Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,033,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Well, maybe a realtor can give you some ideas about the choices you should make to make it more saleable. The house I lived in in Lawrenceville had painted-over paneling, and I never liked it. For that reason, I'd probably go with your drywall idea. But I'm no expert, just a crotchety old person who hates that kind of paneling. How quickly do you think you could get the old stuff down and the new stuff up?
Oh, I don't know. I'm not handy at all. I'd probably have to hire a contractor, which is why I'm not automatically choosing that route. I don't want to lose money when I sell the house because I spent more than it was worth (although by not paying rent for two years so far, I'll probably have made anything I lose back in savings).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Oh, I don't know. I'm not handy at all. I'd probably have to hire a contractor, which is why I'm not automatically choosing that route. I don't want to lose money when I sell the house because I spent more than it was worth (although by not paying rent for two years so far, I'll probably have made anything I lose back in savings).
I'm not either. I so didn't get the home improvement gene.

Do you think it would make sense to paint the LR in a non-neutral color, i.e., something that complements the carpeting? What color is the carpeting? It looks like a dark olive green from here.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I'm not either. I so didn't get the home improvement gene.

Do you think it would make sense to paint the LR in a non-neutral color, i.e., something that complements the carpeting? What color is the carpeting? It looks like a dark olive green from here.
Yeah, the carpet is some shade of dark green. Probably Dark Olive (no promises, though. I'm color-blind, which is probably a good thing when you have green carpet). But the carpet is definitely going to be replaced. I just want to fix the walls and ceiling before I replace the flooring. I don't want to get paint or dust on the new carpet. The room is so dark (only one window) and small that I think a very light color would be the best bet.

What do you guys think about a pink kitchen? Would that be too much?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 PM

1,738 posts, read 845,523 times
#1 all the way! IMO- it will make a BIG difference without totally breaking the bank. And yeah- go pure white on the panelling. It will brighten the room and anything else will make it look dingy. I painted old wood panelling white before and it made an incredible difference. I actually LIKED it afterward! Any way you could afford to just drywall the ceiling and leave the panelling up? It would save money and metal ceilings are probably even more expensive than drywall, aren't they? Then you'll need to put a little trim around the edges of the ceiling where the drywall and panelling meet, but it would look pretty good, I think. You can also drywall right over the panelling. Cheaper (and easier) than removal of it and it works just fine. I did that to another entire house before and it worked great (though in the words and voice of Scarlett O'Hara, "As God is my witness-- Ah'll nevah" {evah, EVAH!!!} drywall a whole house myself again!) Good luck and post after pics, please!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
What do you guys think about a pink kitchen? Would that be too much?
Well... it's very "taste specific"...

Last edited by js1mom; 11-04-2011 at 11:49 PM..

Old 11-05-2011, 12:00 AM

461 posts, read 748,598 times
I'm with Jay - I couldn't live with that room. I applaud you 100% for buying in a non-trendy neighborhood and fixing a modest house; it deserves to have that horrible paneling, drop ceiling, and carpeting removed. I'm still in Philly and do not know an Pittsburgh contractors, but I really don't think that you would regret the decision to put the room to rights, esp since you put in the nice old windows. I suggest getting some buddies to help you remove the ceiling and panelling; then spackle and paint as you need to. I've had several rooms in previous houses with this crap, and underneath the walls and ceiling were not in bad shape at all!

As for the carpeted floor, I've painted wood floors and they look pretty nice, so if you don't really want carpet, you could save some money that way.

e

Old 11-05-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
I'm with Jay - I couldn't live with that room. I applaud you 100% for buying in a non-trendy neighborhood and fixing a modest house; it deserves to have that horrible paneling, drop ceiling, and carpeting removed. I'm still in Philly and do not know an Pittsburgh contractors, but I really don't think that you would regret the decision to put the room to rights, esp since you put in the nice old windows. I suggest getting some buddies to help you remove the ceiling and panelling; then spackle and paint as you need to. I've had several rooms in previous houses with this crap, and underneath the walls and ceiling were not in bad shape at all!

As for the carpeted floor, I've painted wood floors and they look pretty nice, so if you don't really want carpet, you could save some money that way.

e
Yeah, but if the walls are plaster underneath-- when you go to remove the panelling (which I'll guarantee you was glued on as the small panelling nails won't hold it up)---holy moley!!! Be ready for one HECK of a mess... That's why I say leave it on and drywall over it with 1/4". Less hassle, mess, cost, and chance of "issues".

Old 11-05-2011, 12:26 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,348 times
I'd go for option 2 and change the flooring if you can...do you think you might have hardwood under that carpet? That might be a blessing in disguise if you do...

Old 11-05-2011, 12:46 AM

20 posts, read 40,855 times
If you paint it, here's an idea: whatever color you use in matte finish, for the second coat, paint every other panel with the same color in a semi-gloss/satin finish; it will add interest (as if it is an expensive satin wallpaper), plus it will reflect even more light throughout the room.

What style do you aspire to for the finished room? What furnishings will be in there? How much light gets in there and at what times? I ask because there are so many different approaches and colors that depend on the answers. If possible, post a few more recent photos, with various angles and lighting (day, overhead lights, lamps).

I love this kind of thing - I am an urban pioneer myself (right now in New York, but like so many others I'm planning a move to Pittsburgh this Spring, so I'm looking for a livable rehab as well).

Pink kitchens can be great (I had one in my first apartment long ago and loved it), but again, it depends on what you're working with. Can you post some pics? Here are some different pinks:

http://www.homeinteriorgallery.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Picture-pink-kitchen-interior-at-the-table.jpg (broken link)

My pink kitchen was like the first one - I started with an old white kitchen (white metal cabinets and white appliances), so it was an easy transition (and it already had the black and white floor). I even painted the old refrigerator, same as the pic. Are any of these the type of pink kitchen you had in mind?

Old 11-05-2011, 01:25 AM

This is exactly what I had in mind, in terms of the color and vintage feel. My kitchen has a beautiful white porcelain sink that is original to the house from 1906, and lovely built-in cabinets. I think that color, and the chic black accents like in the picture, would give the kitchen a great retro look. Since the room is small, and because of the back addition and no side windows (it's a row-house) there is little light coming in, I need to go with a light/pastel color. There is an overhead globe-style light from the '30s. I just didn't want to go with something as boring as white. I was also considering light aqua, coral, or seafoam green, which are fun retro colors. Pink seems to have more zest for a kitchen, though.

I will have to take more pictures of my kitchen. I want to take some of the walls so you all can see the plaster issues I am dealing with.

As you can see on the patch of wall above the sink where a mirror used to be, the kitchen was once painted a soft pink.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/24734_791819021388_21709059_44055159_5964051_n.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating