Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 08:00 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,069 times

Advertisements

I just have that feeling, even though I've been to Montreal and Quebec province enough times to form an opinion about it. I live around the Portland area and said to someone that the following for the Trailblazers in Portland could be about 1/2 of what the following is (locally) for the Canadiens in Montreal and the Blazers are for sure popular around Portland, but it's not a near religion like the Habs are in Montreal.
The only team that I think could have more of a rabid following in North America along with their local following, is Detroit.
What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 12:21 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
The Rangers have a rabid following, as do the Wings. But Id agree that no other hockey team has the loyal following that the Habs enjoy. Not even close. And to be honest, Im one of them! My Hawks come first and foremost, then its my Habs. I even have a few jersies (Roy and Koivu) as well as shirts (Richard and Dryden). Gotta love the Habs!

Old 11-28-2008, 06:48 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,218,456 times
I can agree with this

I'm a sharks loyalist - however, it's fun when montreal does well and I enjoy watching them do well - there is just something a little bit different a little bit mystical about habs hockey

Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,224 times
I think it would have to be Montreal. I think it was the Leafs for a long time, but they were just so mediocre for so long that it has died off. I think they sold out every game for many years in a row.

The Rangers have a large amount of loyal fans. I remember when the Avalanche had some great streak of sellouts as well.

I gotta say, even though I "hate" the Canadiens, it's cool how much history there is around them. I also like that they have a lot of French Canadians playing for them. If they don't win a Cup this year it will be the first decade they go without one since the 1900's. That's every decade since the league was formed. Ridiculous.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:31 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,404 times
Montreal Canadians, Detroit Red Wings, New York Rangers, Chicago Blackhawks, Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins, Hershey Bears, and Fort Wayne Komets have the most passionate, loyal, and tradition rich following in hockey.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:39 PM

532 posts, read 1,567,650 times
Habs, then distant second of maybe the avs, then the rest.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:47 AM

166 posts, read 705,344 times
Having been to a Canadiens game in Montreal, I can tell you that those people are fanatic to the extreme. Even though the Canadiens were losing in the third period, nobody and I mean nobody got up and left. Everyone stayed until the end. I've never seen anything like it. Of course, it's also a very loud crowd.

Having been to all the NHL arenas in the Northeast plus Montreal and Toronto, if I had to rank the fans in terms of crowd noise and number of people really paying attention to the game (as opposed to say talking on cell phones or getting up every ten minutes to get food/drinks), it would go like this:
1. Montreal
2. New York (Rangers)
3. Toronto
4. Boston
5. New Jersey
6. Philadelphia
7. New York (Islanders)

Old 12-10-2008, 03:31 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coem View Post
Having been to a Canadiens game in Montreal, I can tell you that those people are fanatic to the extreme. Even though the Canadiens were losing in the third period, nobody and I mean nobody got up and left. Everyone stayed until the end. I've never seen anything like it. Of course, it's also a very loud crowd.

Having been to all the NHL arenas in the Northeast plus Montreal and Toronto, if I had to rank the fans in terms of crowd noise and number of people really paying attention to the game (as opposed to say talking on cell phones or getting up every ten minutes to get food/drinks), it would go like this:
1. Montreal
2. New York (Rangers)
3. Toronto
4. Boston
5. New Jersey
6. Philadelphia
7. New York (Islanders)
I find it hard to believe that you do not have Detroit and Colorado on your list!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:01 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,218,456 times
when you look at the geographic region of those teams and the fact he specifically stated in the Northeast i'm not at all shocked that an upper midwest and a rocky mountain region team didn't get rated..........

i would absolutely disagree about having NJ ahead of philly though - NJ is a place where philly fans go to watch the flyers for cheap

Old 12-11-2008, 12:09 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,069 times
It's cool that no one tried to answer the question saying "Montreal has the best fans" (or not) since that was not what I asked and that would be a lot more of an opinion than a probable fact that my original question asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey