Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times

Advertisements

I feel like you're on the right track, but you need to reverse the position of the sofa. I think it needs to face the opposite wall.

Next, I think you should look into either buying ready made components to build a semi-custom "media wall" or hiring a carpenter to do the same thing. I would highly recommend it. You have the space, believe it or not and it would give you storage, place for the tv, and books. If you'd like an example of what I am talking about, I will be more than willing to find some.

Also, the main wall color is nice. From what I can tell, but I would reconsider the accent wall. It's absorbing all of the light that is coming in from the windows.

Lastly, the rug is too small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 07:33 AM

11 posts, read 40,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
JMO, It looks ok except for the book cases. I think it looks too crowded with them in the room. How often do you need access to the books perhaps you can purchase a coffee table that has storage underneath. You may be able to find a railing maybe wrought iron to put a bit of definition into each space that will not take up a lot of space. Another idea is to move each of the trio pieces the sofa, loveseat and chair around the rug counter clockwise one position. That way you will have more natural border without adding more furniture.

I completely agree about the bookcases. We were thinking maybe ladder bookshelves might work better like the ones at Crate and Barrel. They have a 3 piece with wine bar that looks interesting and seems a more interesting option than just 3 shelves.

Love the railing suggestion.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I feel like you're on the right track, but you need to reverse the position of the sofa. I think it needs to face the opposite wall.

Next, I think you should look into either buying ready made components to build a semi-custom "media wall" or hiring a carpenter to do the same thing. I would highly recommend it. You have the space, believe it or not and it would give you storage, place for the tv, and books. If you'd like an example of what I am talking about, I will be more than willing to find some.

Also, the main wall color is nice. From what I can tell, but I would reconsider the accent wall. It's absorbing all of the light that is coming in from the windows.

Lastly, the rug is too small.

Thanks for the suggestions..some visuals on the wall unit would help.

Putting the loveseat or sofa facing the window seems like it might limit the entry and flow into the living area....no?

We're open to any suggestions on the accent wall color.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:36 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
You indicated that you want to define the space. The sofa facing the window is one way to do that. The standard sofa is 84 inches which means you still have 7 1/2 feet to play with. You do not indicate end tables but even with one there should be enough space to have it flow just fine.

It is smart to be cognizant about things like the flow etc. but, you have certain constraints and you need to try to make the best of what you currently have to work with. Given your situation, there may be things that you will need to sacrifice.

The books are currently in storage. How long have you lived without them? If the storage space is costing you money and you don't have room, then something has to give, unless you can continue to store them. Here is a little trick I learned about moving that can be applied to your books. Inventory them with this in mind. If I had to move across country and each book was going to cost me $1 to move, would it still be important to me? If you say yes, then that one is a keeper, if not it has to go or you pay for storage. That should help weed the pile and maybe you won't need a bookcase after all.

While I would not suggest buying any old junk, I also would not be spending a ton of money on furnishing what for certain will be only a temporary home. You will get by for the short term but as the baby ages new challenges will arise with the current plan. If I were you, I would look at what you buy now as future den or playroom furniture and not over due it. I would buy the bare minimum because you will no doubt get a baby swing or playpen that will take up space and you will NEED that room as opposed to worrying about bookcases and flow. Another thought if you do insist on the bookcases, bear in mind with a child you will need to anchor them to the wall and also think about the TV table in the same light. A child will most definitely require the flow you desire to be altered by the limitations of your space. Good luck.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:46 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,749 times
CITY, I actually like it just as you have it. I find it interesting to put stuff behind a couch or whatever. HOWEVER, with that said, consider instead putting the bookcase over behind the single easy chair, sort of towards the BR hallway. That way you can pull the couch right on back to the wall where the bookcase was, making the room appear larger since it's narrow.

I happen to like your rug, and this is just another opinion here, but I would discourage you from buying anything new for the room in general unless you are missing it. In other words, while the new bookcase is a good idea since it has a bar thing, I'd say that since you already have a bookcase, no need to buy another. But if the idea of a bar appeals to you, you could save money by buying an old antique "bar table" sort of piece from an inexpensive store, just so it has a small rectangle tabletop, then you could refinish it or paint it, put glass on top and a small lamp, and simply put bottles, glasses, and such on top. Then it could either be put next to the bookcase to imitate the new one you wanted, or really ANYwhere near the dining area, as for example a sort of low "divider" between the dining area and the couch, or against the short wall between the LR entry and bedroom hall.

But if something inspires you that you don't mind spending money on it to make your apartment really special, and it's something you would keep for a long while, go for it. I am just of the mind you use what you got and make it work, so you don't waste a lot of cash you may need for far more important things. By the by, curtains can cost a lot, so for years I used to buy yards of material I particularly liked, and I'd hand-stitch it over so I could slip it on a rod, hem the bottom sometimes, and those would be my el-cheapo curtains! But the sheers should indeed be purchased, and there ARE inexpensive premade curtains.

I have given more thought for the windows right over the heat/ac radiator thing. Originally I had automatically thought you should have nice long curtains all the way across, and the ideas others had put about sheers underneath really made a lot of sense for you. But since long curtains won't work over the heat/ac thing, it created a dilemma of only making them short above the heat/ac. So, I DO think curtains that only go to the bottom of the windows, but still all the way across to give the impression that there are more windows over there to bring a balanced look, then the length of the curtain really shouldn't make any difference, becuz it will still be quite dramatic to bring them all the way over even as "short" curtains.

But I definitely think your layout is making a lot of sense now. These other offerings are just tweaks that you can try or not. I hope you're starting to get excited about the whole situation now! GG

Old 03-16-2012, 01:50 PM

Thanks again for all the great advice. I feel the living space is coming together and certainly more comfortable than what we had before.

Our books are boxed and taking up space in one of the closets so we're not paying anything extra to store them. We were using a built-in to store them in our old place so we will have to buy a couple of bookcases.

We have base and shoe molding in our living room so the leaning shelves seem like a good way around them. Will keep refining but much happier with the layout now.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 867 times
Hello,
Please help with my living room, measures 24x14, very long and narrow room and I have no clue how to arrange furniture. Trying to give picture of room, to give you the idea.

24' with 9' FT opening going into Dining Room @ 3' FT from end of wall / 14' with door way on end / 24' with 6' FT half wall opening @ door way on the same end of the other 24' FT wall / 14' FT with hall way

My couch has chaise on end (either side), two chairs and TV, I could add other furniture to separate the room if suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating