Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:19 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
The goal that OV scored last night was sick.

I guarantee if all of the league GM's were polled on which player they would choose to start their franchise, the leader would be OV.

No knock on PD, but he might not be in the top 3.
let me guess, you're a Millenial and watch lots of espn sportscenter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 08:06 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
No primping prima donnas for Detroit. Ken Holland and Mike Babcock wouldn't stand for it. And, oh, yeah, they make the decisions for the defending Stanley Cup champions;..... guess they know what they're doing!

Huh?
Look, no disrespect ot Datsyuk, but Ovie is the best player in the game. I know that folks from Detroit think that they are the center of the hockey world, but give it a rest.

BTW, is there another player in the game today that is as talented and physical?

Old 04-25-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
let me guess, you're a Millenial and watch lots of espn sportscenter.
Gee, nice attempt.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:41 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
Quote:
I know that folks from Detroit think that they are the center of the hockey world, but give it a rest.
Evidently, we know hockey better than we know cars! Now if we can just keep those those Southern senators out of the Joe!

Old 04-26-2009, 07:25 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Huh?
Look, no disrespect ot Datsyuk, but Ovie is the best player in the game. I know that folks from Detroit think that they are the center of the hockey world, but give it a rest.

BTW, is there another player in the game today that is as talented and physical?
Ovie is the best because you say so? That's a very convincing argument. Please forgive us for not bowing to your superior wisdom quickly enough.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:33 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Still in Pittsburgh and gotta stay loyal to Sid the Kid and Malkin

Old 04-27-2009, 02:09 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Alex O. is the best in the game, after that Crosby, Malkin, Datusyk and Lindstrom are anywhere from 2 to 5.
It's a shame, as far as lack of North American talent shows though, that all are Europeans except for Sidney.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:28 AM

Hey genius, this is an internet forum and I am stating my informed opinion.
BTW, I am not a Caps fan, so I have no skin in the game.
Now, for you and the other Datsyuk fans, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Ovie is the best because you say so? That's a very convincing argument. Please forgive us for not bowing to your superior wisdom quickly enough.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 AM

81 posts, read 194,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
but there's 2 sides to the puck, Ovie's had 2 times as many scoring chances and Pavel isn't far behind in points but look at thier plus/minus....

he only won the Selke last year. So who's the most *complete*, best all around player in the league?

he's also on the number one PK unit for his team. Is ovie?

he takes more shifts per game and his faceoff percent is over TWICE that of Ovies.

Pavel Datsyuk is the most complete player in the game.
Ovechkins first year was a terrible caps team where the next highest point total was almost half of what he got. As a 21 year old rookie, Datsuyk put up a third the number of points on a stanley cup winning team. Granted he was much lower on the depth charts, for AO to put up 5 times as many goals and twice the point totals on a worse team at the same age speaks volumes regarding both of their talents.

also, I sincerely doubt PD playes twice as much as AO. As I recall, the best D men get roughly 30 minutes of play time, and forwards probably closer to 20 minutes. There is no way ovechkin plays 40 minutes per game.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:28 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangles View Post
Ovechkins first year was a terrible caps team where the next highest point total was almost half of what he got. As a 21 year old rookie, Datsuyk put up a third the number of points on a stanley cup winning team. Granted he was much lower on the depth charts, for AO to put up 5 times as many goals and twice the point totals on a worse team at the same age speaks volumes regarding both of their talents.

also, I sincerely doubt PD playes twice as much as AO. As I recall, the best D men get roughly 30 minutes of play time, and forwards probably closer to 20 minutes. There is no way ovechkin plays 40 minutes per game.
It's useless to compare their first years. PD played for the Wings in his first year. Have you seen the list of players that were on that team. If AO started on that team he would have been on the 4th line if not a healthy scratch.

Right now, PD is better. AO is more flash and excitement, PD is pure skill.

As to your second paragraph: the other poster did not say that PD plays twice as much as AO, nor did they say AO plays twice as much as PD. Where did you get that from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey