Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that what someone hangs over their bed is a true expression of themselves. My wall is blank. LOL! I just got done putting the room together furniture wise and now on to the task of adding artwork and accessories. Nothing has really jumped out at me so far and now I am thinking that statement is true. I have thought about finding various vintage picture frames and hanging them or a collection of mirrors. I dunno, seems kind of boring when I think about it.

So what do you have hanging over your bed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 10:49 PM

61,703 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Most people have mirror or picture hanging over the bed. A decorative wallpaper, art decal stickers, decorative wall panels are other options.
A picture of your bedroom would help to get the right idea...

Last edited by elnina; 03-07-2011 at 11:03 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 11:02 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I've had lots of things over the years and at the moment don't need anything since I have a rather elaborate headboard that doesn't require enhancement. But one of my favorite things I ever used was an antique quilt that I hung on the wall behind a traditional (and rather austere-looking) metal bed.

The c. 1910 quilt (from Indiana) -- a geometric design with navy, taupe, and raspberry being the dominant colors -- made such a statement that I didn't think the room needed much else in the way of artwork. I painted the walls of the room a taupe I picked up from the quilt and I had a raspberry area rug centered on the hardwood floor. I also had a large antique dresser in the room, a beveled glass mirror hung above it and a pair of old square trunks standing in for bedside tables.

I prefer to have my bed made up with white linens and that crisp look really worked with the navy and taupe. Those are kind of strong colors for a bedroom, but I think wall-hung quilts look nice in any color theme. To my taste, I always would prefer one large quilt to several smaller ones. I like to draw attention to dominant artworks, rather than hanging a bevy of competing ones.

Quilts aren't hard to hang. There are even wooden quilt holders sold expressly for the purpose that can clamp onto an edge of the quilt. You then hang the holder and the quilt remains completely undamaged.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
I have a curved ceiling above our bed and a tall headboard so I have nothing over the bed. I also have a bed of beautiful linens like Jukesgrrl so I don't really miss the art and the space is really too narrow for anything - maybe a collection of green antique majolica plates might look nice though. I have lots of art on other walls in that room.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:47 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I read somewhere that what someone hangs over their bed is a true expression of themselves.
Can't hang anything over my bed.... there's a window there!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
This small quilt I had made to match my room.
Attached Thumbnails
What did you hang over your bed?-quilt-hanging1.jpg  

Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
LOL. We've got a pirate flag over ours!!! ROFL. And no, we're not teens or twenty somethings. We're 39 and 50. LOL. Just huge fans of Key West and the old Wreckers and pirates. Next to the pirate flag is a Conch Republic flag. I'm sure some day we'll grow up. Maybe........

Old 03-08-2011, 11:06 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times
Nothing! We have a very tall king size bed, the headboard take up most the space, leaves about two feet of empty space, the walls are 9ft tall...... I never really put things over the bed, but we lived in Cali...

Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 AM

178 posts, read 444,397 times
I saw a great photo a few weeks ago, of two old doors behind a bed. It looked really nice, and took up a lot of space. Framed the bed nicely, too.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:19 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
I have a really weird wall behind the bed, with windows and very deep sills......I have a custom camel-back headboard which is 5' at the apogee, and then I have an antique coat of arms hanging above the headboard, thats about all that would fit without looking contrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating