Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:06 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times

Advertisements

Do you know anyone that has actually won? I don't mean knowing them personally but maybe the news media besides HGTV covering it? I never enter sweepstakes but I have been entering this every year since 2002. But I have been entering maybe once a week up until this year. I have been entering every day. That is my dream to win that sweepstakes but I haven't heard of any actual people winning that are covered by any major or local news stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 12:18 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,903,717 times
I could be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure that every single family that has won one of the HGTV dream houses had to quickly sell it because they could not afford the taxes or maintenance on these large, elaborate (albeit beautiful) houses.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:24 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,359,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I could be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure that every single family that has won one of the HGTV dream houses had to quickly sell it because they could not afford the taxes or maintenance on these large, elaborate (albeit beautiful) houses.
Highly doubt it.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:34 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,903,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Highly doubt it.
OK, it appears that one family actually kept it for eight years, one family nearly went broke by trying to keep it for four, and the rest quickly sold.

HGTV 'Dream Home' winners say they can't keep the house | PressDemocrat.com

Old 01-27-2012, 12:34 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
HGTV Dream Home Winners - Past and Present Winners of the HGTV Dream House
http://www.nola.com/homegarden/index...s_2m_drea.html
http://www.zoominfo.com/#!search/pro...rgetid=profile
looks like a real person to me...

http://www2.prnewswire.com/mnr/hgtv/35946/docs/35946-Where_Are_They_Now_09.pdf (broken link)
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-56934267.html

etc...

I would sell too, but hey - its like winning the lottery!!

Last edited by elnina; 01-27-2012 at 12:47 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 12:36 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times
Quote:
I think you have a point because that's the same thing that happen to a some of the people that had homes built from Extreme Home Makeover. It was high taxes, electric and gas bills too.

But I know of two families in Fayetteville, NC and Fort Bragg, NC when they came to build the houses. I was actually down at Fort Bragg when Michelle Obama was there. I didnt get to see her because their was thousand of people there.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:48 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
I usually enter the HGTV Dream Home sweepstakes because the houses are always so cool. I hate that for the most part, they are located in places I would rather not want to live though. The houses in Sonoma CA and New Mexico are the only ones I could see myself living in. The others, meh, not so much.

The current giveaway in Utah I would consider. Wish they would do a dream home in Los Angeles though.

If I won, I would take out a second mortgage on either my current home or Sherman Oaks Condo. Would use the money I take out of the property to pay for the taxes on the dream home. Would then, rent out both my current home and condo to pay for the second and to have a few extra spending dollars in my pocket while living in my "Dream Home". Would then start a business in my new location to earn a living. I think that is the biggest problem for most of the people who win - affording to pay the taxes and being able to find work if/when they move to new locations.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
OK, it appears that one family actually kept it for eight years, one family nearly went broke by trying to keep it for four, and the rest quickly sold.

HGTV 'Dream Home' winners say they can't keep the house | PressDemocrat.com

Sadly, yes! But some turned it into a business... and it seems to be a good move.
HGTV Dream Home Taxes - Could Taxes End the Dream for HGTV Winners?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:01 PM

935 posts, read 3,449,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I think you have a point because that's the same thing that happen to a some of the people that had homes built from Extreme Home Makeover. It was high taxes, electric and gas bills too.
Ugh. Don't even get me started on extreme home makeover. These poor families ended up being more victims than beneficiaries. They did new construction--automatic reassessment value. In most cases, they built properties way over the average value of the surrounding neighborhood. So not only was the family saddled with a tax bill they couldn't carry, who the heck was going to buy a castle in the middle of a ghetto? And even then, the buyer would have to overlook the outlandish novelty interiors.

At least the HGTV dream homes seem to be built in area's that share a similar market value and they are decorated by conscientious licensed designers.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:27 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
One of the most recent homes was in a legitimate "ski resort" location and the family that won it has been able to rent it out to other vactioneers:

Hinsdale family plans to hit the slopes after winning mountain home — Hinsdale news, photos and events — TribLocal.com

The area where this family's regular is home is quite "upscale" altough they live in a relatively modest home. As the article states the "cash prize" meant that the whole value of the furnished vacation resort home was able to NOT have a negative income tax impact on the family.

I suspect the ability to profit / break even from a home near enough to a ski resort is one reason why there were over 75 million entries for that year's contest. I also doubt that HGTV will be able to do too many such projects as land costs in such areas tend to be sky high...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating