Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:13 PM

169 posts, read 1,489,624 times

Advertisements

My painter told us today that he is gonna spray paint the entire ceiling and walls in large rooms. I do not have much idea about the painting techniques. Can someone tell me which one is better and why?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 06:24 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
A good painter who knows how to use a spray gun can spray an entire 1500 SF home in 4 hours, add 3 hours for tape and prep. It would take 3 days using a roller.

If you spray you will have to get out of the house and take some of your furniture with you. In some cases you can condense your furniture into a pile in the middle of the room and cover it up. If you roll all this furniture will be in the way but might not if you spray.

If you want to do your entire house like you are suggesting, I advise you to do a couple rooms at a time. This way you could stay in the house and stack the furniture in extra rooms. This leaves a couple rooms free and empty for the painters to do whatever method is cheaper. Painters charge extra for moving your furniture around and having to crawl around it.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:36 PM

169 posts, read 1,489,624 times
Thank you so much for your advise. The house is empty as we do not plan to move untill all the remodeling projects are done.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:15 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusam View Post
Thank you so much for your advise. The house is empty as we do not plan to move untill all the remodeling projects are done.
Ok then since the house is empty then have them spray. No question there. It will come out better too.

Good luck in the new home.......

Old 02-12-2009, 07:47 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,349,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusam View Post
My painter told us today that he is gonna spray paint the entire ceiling and walls in large rooms. I do not have much idea about the painting techniques. Can someone tell me which one is better and why?

Thanks

I think there is more to it than the time involved. Even though, I had professionals paint my home and it only took them 4 days and I had a 5500 sq ft home. So, I think a lot will depend on the actual painters and how many people they have working on your home.

Both require skill, but I think spraying takes more than average skill. And I was using some expensive paint, so I much preferred rollers.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:06 AM

4 posts, read 171,703 times
Default painting advice

Sprayers are more often used on exterior, when inside be sure all floors, windows and furniture are properly protected as spraying usaully produces "overspray" which can be a problem especially when inside. Any top end painting company would brush and roll interior. Spraying is the easy and cheap way out. For exteriors it is much more acceptable and normal to use a sprayer.

Hope this was helpful.

Mod Cut Advertising

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-16-2009 at 04:43 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 11:04 AM

8 posts, read 170,682 times
I think it is your decision. Please check out www.atlaspainting.com

Old 06-14-2009, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 157,483 times
i have been painting off and on for 30yrs have sprayed texture on ceilings can anyone advise me on new home spray painting how tequnics excusse my spelling''''' start a new job tomorow any advise would be greatly appreceated

Old 06-14-2009, 12:40 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,737,328 times
Default You need to know the details.......

In general spray painting will give the superior job. The concern in an interior job is any over spray or ability to get paint atomized and airborne. Can make huge mess if done wrong. Paint can wind up in the wrong places.

If they use something like electrostatic designed spray equipment then those concerns are mimimal. Most quality painting companies probably do if doing large interior surfaces. The surfaces and paint receive an electrical charge and it gives a far superior job, very uniform coat thickness, virtually no over spray or stray paint in unwanted places. No real need to do a lot of masking or prep work. Some spray equipment can be hose fed, they can move lots of paint quick.

Should beat a roller system using a pan but there are also various designs to roller systems. Some roller systems are powered with a pump and hose and are very fast. The details count a lot, type of surfaces involved, oil or latex. Most good systems can feed paint right out large buckets or whatever via hoses. They are designed for speed, lots of production from a single painter, superior results. Some roller systems might also use the electrostatic type principles too.

In general the better painting contractors are not going to use DIY type equipment or methods. You have to fully understand what each uses and what the advantages are.

You always want the guy using the better mousetrap, he should also always have the better price, be able to do the job the quickest with the best results.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:05 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,976 times
gud luck with the spray painting job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating