
I love ovechkin as a player, but the media hype he gets is irritating too. They dumb down hockey and try and make it accessable to the casual fan in general, and I dislike that very much.

And yes I would love to see the penguins ( and any good team) eliminated in the first round. Makes the bruins chances at advancing better

Old 04-10-2009, 10:23 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Right on the $$$. I still am wondering why he won the hart trophy in 2007?
About the Penguins, they can be an entertaining bunch to watch, but I'm not feeling sorry for them if they get knocked out early, now that they've clinched a berth.
I'm not a big Crosby fan, but he did pretty good in 2007. He can keep the Hart trophy. People say Malkin is better, but all I can think of is Malkins total ineffectiveness in the Fiinals last year. Crosby didn't do much either, but he had way more impact than Malkin did. We willl see if it is different this year in about a week!

Go Wings!

Old 04-10-2009, 10:32 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,735,023 times
i would prefer if the Capitals get knocked out first. They are way overrated. Ovechiken and Green are the Capitals.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:45 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
i would prefer if the Capitals get knocked out first. They are way overrated. Ovechiken and Green are the Capitals.
Well yes and no. A.O. was held pointless last night as the Caps won 4-2 over the Lightning which secured the #2 seed. Brooks Laich had 2 goals so he could be a factor in the first round, don't forget Semin who can be hot or cold. I would like to see Federov get back to his old form next week.

The key for the Caps will be the blue liners, if they do a decent job of standing up the opposition attackers then the Caps will go deep in the playoffs.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:45 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Will the first round games be televised anywhere but VS and the Center Ice package? Hockey could gain some ground in exposure by televising a few of the weeknight games on another network...especially since the Original 6 teams are good again (I Think this is HUGE for hockey exposure).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey