Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:01 AM

146 posts, read 295,145 times

Advertisements

I see this all the time of home decorating television programs....buying an older piece of furniture and having it painted in a great finish, brighter and fresh color and making it look like an entirely different piece. Most of the time the repainted furniture looks wonderful.

They occasionally show a quick shot or two of the process, and it's being done in a shop with an industrial type spray paint apparatus. What type of places do this work? I need to know where to start looking in my community to have some older furniture pieces painted.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 08:26 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
My only furniture painting experience is a set of dining room chairs and a pie safe. The pie safe was painted with a good quality oil enamel, and the chairs with a latex enamel. I can tell you that, despite the more difficult cleanup, the oil paint left no brushmarks, looked very professional, and was less likely to chip.
This was several years ago, so I bet there is a product in latex which is make for furniture, so ask a good paint store. I'm sure I do not need to tell you that your surface must be sanded and free of any oil or dirt buildup before you start.
I used a brush, not a spray. I do not like not being able to precisely control the flow of paint.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:20 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,086,574 times
I have painted a couple of pieces with success. I'm no expert mind you, but when you're talking about a piece that would look better off in the trash or something you got for free who cares?

First thing I do is use liquid sander and a cloth on the furniture.

Then I use a paint primer like "Gripper"

Then I paint with a enamel latex paint with a roller brush. I have done edges and places that won't work with a roller with a brush. I recently saw someone using those foam craft type brushes and I think I'll use those next time instead of a brush. I have also just used spray paint! Works great.

I have purchased from polycrylic to put on top of the paint job, but so far I haven't had the patience for that. I figure if it chips I can spray paint it again.

If you're paying a lot of money for a piece then I'd probably want it professionally done. But for the most part the stuff I'm seeing is DIY cheap finds and fix ups.

Adding pictures of a table I found on the side of the road

Before (not bad really, but I wanted to practice my painting something)

Primed

Finished

Last edited by KellyCrash; 09-27-2011 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: adding pictures

Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 PM

Kellycrash - Love what you did to that little table!

I would tackle something small but I have a larger cabinet that will require more skill/time/etc than I personally have. I'm looking for the right kind of company to do this. I've called local paint stores with no luck. I don't know what sort of company to look for in the yellow pages (or internet searches).

Old 09-27-2011, 07:10 PM

Do you have any unfinished furniture stores in your area? We have a store called Mill Stores. They sell unfinished furniture you can buy and finish yourself for an extra fee. Perhaps they know of someone that could help you?

Old 09-28-2011, 05:54 AM

Just reread my last post and the "edit option" is gone.

Mill stores can finish their unfinished furniture for you for an extra fee.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Autobody shop. That's where I'd start inquiring.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:37 AM

Hopes - I've already tried autobody shops....about 6, in fact. I started with some big ones, they referred me to some smaller shops, and all of them said they have enough work doing cars, they didn't need extra business.

I'm just perplexed....there are several HGTV shows where I've seen this work done. The companies doing the work seem like they are specifically set up to paint furniture, because you always see the piece they are working on but in the background you see tons and tons of furniture pieces lined up, some in process of being painted, some waiting to be painted.

Just had an idea! I'm going to call an upholsterer and see if they have any thoughts!

Old 09-29-2011, 09:13 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Most larger towns will have a furniture refinishing company or two. Often the better quality furniture stores will have a list of folks that have done repairs / touch-ups for customers.

When you buy a new piece of furniture that is painted the finish is usually a lacquer based finish with at least a layer or two of clear coat to lock-in the color. The risk that using other than a food safe furniture grade top coat is simple-- normal household cleaners can remove color and/ or lead to unsafe leaching / out gassing...

Old 09-29-2011, 02:25 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,409,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar View Post
I see this all the time of home decorating television programs....buying an older piece of furniture and having it painted in a great finish, brighter and fresh color and making it look like an entirely different piece. Most of the time the repainted furniture looks wonderful.

They occasionally show a quick shot or two of the process, and it's being done in a shop with an industrial type spray paint apparatus. What type of places do this work? I need to know where to start looking in my community to have some older furniture pieces painted.

Thanks.
Yep repainting furniture yourself (properly) can be difficult. To get the job to last you'll need to remove and sand the old finish and prime and repaint. In Baltimore, there's a company that strips paint from furniture, doors molding etc. The company also will refinish with the finish of your choice after stripping. You can try looking for "paint stripping" or "paint removal."

I would suggest looking for a place that does paint removal and ask if they offer refinishing if you can't find a listing for "refinisher" online or in the yellow pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating