Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 18,444 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am in need of advice and after coming across this very supportive forum, I thought I would give it a go. I am having an office painted and I would appreciate your thoughts.

The specifics: 2 exam rooms, size about 150 SqF. The cabinets are some type of green and the walls are pretty close to white.

What I would like to achieve: I would prefer a warmer, more comfortable appearance. Ideally, the wall with the door would be a darker color accent wall. This would allow me to use it as a backdrop for photos.

My questions: Does anyone think I can make a Mocha colored accent wall work with 3 lighter colored walls and green cabinets? Any additional / alternative color combinations would be appreciated.

The walls are much closer to a true white then they appear in the photographs. The color samples are not true to color either, but convey the point.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with Wall Colors-dsc_0015.jpg   Help with Wall Colors-dsc_0003.jpg   Help with Wall Colors-dsc_0008.jpg   Help with Wall Colors-dark1.jpg   Help with Wall Colors-mini1.jpg  

Help with Wall Colors-min3.jpg   Help with Wall Colors-cream.jpg   Help with Wall Colors-cream2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 09:47 PM

4 posts, read 13,067 times
I understand what you're going for with the darker accent wall but IMHO the space is too tight for an accent wall. I think you and your patients would love it with all the walls one color. Do all the walls in the Toasted Walnut and the ceiling in the Mocha. Please don't leave the ceiling white. You'll love it!
LK

Old 01-07-2012, 10:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
Mightn't walnut and mocha have too much gray in them to achieve a warm effect? I'd go for something in a golden tone. But I do like Kashmere's idea of a deeper ceiling color rather than putting it on a focal wall. I agree the room is too small for a focal wall. And if your patients ever have to lie down, they might like looking at a color!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:37 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,536 times
I think light gray should be your regular paint color, choose it from the green spectrum in a color wheel. Then I think you could use a medium brown as your accent color, also near the green in the color wheel. I had to choose a light blue for a room next to the green in my living room, so I got one with a little green in it, and it didn't jolt me when I'd go thru the two rooms. Also, paint everything except the ceiling, and if the white looks okay, leave it becuz it will tend to brighten the room.

You could go to one of the paint brands online, they'll have a long bunch of colors to choose from, then when you pick one you like in the gray, put your pictures of the room up next to it and see if it looks good, and do the same with the brown. Of course, as you pointed out, computer colors wind up diff than real ones. I might add, you can get very small cans of paint, bring them to the office and put some swaths of it where they're going to go, at the bottom of the walls and where you can see the green cabinets nearby. Step back and look at it. Then you'll know how to adjust those colors, or get a couple gallons as-is.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:53 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
The cabinets look a bit dark so I think a light or even medium color would be nice on the walls. Maybe Mocha for the accent wall, and something similar but a couple shades lighter for the other walls. Perhaps the Sandstone Cove or Chocolate Froth. I'd avoid anything too dark because it might make some people feel a little nervous and claustrophobic.

Have fun figuring it all out!

Old 01-08-2012, 06:57 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
I would go more along the lines of a the chair color for the walls and then as another poster said a deeper color for the ceiling. I HATE dark doctors offices. You can always use darker toned frames for the photographs and art work or diplomas. JMO

Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 PM

3 posts, read 18,444 times
Thank you very much everyone for your insight. I hadn't even thought about the ceiling color, but after getting excited about it I saw that my ceiling cannot be painted. It isn't made our of drywall, but the plasterboard material that lifts up when you push on it to access the contents above.

Thank you again. I appreciated all of your advice.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12 View Post
Thank you very much everyone for your insight. I hadn't even thought about the ceiling color, but after getting excited about it I saw that my ceiling cannot be painted. It isn't made our of drywall, but the plasterboard material that lifts up when you push on it to access the contents above.

Don't be so sure you can't paint those ceiling tiles. I have seen it done. Also, there are many decorative ceiling tiles on the market, not sure what is avaliable for commercial use, but for residential use there are many on the market that can be painted.

I agree that I would go for a wall color similar to the chair color. It looks like that color is in the cabinets too (on my computer anyway). It will warm up the room tremendously.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 11,977 times
I like the concept of jukesgrrl..
You must go with golden tone..It look fabulous

Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12 View Post

The ceiling tiles can be taken out and sprayed.
I will echo some other posters advice about going warmer......I know I really feel uncomfortable in an exam room painted in cool colors.
I have done quite a few professional offices in the course of my career, the feedback I have gotten is that patients relax more in a room done in warm colors.
I wont bore you with a thesis on the psychology of color, but will instead suggest that the exam rooms be painted in a warm neutral, such as Sherwin Williams bagel SW6114.
I would go one shade lighter for the ceiling, Interactive Cream SW6113.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating