Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:50 PM

12 posts, read 29,294 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I'm new here and we are starting a massive kitchen remodel so I have a lot of questions!

We plan to have a 6ft by 6ft island. We are going to put a gas cook top in the island with a canopy hood over it. We can't decide if we should go with a 30 inch cook top or a 36 inch cook top. We like the kitchenAid one and both sizes have 5 burners.

Any advice?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 09:01 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,548,200 times
That sounds like a pretty big island. Can you reach all parts of it to clean it? I saw some in new construction and I know I could not reach the middle of it. Food for thought.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:59 AM

Yes. I did think about how big it would be. I am only 5ft 4. With an island that size I can have a cook top in it and hopefully 3 chairs on 2 sides for a total of 6 chairs (we have 6 people in our family).

I could make it smaller. Right now though, there's 4ft of space around 3 sides and only 3 ft of space on the one side. I could make it more rectangular?

Anyone have an island with a hood? How do you like it?

Old 06-24-2011, 07:56 PM

63 posts, read 129,300 times
Sorry, but I think putting a stove on the island is a bad idea, especially then adding a hood over it. It is the middle of your kitchen, just envisioning it makes me feel enclosed. The center of your kitchen is where people gather and with six people in your family standing around your island making dinner and talking with a hood in the way??? Does not sound right? Go to a nice furniture/appliance store or interior designer/architect and get some ideas of traffic flow and usage patterns. Hard to see without knowing the whole layout and design, but does not sound good to me.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:16 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inciteful View Post
Sorry, but I think putting a stove on the island is a bad idea, especially then adding a hood over it. It is the middle of your kitchen, just envisioning it makes me feel enclosed. The center of your kitchen is where people gather and with six people in your family standing around your island making dinner and talking with a hood in the way??? Does not sound right? Go to a nice furniture/appliance store or interior designer/architect and get some ideas of traffic flow and usage patterns. Hard to see without knowing the whole layout and design, but does not sound good to me.
I like what Inciteful has to say. Listen to her. I'm agreeing with her/him and I am a Kitchen Designer.

I shutter to think your kitchen was designed by an Architect or worse, you the homeowner. You didn't say if it's a new home. If so I have to tell you to DO NOT let the Architect design your kitchen. Architects do not design kitchens, they design building structures and know almost zero about properly designing a kitchen. They like to think they do. Your completed kitchen can be drop dead gorgeous but if you have to trip over the oven open door to get to the range or close the fridge door to get to the sink then what good is it?

I don't mind the 6' square island if it works. Most of us shorties can reach the center of it to clean etc so that's not much of an issue. I am guessing because I have not seen your layout but I'd like to see a nice cantilevered overhang on 1, 2 or 3 sides.

Good luck...................

Old 06-25-2011, 04:00 PM

Thanks for all the opinions.

My kitchen was designed by a kitchen designer. I am using an architect to draw up plans to knock down the 17ft load bearing wall that separates the kitchen from the living room. We are going to have a space that is 50 ft by 30 ft when all is said and done.

Behind the island cook top is a wall oven. Next to that is the refrigerator and to the right of the cooktop on the wall is the sink. There's four feet of space around the island.

The island is going to have 3 posts because one side is going to have a 15 inch overhang and an adjacent side is going to have a 12 inch overhang.

So does anyone have an opinion on a 30 inch vs. 36 inch cook top?

Old 06-25-2011, 04:17 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,350,868 times
Could you post (or link to) pictures of the 2 cooktop choices?

Old 06-25-2011, 04:41 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown_remodel View Post
So does anyone have an opinion on a 30 inch vs. 36 inch cook top?

It basically boils down to this-
Do you want 4 burners? Or, do you want 5?

That's really the only difference between the two.
Most important- make it GAS!

Old 06-25-2011, 05:14 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,855 times
Go with the 36" cooktop. IMO, 36" looks more high-end and less dinky than 30".
Post pictures when you get your kitchen done. I'll bet it's going to be really great!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
A cook top in a center island would be a sale killer for me looking at houses--ESPECIALLY with kids around. I don't like the idea of a vent hood hanging over the island either. If you insist on doing the center island cooktop-get a downdraft. Put a prep sink in a corner of the island and put the cooktop elsewhere.

As for size, go larger. People alway will wish they had more room on a cooktop but never less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating