Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 12:41 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times

Advertisements

DIY is no fun with this-please help!. I ave a huge sliding glass door leads to backyard deck. To update I got rid of drapes and bought the vertical shades/blinds (yes they are a pain but look more modern)....Now, the metal brackets are supposed to hold this HUGE rod going across- yet they are so weak it keeps falling.....

Any suggestions? Not sure what else I can put to cover the door and make it look updated....Thanks in advance for any ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 12:42 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Ummm....get some heavier brackets from the blind manfacturer, reinforce the ones you have, or add more brackets.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:56 PM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times
Is it the brackets that are failing or the wall? Make sure you are bolting them into a stud and not just into sheet rock. I second Bob...talk to the manufacturer.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:22 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Use wall anchors to secure the brackets.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:24 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
The studs are plastic-dont seem to be strong enough- I will have to buy better brackets, thanks...

Old 12-13-2011, 11:08 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
The studs are plastic-dont seem to be strong enough- I will have to buy better brackets, thanks...
The studs are plastic? What kind of house do you live in?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:07 AM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times
Quote:
Do you live in the Barbie Dream House? Otherwise, there is no way that your wall studs are plastic. That wouldn't be much good for you in the case of a fire. The studs would melt and your house would collapse in a matter of seconds.

This is a good explanation of the parts of a stud wall (what is behind your sheet rock): Stud Wall Nomenclature

Around a window or door, you have wall framing that is made of wood. You can mount your window treatments to the framing which is sturdier than mounting them to sheet rock with anchors.

Now if you have plaster walls. That is an entirely different story. They are built differently than a regular stud wall. http://www.homeimprovementsdepot.com...nding-methods/

Old 12-18-2011, 10:32 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
I usually tap a nail in to see if there's a stud in the wall. If not, I use a plaster anchor, which usually come supplied with the hardware for the blinds. For a slider, there should be three if not four brackets holding up the headrail.

I have a slider leading to a deck, too. When I moved in, it had crappy old almond-colored vinyl vertical blinds on it. When I got the kitchen re-done, I didn't want verticals (so 80's). I used two 36"-wide pleated shades that I got at Lowe's and installed myself. Pleated shades are kind of 80's, too, but the solar or wooden shades didn't provide enough privacy. They're attached to the wooden frame around the door. I installed them as close together as possible, so the opening in the middle is hardly visible. They're 64" long, so they don't quite go to the floor, but that's OK, no one's going to be (hopefully) looking underneath them. They look clean and contemporary, but I'm not crazy about them....maybe have to go back to verticals. Sliders are tough to deal with, without going custom.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:04 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
DIY is no fun with this-please help!. I ave a huge sliding glass door leads to backyard deck. To update I got rid of drapes and bought the vertical shades/blinds (yes they are a pain but look more modern)....Now, the metal brackets are supposed to hold this HUGE rod going across- yet they are so weak it keeps falling.....

Any suggestions? Not sure what else I can put to cover the door and make it look updated....Thanks in advance for any ideas
I think you would be better off getting new drapes. Vertical blinds are not updated, they are outdated. Modern drapes would be much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating