Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:24 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

In the SW here, ceramic tile floors are omnipresent. Now that's something I'd never do (I'm only doing a small bathroom with porcelin tile) is second-guess the next buyer and put ceramic tile down. If you don't like the color, then what? Cover it over with carpet? What a job to remove all that tile and start all over again!

I had my eyes on a nice spacious townhouse sometime ago, the whole entire first floor was tiled in an earthy/neutral color I couldn't live with. At least by using Armstrong commercial tile, it will be far easier to remove, by the next buyer, than ceramic tile.

I colored my house and garage some 6-7 years ago and I've never regretted it for a minute. My garage just glows with multi-colors and it's inviting enough to where you actually want to spend some time out there. Just to raise the garage door after work, what a nice colorful way to end a workday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 04:18 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
How many out there are beginning to realize, with the dismal prospects for the housing market to recover any time soon/maybe never, that we may end up being prisoners in our houses for years to come, and with that in mind, how many are now throwing caution to the wind, remodeling their houses without saleability in mind?

On a previous thread, I was the one with the multi-colored walls inside my house, but now I'm going to throw all caution to the wind and start on the floors now.

Recently bought some bright orange porcelin tile, with lipstick red grout, for my downstairs bathroom. Should look great with my burnt orange walls.

Next stop: bright yellow formica kitchen counters, always wanted them.

Next stop: the kitchen/dining room floors. Currently looking at some Armstrong solid color commercial tile. Some shade of yellow with the yellow countertops, would that be too much?

Who else is plugging their ears to a potential real estate agent who might say: If you do all this, I'll list this place for demolition value!
I can see some of those colors working in Las Vegas. Seriously (except for the red grout and the burnt orange with the orange if you're talking about a true burnt orange with a true orange). Could be very "mid-century". Have you ever seen places in Miami? What works there wouldn't work in Houston. Etc. Just don't overdo or you'll never be able to fall asleep at night. Too much of a good thing can be too much. Also - if you're a guy - make sure you're not colorblind before you pick colors. Seriously. Guys tend to be colorblind much more often than women. My husband is somewhat colorblind - and can't tell blue from green from turquoise. He'd probably do a navy blue floor with teal walls - and not notice there's a problem .

My husband and I tend to live in places for a pretty long time (usually 10 years - but we've been in this place for 15). And you know what - we don't only decorate for ourselves - we even did the floorplan for our currrent house (we built a custom house) for us and our lifestyle. Not for the "average" potential buyer of our house down the road. So I say go for it - assuming you have decent taste and aren't colorblind. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating