Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 PM

205 posts, read 692,998 times

Advertisements

What do you think about this idea? I've been toying around with various ideas on how to make my dining room "different" but not "EEEK different". I've seen some nice photos online of rooms with ceilings painted a color other than white (blue and goldish/yellow) and thought they looked nice.

Any thoughts, and what wall colors would you use? I am thinking taupe.

Look forward to reading your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Most of the ceilings in our house are painted something other than white. I love how it looks. Most are a couple shades lighter then the wall color but in our dining room we have an evergreen color on our walls and taupe ceilings. If you go with two different colors you just need to make sure they have the same base tones (blue, yellow, etc. ) or it will not look right.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:47 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Be very careful...

...even in homes with very high ceilings I have seen folks use too saturated / deep a color and it sucks the room down to nothing.

Go very very very subtle , if you think the tint is "too little" wait until it is upmand dries and then MAYBE you can add a second coat. Ceilings are tricky!

Old 10-20-2010, 06:51 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Most of the ceilings in our house are painted something other than white. I love how it looks. Most are a couple shades lighter then the wall color
Us too! To us, a white ceiling just looks unfinished...

We do have one that is not just a lighter shade on the strip.
Out living room has walls that are BM Spoonful of Sugar and a ceiling of BM Wilmington Tan.
We get many compliments on it.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:21 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Actually, very dark or even black can have a very dramatic effect-

As you can see very dark/black can have an effect of soaring ceilings- as if no ceiling existed.
Ceilings get ignored- period. Most people toil over what color to paint the walls, or which wall should be the accent and what color that accent should be. As it turns out, the walls are covered with a coat of paint and the ceiling remains… white, and generally not painted (because it's such a pain-in-the-neck; pardon the pun!). Considering the norm is white/off-white there's no reason to stray- at least for the masses. But every so often I have run across the right situation that calls for something other than the norm.
It's not for everybody- and it's not an easy sell. In fact, most people wouldn’t want to deviate away from the white ceiling. It is not because they didn’t have the ceiling heights or imagination to go for it, but rather they are simply accustomed to the norm and never considered the ceiling as “The 5th Wall.”

Old 10-20-2010, 07:35 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
Oh I LOVE those dark ceilings. I've got an old house with smallish rooms and ceilings about 8 ft 9 inches and that might look great in here.

op, if you can get some samples of the colors and see if you like them before committing. I think color is great and I love a house with some warmth and personality. I've got swatches of colors currently up on the walls next to the trim to see what I think looks good together and with the wood trim.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:34 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times
You could have a cool finish done with blue plaster, maybe a layer of silver or dark grey with a pale blue.
We had this done to our dining room ceiling and had sort of a copper look done. It looks very cool.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:36 PM

24 posts, read 61,107 times
Blue would give the sense of being outdoors under the sky.

That would be interesting, as I think there's likely something very deep and innate in us that recognizes a blue sky as something special.

I've considered it myself, though I never carried through with it, and ended up defaulting to plain white ceilings. Everyone that I presented the idea to thought that it would be 'too much', and would kill the room.

Seeing the photos provided in this post, I realize that darker ceilings shouldn't be taboo. Those interiors really do work well! Maybe white ceilings are just a tired convention?

Old 10-21-2010, 07:26 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandraNY View Post
Maybe white ceilings are just a tired convention?

Kindda!
Historically speaking, white ceilings are a by-product of plaster walls and ceilings. Since plaster was white to begin with. And it also had a little to do with no artifical light (before electricity). In order to produce the most abundant amount of light with candles, and/or oil lamps- you needed a reflective ceiling to bounce the light.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:26 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
It will probably look nice, and the best part of paint is, that if you really just absolutely hate it, just paint it over.

My Aunt painted inside her tray ceiling in the bathroom powder blue with white for a cloud effect, it actually looked like a giant hole in the ceiling and seeing the clouds above...It was creative and kinda looked good.

Our ceilings in the whole apartment are a taupe'e blushy color, and each room has a different color and it all matches.
I like it much better than stark white, and besides white doesn't always match everything.....

The dark ceilings in the pictures look nice as well.
I think the concept of the white ceilings are so old fashioned and way outdated already.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating